F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 For those trying to choose between a 2013 R56 and a 2014 F56

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slag1911
Just the quality reputation of the R56 alone is enough to totally avoid this "Mustang II" of the MINI brand. The F56 on the other hand holds great promise to correct everything that the bean counters mucked up with the R56, including quality. The F56 far exceeds the R56 in any number of areas, including a superior drive train, far superior interior, and outstanding electronics. Personally, I think the F56 is going to repair and restore the damage done to the MINI brand by the R56.
The only problem... Have you looked at the thing? Serious ugly!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM
GT Larry
Neutral
I totally agree with the ref. to the R56 being compared to the Mustang ll. My 2007 gave me nothing but heartaches when the odometer hit approx. 37k miles--all problems related to the #*%+@* turbocharger.
Originally Posted by CobraBob
The R56 is a very good MINI. References to it being the Mustang II of the MINI generations is nonsense. I test drove two last year and two in February. I thoroughly enjoyed the cars I drove. The F56 is an evolutionary platform upgrade. And a fine one at that. While I definitely prefer the new F56, I would have bought an R56 in a heartbeat if the F56 didn't exist.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slag1911
I think folks are on pretty solid ground saying that the F56 drive train quality (BMW sourced) is going to completely blow away the R56 Prince. The reality is that the R56 is so plagued with quality issues, its a safe bet even pre-launch to predict the overall quality of the F56 is going to far exceed the R56. Again, this is a statement of the R56's historically poor quality more than anything else.

What did you do? Just copy the comments you posted on the F56 forum and paste them here?? At least have a little originality in your R56 bashing.... instead of your tiresome "Mustang II" analogy, If you're going to be cheeky and try and p!#s off as many of us R56 owners as you possibly can, why not just go for it and troll for the deep blue sea... Vega? Pinto? Gremlin? Lots of lemons in the U.S. (not to mention internationally) for you to at least choose from worth at least a giggle from folks who know what pointless bashing your nonsense is anyway. For that matter, why not go for broke and bash ALL 2nd generation MINIs... R55, R57, and R60? Aggravate all of us. Guess you think the GP isn't up to snuff either... Love my 2013 R56. Adored my '09 R56 (no problems with either). The R53 is extremely cool too - reignited the love affair everyone has with these bulldogs; jury's out on the F56 - always some bugs to work out on a new model, but they're all extremely cool. Either way, love thy MINI.... so, sock us to it, man, how about a little creativity!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Do not feed the trolls!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i'm just waiting to see F56s start to come out to autox. Other areas of the MINI don't really impact me. I'll say this though - base cooper vs base cooper, one is going to be more reliable than the other - and it won't be the turbocharged one... base r56s have had almost none of the problems the turbo s's have had

Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cary Cooper
What did you do? Just copy the comments you posted on the F56 forum and paste them here?? At least have a little originality in your R56 bashing.... instead of your tiresome "Mustang II" analogy, If you're going to be cheeky and try and p!#s off as many of us R56 owners as you possibly can, why not just go for it and troll for the deep blue sea... Vega? Pinto? Gremlin? Lots of lemons in the U.S. (not to mention internationally) for you to at least choose from worth at least a giggle from folks who know what pointless bashing your nonsense is anyway. For that matter, why not go for broke and bash ALL 2nd generation MINIs... R55, R57, and R60? Aggravate all of us. Guess you think the GP isn't up to snuff either... Love my 2013 R56. Adored my '09 R56 (no problems with either). The R53 is extremely cool too - reignited the love affair everyone has with these bulldogs; jury's out on the F56 - always some bugs to work out on a new model, but they're all extremely cool. Either way, love thy MINI.... so, sock us to it, man, how about a little creativity!
Amen! Slag's avatar pretty much says it all.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GT Larry
I totally agree with the ref. to the R56 being compared to the Mustang ll. My 2007 gave me nothing but heartaches when the odometer hit approx. 37k miles--all problems related to the #*%+@* turbocharger.

Exactly... and as the F56 rolls out... most are going to see the R56 in the same light.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
Cant we all just agree that the F56 is different than the R56. "Better" is a subjective term that we just don't have the data on yet. In addition, better or worse can apply to different areas for example I think most would agree at this point that interior material quality is "better" in the F56 but most think that body styling is "better" in the R56.
Any one speaking about reliability at this point is speaking out of their butt. We know the issues of the R56, but know NOTHING about the reliability of the F56 and wont for months/years.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And what's with all this Mustang II bashing ?
http://www.fifteen52.us/project-st/w...02/farrah.jpeg

Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
GT Larry
Neutral
R56 Epic Problems

Cary, sorry I didnt realize you Britts offended so easily. And for a geography lesson; Regarding the R56, denial is not a river in North Africa.

Regards, Larry

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Did we forget the Hold on the F56?
Yeah I know it will be fixed, but just like the R56 items were fixed.
I'd be more in line to wait out the next shoe to drop with the F56 and then see what the owners of them have to say while driving them back to dealers for updates/replacement parts!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by steve1ddd
Do not feed the trolls!
Ok, ok... Fine...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Cary, sorry I didnt realize you Britts offended so easily. And for a geography lesson; Regarding the R56, denial is not a river in North Africa.

Regards, Larry
Nope...sorry... wrong continent, wrong geomorphic feature. d'Nile; however, is a brilliant wine bar in Kansas City, though.. Sorry, Larry. Might want to pack your bags for a motoring adventure... That mighty endless flow of brilliant Chardonnays like a mighty river...'sigh'.. So,..., guess that means by logic of the quip, since the place does in fact exist, one's faith in the R56 is not so misplaced afterall, eh. Cheers, mate (might want to review that map of yours again. Think you got an old one) - harhar Seriously, no offence taken. I like 'em. Glad you like the F56. Motor on!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 AM
slag1911
4th Gear

Regards, Larry
Exactly. The "quality" or actually the lack of quality of the R56 Prince is well documented. You certainly don't have to journey out far on the limb to predict that the F56, with its BMW sourced drive train is going to deliver far superior quality as compared to the R56, that's for sure .

Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Yawn!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
It's not really fair to compare cars built 7 years apart. I would hope the new ones are better, but each gen has it's virtues. I think many R56 issues were due to extended service intervals.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
lol this slag guy. determined.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
It's funny to see all the fighting and comparisons of the R53/R56/F56. It's no different than when the new versions of Corvettes come out. Being a fan and previous owner of Corvettes, every time a new version was released, people hated it, myself included. I will admit, I hated the C6 version but it grew on me, and now the C7 is out and in the beginning I didn't like it but it's growing on me. With each new version, they fixed and/or improved the car and the performance in each addition but you have the diehard lovers of the C1, C2, C3, etc..they hate every version after theirs. This is no different than Mini owners...

I guess what I am trying to get at is why not just wait till the car has been out on the road for a while before making comments as to whether its better in this department or better in that department. We have all read the articles, we know what the car is supposed to provide, so lets just wait. I know that won't happen but it's a thought, let's wait before comparing. The one thing everyone has to remember is that with each new version of a car, it is "supposed" to be better than the previous version.

I don't like the look of the F56 but IMO if they just changed the front end and the tailights, it would be a lot nicer looking.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
^ so true - you guys need to see the evo 8/9 vs evo 10 infighting lol - this is nothing compared to that!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini-b10
It's funny to see all the fighting and comparisons of the R53/R56/F56. It's no different than when the new versions of Corvettes come out. Being a fan and previous owner of Corvettes, every time a new version was released, people hated it, myself included. I will admit, I hated the C6 version but it grew on me, and now the C7 is out and in the beginning I didn't like it but it's growing on me. With each new version, they fixed and/or improved the car and the performance in each addition but you have the diehard lovers of the C1, C2, C3, etc..they hate every version after theirs. This is no different than Mini owners...

I guess what I am trying to get at is why not just wait till the car has been out on the road for a while before making comments as to whether its better in this department or better in that department. We have all read the articles, we know what the car is supposed to provide, so lets just wait. I know that won't happen but it's a thought, let's wait before comparing. The one thing everyone has to remember is that with each new version of a car, it is "supposed" to be better than the previous version.

I don't like the look of the F56 but IMO if they just changed the front end and the tailights, it would be a lot nicer looking.
+1...I can't see myself driving the F56 unless they change that on the MCS...or I can put the JCW aero kit on it.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini-b10

I don't know what your talking about - everyone knows everything after a 72 Vette is junk

Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Mini-b10
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
I don't know what your talking about - everyone knows everything after a 72 Vette is junk
WHAT!?!?!?

That's why I have a '71 sitting in a garage in storage.