F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Electronic handbrake not disengaging and auto gearbox issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:56 AM
deebo007
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic handbrake not disengaging and auto gearbox issue

Hi all, I have a 2020 JCW Clubman, which I’ve owned for just over 1 week. I have the following issues:
  • On several occasions, when pulling away the handbrake has not automatically disengaged;
  • On just one occasion, the auto gearbox (8 speed torque converter) has got stuck in reverse. Only after changing through the gears for several minutes did the car eventually engage neutral.

Has anyone else encountered these issues, and how were they resolved?

Old 04-29-2024, 12:05 PM
deebo007
Neutral
To add, I’ve also noticed that the handbrake does not automatically engage when the car is in Park, or when the engine is turned off.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:18 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
Can't speak to the tranny gear issue other than my '17 has never acted as such. I wonder if the switch in the shifter base is malfunctioning or if there is a cable issue. Best to bring it in for a check.

I have noticed that the parking brake will remain engaged until you 'blip' the throttle. If you gently push on the throttle, like normally pulling out of a parking spot mine will stay engaged. Not sure if the newer models have auto-engage on the parking brake, but I have to manually pull the tab every time I park. Wish I could add more, but hope this helps a little.

The following users liked this post:
deebo007 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 10:39 AM
deebo007
Neutral
Originally Posted by WhatV8
Can't speak to the tranny gear issue other than my '17 has never acted as such. I wonder if the switch in the shifter base is malfunctioning or if there is a cable issue. Best to bring it in for a check.

I have noticed that the parking brake will remain engaged until you 'blip' the throttle. If you gently push on the throttle, like normally pulling out of a parking spot mine will stay engaged. Not sure if the newer models have auto-engage on the parking brake, but I have to manually pull the tab every time I park. Wish I could add more, but hope this helps a little.
That’s really helpful, thanks so much. I’ve noticed that the battery wasn’t holding charge, so have replaced it today. Hopefully the gearbox issue was due to a voltage problem and the new battery solves it. I’ll provide an update when I know more.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:35 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by deebo007
That’s really helpful, thanks so much. I’ve noticed that the battery wasn’t holding charge, so have replaced it today. Hopefully the gearbox issue was due to a voltage problem and the new battery solves it. I’ll provide an update when I know more.
With everything that is electronically controlled on our cars, having a voltage issue can certainly create all kinds of strange behavior. I hope the battery replacement clears up the tranny issue.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:26 AM
deebo007
Neutral
All seems to be OK since the battery replacement. I'll update if anything changes.