North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f54-clubman-talk-2015-442/)
-   -   F54 F54 Clubman Tires (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f54-clubman-talk-2015/309943-f54-clubman-tires.html)

2017All4 12-13-2016 05:23 PM

F54 Clubman Tires

After less than 1,000 miles we're giving up on the Pirelli latest generation run flats. The Pirellis are going into the garage, to be re-fitted onto our Clubby when it's time for lease return.

After talking with experts at Tire Rack, the local Vogue Tyre distributor, the local Cooper CS5 tire expert, as well as extensive reading all over NAM, we decided to try Vogue Signature V 225/45/17's -- same size as came with the car.

http://www.voguetyre.com/tyredetail....re%20V%20Black

The cool thing about the blackwall Vogues, (which I always thought were whitewall tires only made for pimped out Caddys) is they are built as a long-wearing ultra high performance touring tire designed for quiet, smoothness, and handling. The sidewalls are supposed to be flexible yet robust. The warranty is exceptional. And they come with a 30 day trial -- if we don't like them, they'll take them back and give an exchange or refund.

We're scheduled to get them fitted later this week, for a drive off cost of less than $475 including all taxes and California mandated fees.

Looking forward to reporting on how they feel.

Anyone else trying something different for their F54?

GDGR 12-14-2016 01:49 PM

I just got a screw this week in my left-rear tire. The low-pressure warning system alerted me to it when I got into the car in my garage. It was down to 23 PSI. I inflated it right away.

But despite having only 6K miles on the tires, and despite that this tire was never driven on flat -- the tire stores refuse to patch it. They are telling me its too close to the sidewall but I don't really believe that's it. I got two separate tire shops telling me it's "one and done."

So, since I hate these tires anyway, new Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to having good tires on this thing. I will plug this tire and sell the set to someone doing a lease return or something (and yes, I will obviously disclose the history and discount appropriately!)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...1e0ad7421c.jpg

2017All4 12-14-2016 03:19 PM

GDGR: Looking at the location of that screw, it is maddening because, were that a non-run flat, a simple plug would probably fix it. grrrrrr.

I'm trying the Vogues for all season ride quality, with the promise of "ultra high performance," even though I don't expect to get the performance you will enjoy from your new Michelins.

Enjoy your new tires and please report back on any ride quality observations you may have. I bet ride and noise will improve for you.

Minnie.the.Moocher 12-14-2016 06:04 PM

Some unlucky used MINI buyer will wind up with that patched RF tire if it goes on a lease return.

GDGR 12-14-2016 06:31 PM

Run-flat tires can be patched just like a standard tire. The two conditions are (A) puncture is in the tread, not sidewall - just like a non-RF, and (B) the tire has not been driven on while uninflated.

This tire meets both criteria. The problem is that tire stores feel they can't just take my word for it on point B, and there's no way to visually tell for sure.

2017All4 12-14-2016 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4265600)
Run-flat tires can be patched just like a standard tire. The two conditions are (A) puncture is in the tread, not sidewall - just like a non-RF, and (B) the tire has not been driven on while uninflated.

This tire meets both criteria. The problem is that tire stores feel they can't just take my word for it on point B, and there's no way to visually tell for sure.

Just wondering if the 1 year Pirelli road hazard warranty for run flats will cover your bad tire. Dealers don't talk about it much because they want to sell the pricey tire 'n wheel coverage. Check with Pirelli.

GDGR 12-14-2016 09:23 PM

It did not even occur to me that these tires come with such a warranty. I will check on it tomorrow! If I can replace it, it will certainly make the set a lot easier to sell.

gearhead60 12-15-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4265650)
It did not even occur to me that these tires come with such a warranty. I will check on it tomorrow! If I can replace it, it will certainly make the set a lot easier to sell.

Pirelli states on their warranty that replacement is at NC for up to a year for road hazard and defects. Look on the warranty CD that came with the car....it's in there. One thing I did the day after I got the car is to register my tires with Pirelli on their website. Very easy to do and should be done by everyone, no matter the manufacturer.

2017All4 12-15-2016 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead60 (Post 4265689)
Pirelli states on their warranty that replacement is at NC for up to a year for road hazard and defects. Look on the warranty CD that came with the car....it's in there. One thing I did the day after I got the car is to register my tires with Pirelli on their website. Very easy to do and should be done by everyone, no matter the manufacturer.

:thumbsup: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER :thumbsup:

2017All4 12-15-2016 01:07 PM

The Vogues make a difference. A little quieter, and definitely more refined. The tracking on grooved freeway pavement is a bit different but it's hard to define. Maybe not quite as "sharp" as the hard-walled Pirelli RF's, but the smoothness makes up. Haven't thrown the new rubber around any hard corners yet as I want to run them in a bit.

Interestingly, a close examination of the Pirellis when they came off the car shows a bit of even wear after less than 1,000 miles.

The other thing that a side-by-side comparison revealed was when the tire man compressed the Pirelli and then the Vogue. The Vogue had noticeably more and easier flex to the sidewall.

The tred on the Vogue is more aggressive and has an asymmetrical pattern that has good outer-edge blocking.

Time will tell and I've got 30 days to love them or return them. We shall see...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...ec66f76547.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...8945b3c506.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...5230b8da7a.jpg

tmehanna 12-17-2016 11:25 AM

You will always lose some of the steering sharpness and go kart handling when you switch from runflats to regular radials due to the softer sidewalls. However, there is always a tradeoff between grip and wear. The softer the compound the better it grips but the faster it wears. Any claims to the contrary is a marketing gimmick.

2017All4 12-19-2016 12:41 PM

This is definitely a different car without the run flats. In some ways handling has improved. Not quite as "sharp" as run flats, but lots of grip and a more progressive bite in and out of turns. I don't drift or take the car to the limits. Since a goal of the Clubman F54 design project was refinement, these new Vogue tires contribute to that for sure.

GDGR 12-19-2016 12:51 PM

I've only driven on the Pilot Super Sports for two days now, and only around-town errands. The ride is definitely a lot better. Need to go for a spirited mountain drive to give better feedback on the handling.

2017All4 12-21-2016 01:55 PM

Had the Vogues out on a wet rainy slick street day today. Sooo much better than the Pirelli run flats. Quieter, smoother, and grippy as one could want. Even the sound of the water displacement from the tires (or as Vogue says, "tyres") is more refined. Seriously.

Quentin 12-21-2016 07:46 PM

If anyone is looking to get rid of a low mileage 225/40-18 Bridgestone S001 RFT, I'll take it off your hands. We had the sidewall bulge on one of our's and needing winter tires, I went ahead and had some winter worthy tires mounted on the 18s. I'd like to complete the summer set for the nicer months.

GDGR 12-21-2016 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quentin
If anyone is looking to get rid of a low mileage 225/40-18 Bridgestone S001 RFT, I'll take it off your hands. We had the sidewall bulge on one of our's and needing winter tires, I went ahead and had some winter worthy tires mounted on the 18s. I'd like to complete the summer set for the nicer months.

Can't help you with that, but happy to give you an excellent price on 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFTs -- 3 with 6K miles and one brand new, never mounted. Same size, 225/40-18. Let me know.

2017All4 12-22-2016 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4267181)
one brand new, never mounted. Same size, 225/40-18. Let me know.

Did Pirelli and/or your MINI dealer come through with the no cost replacement?

GDGR 12-22-2016 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2017All4 (Post 4267246)
Did Pirelli and/or your MINI dealer come through with the no cost replacement?

It's not DONE yet, but my local Pirelli dealer (a tire shop -- the Mini dealer is not an authorized Pirelli dealer who can do warranties) has ordered a new tire and put through the warranty request. I'm supposed to have the new tire in my hands next week (they are out of stock on the west coast, so it's coming from, I think, Atlanta).

Tata Steva 12-22-2016 03:32 PM

Can you confirm all specs for OEM 17" wheel you're selling?
I think I have seen a diagram in one of the posts, now can't find it...
(Et., etc...)

GDGR 12-22-2016 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tata Steva (Post 4267329)
Can you confirm all specs for OEM 17" wheel you're selling?
I think I have seen a diagram in one of the posts, now can't find it...
(Et., etc...)

Are you looking for riSurf's post? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...54-wheels.html

2017All4 12-23-2016 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4267299)
It's not DONE yet, but my local Pirelli dealer (a tire shop -- the Mini dealer is not an authorized Pirelli dealer who can do warranties) has ordered a new tire and put through the warranty request. I'm supposed to have the new tire in my hands next week (they are out of stock on the west coast, so it's coming from, I think, Atlanta).

Glad to hear Pirelli is honoring the warranty. Surprising your MINI dealer didn't take the opportunity to help out a customer. The MINI dealer should have taken your damaged tire and handed you a new one on the spot, no questions asked. And MINI dealers should have stock on these tires because everybody knows it's almost always replace not repair.

One of the reasons I replaced the run flats is the stories I've heard regarding the hassle in locating a new matching run flat when one goes bad out on the road.

It's looking like your situation is going to result in a happy ending, and that's the important thing.

Enjoy your new Michelins.

GDGR 01-10-2017 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4267299)

Update -- it took a lot of pressure, but they finally gave me the new tire today. I put the set up on Craigslist already (4 tires, 3 w/6K miles, 1 BRAND NEW), $400 OBO. Anyone wants to talk, let me know :-)

2017All4 01-11-2017 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4271847)
Update -- it took a lot of pressure, but they finally gave me the new tire today. I put the set up on Craigslist already (4 tires, 3 w/6K miles, 1 BRAND NEW), $400 OBO. Anyone wants to talk, let me know :-)

Glad you finally received the no-cost replacement. I'm sure MINI USA would be interested to learn of your less-than-pleasant experience. MINI insists on putting these run flats on their cars -- they should bend over backwards to honor legit warranty claims such as yours. Your MINI dealer should have been the one to provide satisfaction on your claim. If they aren't a Pirelli dealer they should have acted as middleman for you without any inconvenience to you. This is the point I would encourage you to make with MINI USA. Your car is under warranty. You had a warranty issue with a product provided by MINI. MINI should have owned the problem and fixed it for you. Period.

GDGR 01-11-2017 12:20 PM

Yes, in hindsight I definitely should have just gone to the dealer and let them handle it. What happened was that I called Pirelli, and they directed me to their nearest authorized dealer (an America's Tire store), and that's how it went down.

2017All4 01-11-2017 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by GDGR (Post 4272000)
Yes, in hindsight I definitely should have just gone to the dealer and let them handle it. What happened was that I called Pirelli, and they directed me to their nearest authorized dealer (an America's Tire store), and that's how it went down.

Sounds like you 'got er done' the way Pirelli told you to do it. I misunderstood and thought the dealer had declined to help. You did a good thing to go to the extra effort to provide the next owner of those Pirellis with 4 solid tires. Very honorable.

My 4 Pirelli take-offs are bagged and stored in my garage where they will stay until lease end, at which point they will go back onto our Clubman or be turned over to the dealer as part of the deal on our next MINI three years from now.

Hoping your Michelins are giving you joy.