F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Dinan looking for B36 or 38 in SF bay area

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by mkt3000
I've been given a heads up from both my contacts at BMW NA and my SA to return my car's powertrain to stock before bringing it in for even a regular service. An email has been sent to dealers alerting them that any piggyback boxes -including Dinan - will result in voiding powertrain warranties.

Before I brought my car in a few weeks ago to replace some trim pieces and engine mounts, I took 20 minutes and removed my power module and my intake.
Okay, so both of your contacts were not quite right. Having a Dinan add-on tuner box should not, in and of itself, void any warranty. Other brands?? Don't know.

Where it might get dicey is if you present the dealer with a driveability/drivetrain complaint and it turns out a part might have been damaged as a result of the add-on, then the conversation begins.

IMHO, best to take it off before seeing a dealer. Or if one is experiencing a driveability issue, contact Dinan first. And then remove the box if a visit to the dealer is required.

I reached out to Dinan, who, you see from the thread, responded.

Some BMW dealers are still selling and installing Dinan, so if anyone is worried, I'd suggest they pay to have a Dinan-authorized BMW/MINI dealer do the installation.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:28 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I reached out to Dinan, who, you see from the thread, responded.

Some BMW dealers are still selling and installing Dinan, so if anyone is worried, I'd suggest they pay to have a Dinan-authorized BMW/MINI dealer do the installation.
They did- and basically, if BMW refuses to pay for a warranty claimed caused by the elite box, Dinan will - but for any other, you're SOL.

I agree though, if just for peace of mind, remove the box before you bring the car in.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What makes you think they can't figure out that you had the piggyback device on the car. Any recorded engine operating parameters are going to be off from the norm. I'd bet that if it was a big enough deal they would be able to snag you. Computer power rules.