F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 F54 Clubman Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
After less than 1,000 miles we're giving up on the Pirelli latest generation run flats. The Pirellis are going into the garage, to be re-fitted onto our Clubby when it's time for lease return. After talking with experts at Tire Rack, the local Vogue Tyre distributor, the local Cooper CS5 tire expert, as well as extensive reading all over NAM, we decided to try Vogue Signature V 225/45/17's -- same size as came with the car.
http://www.voguetyre.com/tyredetail....re%20V%20Black
Just ordered a set of these. For anyone interested (no affiliation) DiscountTireDirect just announced their labor day sale, and you can score a $100 visa card rebate on a set of 4 tires, so the total cost for these comes down to $296 for a set of for - or about $20 more than the dealer-installed cost doe one single pirelli runflat
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/labor-day

Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
About 5,000 miles on our Vogues. Break-in took a couple hundred miles, I'd say. No issues thus far. They look brand new. Did very well on a road trip in over 100 degree weather -- can't imagine the asphalt temp heading down the Central Valley in California. And the twisties on the mountain driving portion of the trip posed no challenge for the Vogues. Not a squeal or a shimmy.

I'm using nitrogen fill -- no idea if that makes any difference or if it's all hype. But the tire dealer swears by it and does not charge extra for nitrogen.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm using nitrogen fill -- no idea if that makes any difference or if it's all hype. But the tire dealer swears by it and does not charge extra for nitrogen.
Nitrogen fill is worth it - if it's free.

Tirerack has an excellent treatise on the topic: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=191

FWIW, I used nitrogen in the race car tires. But the primary benefit for me was that it was a lot more convenient to tote around a large nitrogen tank and regulator than it was to deal with an air compressor (it's loud, slow, and requires power).

What should have been the #1 benefit is more predictable pressure gain from heat (due to lower moisture content) -- but this never seemed true. I think it really only works if you can successfully fully evacuate the moisture prior to filling, and to do that right requires a wheel with more than one valve. Other racers had setups like that, but at the end of the day, I was too cheap.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 AM
NJbinky
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just swapped out the original 17s with Pirelli RFs (first time owning run flats and was immediately ambivalent about them) with the 16" tires from my previous car, a VW Golf TDI. They're Nokian WRG3s, and had less than 5000 miles on them when Dieselgate kind of forced my hand to do the buyback on my Golf. I plunked down for new BBS wheels from Tire Rack since the tires are 4 seasons and I might end up running them year-round after the Pirellis are done. The downsizing and going to traditional rubber definitely softened the ride a bit, but not overly so and actually are better suited for a middle-aged daily driver. I had the Nokians for one winter and they did okay especially for NJ where the winters aren't predictable and roads do get cleared, sooner or later.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Went to my tire vendor for complimentary rotation after 6,000 miles on the Vogues. The guy examined each tire and said I must be taking it really easy on the tires as there was no evidence of wear. He said the alignment on the car must be perfect, which amazes me as I've never had it adjusted -- it is as it came off the boat.

I have not been taking it easy. No drifting or racing or track days, but I sure do motor. I keep the nitrogen pressure at spec (35 front/32 rear). Other than that, I just drive. So far, so good.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:19 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Just finished a JD Powers survey - the focus was on the OEM tires. Boy did I have a lot to say about the OEM Pirelli run flats Hey, they asked and gave me a crisp new dollar bill for my trouble. So I told um.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Update

So, an update on the Vogues I put on to replace the Pirelli run-flats...
Had been noticing some speed-sensitive "wamp wamp" noise on the highway of late, and went in to get it checked out for a potential bad wheel bearing. Well, the source of the noise is apparently uneven tire wear - must've gotten the alignment knocked out on a pot-hole, and it went uncorrected for so long that the rears are wearing unevenly to compensate. But that's not the main problem... the overall wear on these tires after less than a year (and about 6k miles) is more than 40%. The front left is down to less than 1/3 of its tread I know 4WD systems in general ccontribute more tire wear, but this seems a little too excessive (for the record, the Pirellis also wore out fast).

Any recommendations for a good all season tire that's also hard wearing? I know snow-capability and hard-compound are normally mutually exclusive, but something with a bit more longevity would be welcome. Forking over for 4 new tires every year is not something I had been looking forward to when purchasing this car.

And yes, I'll get a proper alignment done when the new tires go on (was advised not to do it until after that - correcting it now would just accenuate the noise from the current uneven tire wear, and potentially increase vibration wear on other components).

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Virgilstar
So, an update on the Vogues I put on to replace the Pirelli run-flats...
Had been noticing some speed-sensitive "wamp wamp" noise on the highway of late, and went in to get it checked out for a potential bad wheel bearing. Well, the source of the noise is apparently uneven tire wear - must've gotten the alignment knocked out on a pot-hole, and it went uncorrected for so long that the rears are wearing unevenly to compensate. But that's not the main problem... the overall wear on these tires after less than a year (and about 6k miles) is more than 40%. The front left is down to less than 1/3 of its tread I know 4WD systems in general ccontribute more tire wear, but this seems a little too excessive (for the record, the Pirellis also wore out fast).
Man, I feel bad for you. I would definitely contact the Vogue company directly. I spoke with them prior to deciding to buy Vogues for my Clubby. I've got over 11,000 miles on my set, rotated once at 6,000, and had an alignment done (for free) by my MINI dealer as part of my 10K scheduled service -- they did some front suspension work under warranty so did an alignment as well.

My tires are just starting to show a little wear on the fronts. Backs look almost new. I do run them a little lower PSI than factory spec (30 rear/32~33 front when cold) because they gain a pound or two or three once warmed up. But I do like the calmer ride even though it may not be optimal for the tires.

Anyway, I think 40% gone in 6,000 miles under normal driving is cause for someone from the factory to take a good look. Please keep us posted.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM
goclubman
1st Gear
After less than 1,000 miles we're giving up on the Pirelli latest generation run flats. The Pirellis are going into the garage, to be re-fitted onto our Clubby when it's time for lease return.

After talking with experts at Tire Rack, the local Vogue Tyre distributor, the local Cooper CS5 tire expert, as well as extensive reading all over NAM, we decided to try Vogue Signature V 225/45/17's -- same size as came with the car.

http://www.voguetyre.com/tyredetail....re%20V%20Black

The cool thing about the blackwall Vogues, (which I always thought were whitewall tires only made for pimped out Caddys) is they are built as a long-wearing ultra high performance touring tire designed for quiet, smoothness, and handling. The sidewalls are supposed to be flexible yet robust. The warranty is exceptional. And they come with a 30 day trial -- if we don't like them, they'll take them back and give an exchange or refund.

We're scheduled to get them fitted later this week, for a drive off cost of less than $475 including all taxes and California mandated fees.

Looking forward to reporting on how they feel.

Anyone else trying something different for their F54?
I have had my car almost 2 years now and I’m not being told I will have to replace the Pirelli run flats soon. This is the 2nd time now.

I really don’t want to stick with Pirelli, are there any good run flats or all season tires you’d recommend? I’m in Utah and the weather is getting to ramp up here in the coming months.

I’d love slightly larger tires as well, perhaps with spacers? Any help would be great. I don’t want to shell out another $950 for replacement tires that don’t last very long

Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by goclubman

I have had my car almost 2 years now and I’m not being told I will have to replace the Pirelli run flats soon. This is the 2nd time now.

I really don’t want to stick with Pirelli, are there any good run flats or all season tires you’d recommend? I’m in Utah and the weather is getting to ramp up here in the coming months.

I’d love slightly larger tires as well, perhaps with spacers? Any help would be great. I don’t want to shell out another $950 for replacement tires that don’t last very long
First you need to decide if you feel you can live without the runflat option -- if you don't need run flats, there are many choices.I would talk to tire rack.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 AM
goclubman
1st Gear
First you need to decide if you feel you can live without the runflat option -- if you don't need run flats, there are many choices.I would talk to tire rack.
I’ve actually really enjoyed the run flats themselves. But should the life cycle of them really be that short?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator

I’ve actually really enjoyed the run flats themselves. But should the life cycle of them really be that short?
I've got over 10,000 miles on my Vogues, rotated once about 6,000 miles ago. They still look and drive near-new. Yet another poster who got the Vogues has had rapid wear on his.

The OEM run flats wear quickly, but less than 10,000 miles of use is hard to understand unless one drives in a very spirited fashion. But, overall, run flats are known for fast wear.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
goclubman
1st Gear
I’ve heard good things with the Vogues honestly, and thanks for the link. I might just pick those up, especially for the price.

I am also wanting a more roadstery look with some spacers to bring out the tires a bit more, does anyone have any experience with spacers?

Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by goclubman;4418255[left
I am also wanting a more roadstery look with some spacers to bring out the tires a bit more, does anyone have any experience with spacers?[/left]
Might try some of the vendors who advertise and post here on NAM. Several do a lot with wheel and suspension mods. ECS, Outmotoring, MiniMania, Way, to name a few. Check the Vendor Directory for details

ECSTuning (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM
goclubman
1st Gear
Might try some of the vendors who advertise and post here on NAM. Several do a lot with wheel and suspension mods. ECS, Outmotoring, MiniMania, Way, to name a few. Check the Vendor Directory for details
I’m very much new to all of this. My clubman is my first new car ever, so it’s tough to figure out what you can do with them really.

appreocate this forum for all the support, it’s helps a lot!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I’m very much new to all of this. My clubman is my first new car ever, so it’s tough to figure out what you can do with them really.

appreocate this forum for all the support, it’s helps a lot!

Spacers are here for the F54: https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2017-...heels/Spacers/

We have sets with the appropriate wheel bolts, i would get one of those sets.
Let me know if you need anything else.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

I pulled my OEM Pirelli's this past spring due to a pothole eating a hole in one sidewall and with only ~40% tread left, I wasn't going to replace a single. The sticker shock also prevented me from replacing (2) of them, so I decided to go non-runflat...not because of ride quality, more due to tire weight and cost. I ended up going with BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S in the stock size and have been very happy with them so far in only summer/wet weather, still have to see how they do in the snow this winter. The BFG's even held up to a HPDE track day w/o too much wear, mainly a little reduction in shoulder sharpness. They full set of (4) BFG tires from my local Discount Tire was the same price as (2) OEM Pirelli RF's. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
The 1st thing I did after I brought my Clubby home replaced them new Pirelli P7 with a set of Yokohama S Drive tires like I had on my F56 the difference was like day and night the waiving was gone so was the road noise. Never liked the P7 not on my Abarth or on the Clubby they do not grip well and wear down really fast. At $80 to 89.00 the S drive is a bargain and looks great on a Mini.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revi...kohama/S_Drive

Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Finally figured out the problem. Took the car to a good (and I mean really good!) shop and had a good alignment done with new tires fitted. Both camber and toe were way off the charts at the back, and camber at the front too. All very far outside spec'. My guess is it may have even been misaligned from the factory, hence the rapid wear on both the original Pirelli run-flats and the replacement vogues. Anyway, I put a set of Conti TractionPros on and now it feels completely different. Buttery smooth and quiet on the highway, and a small bump in fuel efficiency too. I used to have a Miata years ago and that car was super sensitive to alignments. I figured the F54 would not be so finicky, but that was a mistake.
Moral 1 - when you hit a big pothole, go get an alignment right away, don't leave it.
Moral 2 - when fitting new tires, find a good alignment shop (I went to this place - https://www.thelittlespeedshop.com/alignments/ - no affiliation).

2017All4 (09-18-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:05 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switched to non runflats after I had a blow out of one of my Pirelli P7's and found out that it would cost almost $400 for one tire. Switched to Kelly Edge HP. Immediately I noticed a big difference in how it rode and handled. Still trying to sell my 3 P7's with 15k on them.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 AM
jcwmarv
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting new tires/wheels tomorrow, will 4 tires fit in the back of the clubman with seats down?

Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jcwmarv
Getting new tires/wheels tomorrow, will 4 tires fit in the back of the clubman with seats down?
They'll fit easily. I had the tire shop bag the take off tires so they wouldn't get the boot of my Good Truck dirty.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I do not see a problem I got 4 tires and wheels in my F56 also So plenty of room in the Clubby..

Old 11-07-2018, 03:23 PM
jcwmarv
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheels and tires on for Winter! 17 inch down from 18 and non run flats: Motegi MR118 and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Tight Squeeze with the Brembo brakes

The following 2 users liked this post by jcwmarv:
ECSTuning (11-08-2018), Evlkarl (11-15-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I will never understand black wheels. You can't see them!

Quick Reply: F54 F54 Clubman Tires