F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 My dealer will be asking over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 AM
etl330
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
They are not flying off the lots by any means, don't buy into the BS. Over MSRP for this car is ridiculous, it is already priced well above its competition.
exactly my thinking...one dealer, who lied to me about a lot of things including the Paceman flying off their lot so fast they can't keep them in stock, told me that all their new Minis are sold and the only one I could have is the base bare bones demo they had or I'd have to order one. I would've believed that except two other dealers told me they have a number of available ones coming in and getting one wouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerhands
I'm casting a wide net. I basically want a small, preferably 2-door hatch, a front wheel drive car [since it's been winter here for the last 6 months]. I have some stuff to haul, sometimes, but mostly I go from here, 40 minutes to work.

Cars I have test driven, I like and will consider if I can't option an F56 to my liking:
Honda CR-Z
R56 (I want better l/100km)
Nissan Juke
If mpg is a major consideration, you may want to consider the non-S F56; it is rated for better mileage than any R56-derived model.

(On the other hand: new model BMW = teething pains. The first safety recall has already hit.)

VW Beetle TDI (I'm expecting I will not fit in this)
You may be pleasantly surprised. The beetle (both current and last model) are very friendly to very large drivers.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
If mpg is a major consideration, you may want to consider the non-S F56; it is rated for better mileage than any R56-derived model.

(On the other hand: new model BMW = teething pains. The first safety recall has already hit.)

You may be pleasantly surprised. The beetle (both current and last model) are very friendly to very large drivers.
You might want to qualify that statement by explaining it was limited to a very small subset of Coopers and that MINI has already shipped replacement parts prior to any official delivery dates.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
How big are your or what is your shape?
I'm 6’3” ish, and pushing close to enormous. Think offensive-lineman-sized.

The Golf, my knee hit the steering wheel when my foot was on the brake.

The Smart I haven't sat in since I bought my last car, but it still has no tilt, and I couldn't get under the steering wheel. I did try the IQ with the same results.

The Yaris I was fine with back in 2006, but I felt I was right up against the side window this year. I had to keep my elbow tucked in hsrd. I had dismissed it last time because of the body roll.

The Mitsibushi and Spark, were like the Yaris, and worse. I couldn't close the door in the Mitsubishi.

I drove an Acura Integra for about 12 years and the Scion TC is like a clone of it, I was quite confortable in it. I lean the seat back, probably more than is safe. I expect the BRZ/FR-S would be similar.

The CR-Z felt a bit odd, like it was a long way to reach to the steering wheel. I felt tense, I think it was just the traffic, but it could have been the driving position. I really liked that car. I like CVT, the R50 you can see in the attachment in my previous post was a CVT, I loved everything about that car.

I fit in the Fiat without a sunroof, but I will think I would fit in the Abrath if I tilt the seat.

Last edited by hammerhands; 04-07-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm 6’3” ish, and pushing close to enormous. Think offensive-lineman-sized.
The Mini sport seats will be a bad thing for you. The side bolsters on the seat and the back of the seat hold me pretty tight and I'm 5'10" 160 lbs.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The Mini sport seats will be a bad thing for you. The side bolsters on the seat and the back of the seat hold me pretty tight and I'm 5'10" 160 lbs.
They're adjustable. I'm 6'2'' and unfortunately pushing 200lbs right now and they fit perfectly.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
How do you adjust them?

I sat in an F56 with sports seats a couple of weeks ago and it felt very tight.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
You might want to qualify that statement by explaining it was limited to a very small subset of Coopers and that MINI has already shipped replacement parts prior to any official delivery dates.
I don't want to, actually. It happens only on the three-cylinder F56, yes, but there are plenty of customers in the UK and Europe who have received their cars in the past couple months who will need the fix. (The US launch was delayed due to UK/EU demand, according to BMW. Someone was buying those cars ) There also are US customers who already have taken delivery of F56 Coopers, as MINI USA itself confirmed – although, to be fair, they do call it a "very small number".

The history of owners on this forum has established beyond any reasonable doubt that the first model years of new MINI designs have problems; we see the same thing in BMW forums.

We've just seen the first problem occur. So the old pattern appears to remain in effect. So, I stand by what I wrote: New model BMW = teething pains.

I'm very glad BMW found this early. But it's real and it's significant. If not noticed by the owner, a gasket leaking coolant can lead to the engine overheating and damaging itself. Running an engine with insufficient coolant is a recipe for a warped head at best, and a fire at worst.

I hope I don't sound too terribly disagreeable — but BMW model teething pains is a real thing.

(Perhaps it's inevitable with smaller production volumes, which justify less development cost, and product engineering focused on performance more than reliability. Maybe BMW is content to fix problems in the field; maybe this lets them design and go into production faster and with less cost. Your guess is as good as mine, if not better.)

Anyhow. I look forward to returning to the usual F56 enthusiasm now. The design has grown on me and I can't wait to test drive one. But I'll be hanging onto my Clubman for a few more years yet.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Carnut12
1st Gear
How do you adjust them?

I sat in an F56 with sports seats a couple of weeks ago and it felt very tight.
There is a round dial on the inside top portion of the seat that does the adjustment.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
They are not flying off the lots by any means, don't buy into the BS. Over MSRP for this car is ridiculous, it is already priced well above its competition.
Technically, I guess, since they can't actually release them to customers yet :P

Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Carnut12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Technically, I guess, since they can't actually release them to customers yet :P
True, but they do not have a wait to order one. Cars that have sold at or over MSRP in the past have had dozens of pre-orders at every dealer, I have not seen that in any dealer I have contacted.

This forum shows you the level of interest. I am not knocking the car, I am more than likely buying one, but to pay MSRP or over based off my research is silly.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to, actually. It happens only on the three-cylinder F56, yes, but there are plenty of customers in the UK and Europe who have received their cars in the past couple months who will need the fix. (The US launch was delayed due to UK/EU demand, according to BMW. Someone was buying those cars ) There also are US customers who already have taken delivery of F56 Coopers, as MINI USA itself confirmed – although, to be fair, they do call it a "very small number".

The history of owners on this forum has established beyond any reasonable doubt that the first model years of new MINI designs have problems; we see the same thing in BMW forums.

We've just seen the first problem occur. So the old pattern appears to remain in effect. So, I stand by what I wrote: New model BMW = teething pains.

I'm very glad BMW found this early. But it's real and it's significant. If not noticed by the owner, a gasket leaking coolant can lead to the engine overheating and damaging itself. Running an engine with insufficient coolant is a recipe for a warped head at best, and a fire at worst.

I hope I don't sound too terribly disagreeable — but BMW model teething pains is a real thing.

(Perhaps it's inevitable with smaller production volumes, which justify less development cost, and product engineering focused on performance more than reliability. Maybe BMW is content to fix problems in the field; maybe this lets them design and go into production faster and with less cost. Your guess is as good as mine, if not better.)

Anyhow. I look forward to returning to the usual F56 enthusiasm now. The design has grown on me and I can't wait to test drive one. But I'll be hanging onto my Clubman for a few more years yet.
This is why I am going to go with a 3-year lease rather than a longer term loan. I'd prefer to have FULL coverage for the entire time I have the car. I don't want to take any changes of issues cropping up (and expensive repairs) when the warranty expires.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not likely that dealers will be giving discounts other than the MINI Loyaty/College Grad/USAA discounts. Not on a brand new model like this. Some might, but I doubt it will be many. To pay over MSRP is crazy.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
Yeah I'd have to tell them to drop dead and go to their competition. That's how I ended up at MINI. VW is next door, I wanted a GTI. Their attitude of their cars made me leave, and drive back through laughing in my new MINI as I left from the purchase. I was going to buy a GTI that day, but fuggem.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be clear, the service bulletin for the oil filter housing concern applies to both B38M (3-cyl) and B48M (4-cyl) F56 motors. All models are stop sale and replacement parts are now arriving at the dealer to correct those vehicles already in customer hands. It is not a safety recall but a stop order to update a part that MAY cause a problem. (similar to the 7-series e-brake switch and the new X5 had one as well) It is important to note that there has not been one reported failure, leak, damage, accident or otherwise. I applaud MINI for taking such quick action on making it right (customers inconvenienced will receive a $250 credit toward accessories or apparel).

As for keeping your '09 Clubman S, I applaud your loyalty to the N14 engine. Speaking of teething pains - there wasn't more that could have gone wrong with that motor! I would rather have the updated N18 or definitely these newer B38M/B48M engines any day. Even the W11 motor is an improvement!

Wait and buy a 2016 model, with some bugs worked out and the new 9HP transmission.

And it is ridiculous (to get back on topic) that ANY dealer is charging over MSRP.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MINIwuff
As for keeping your '09 Clubman S, I applaud your loyalty to the N14 engine. Speaking of teething pains - there wasn't more that could have gone wrong with that motor!
"Loyalty" is a strong term. The N14 is the worst engine in MINI's brief history. The. Worst. Tomorrow morning I'm borrow in my wife's CMS to go to the dealer and buy a new thermostat for my clubby. Never again buying a car with a French-designed and built engine.

The only nice thing I can say about the N14 is that it's many, many failure modes are now well understood.

Love my Clubman, but not her engine. I've considered trading her in for an N18-based LCI clubbie or a Countryman. (I do enjoy driving my wife's!) But I've decided to wait for the F-series to get a couple model years history to work out the bugs, then trade for the rumored 4-door hatch or next gen Clubman (if they don't screw it up — that Clubman Concept has a seriously fugly rear end.)

Originally Posted by MINIwuff
Wait and buy a 2016 model, with some bugs worked out and the new 9HP transmission. And it is ridiculous (to get back on topic) that ANY dealer is charging over MSRP.
Indeed. And I shall pay under MSRP!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM
WestonJCW
3rd Gear
At Vista they're asking for MSRP+$399 "paint protection package"+$699 'dealer fee.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by WestonJCW
At Vista they're asking for MSRP+$399 "paint protection package"+$699 'dealer fee.
If there were truth-in-invoicing laws, that would read:

Spray-on wax: $399.00
Pay us to fill out the paperwork we have to do anyway: $699.00

Can't believe throwbacks like this still exist.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM
russmini
4th Gear
What, no undercoating?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Yes, it is pretty great. The thing I didn't know when I tried to sit in the Golf is that the steering column is telescopic.

Well, now I'm so close to buying an F56 and I'm having second thoughts.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM
UberFisch
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
It is not likely that dealers will be giving discounts other than the MINI Loyaty/College Grad/USAA discounts. Not on a brand new model like this. Some might, but I doubt it will be many. To pay over MSRP is crazy.
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Bob on this one.