F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Power Folding Mirror Activation

Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Just a follow up on the speedo correction. The various BMW blogs seem to be saying that the digital readout can be adjusted, but not the analog or, apparently, the cruise control.

I think direct contact with Carly is the next step to get this clarified, if it can be clarified.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Remembering that Lyndon Johnson famously said, "Cast your bread upon the waters... and the sharks will get it every time," I sent this to Carly today, awaiting response:

Comment (please include model and build year): MINI F54 2017

Please clarify what can be done on USA cars to make analog and/or digital speedometer read correct (actual real world) speed. Also, what about cruise control digital speed readout? Is it actual speed?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by siriuszero
If you're using ESYS (or NCSExpert for older MINIs): In KOMBI, change BC_V_KORREKTUR
to "nicht_aktiv"
So, does this correct the analog needle as well as the digital and/or the cruise control?

Old 03-18-2017, 05:09 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
So, does this correct the analog needle as well as the digital and/or the cruise control?
It does not - the analog speedo and the cruise control will still show the overestimated speed. There doesn't appear to be a way to alter this via coding or, at least, no one has figured it out yet.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
It does not - the analog speedo and the cruise control will still show the overestimated speed. There doesn't appear to be a way to alter this via coding or, at least, no one has figured it out yet.
That's why I use GPS to monitor my speed when on the Interstate....

Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 PM
drhow
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odometer?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 PM
drhow
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read3%over?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drhow
Odometer?
The odometer is spot on and doesn't overestimate - apparently distance gets measured correctly - it's speed that has some variance.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
So, here's the response I received today from Carly:

The two most important pages in our support area offer you

1) a detailed overview of your model and the features that are supported for it:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...with-my-model/

2) the Coding List in different languages (English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian), which explains every theoretically possible coding for your BMW (provided the necessary parts are built into the car)

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...t-is-possible/

What are the current projects of Carly Connected Car? --- Please check here: http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...connected-car/

PS.: We support all BMW models starting ca. 1996

-

Christian

Techn. Support

Carly – Connected Car

And this is what I sent back in response:

This is what it says in what is possible for my car:

Correction’ analog speedometer
• ‘corrected’ speed
• true speed
This coding does not work on US models. Per default the speed shown in the digital speedometer is ‘corrected’ by the car. This has the effect that the shown speed is a bit higher than the true speed of the car. (codable in KOMBI)

I am not clear. It says this coding does not work in US models but it says it is codable in KOMBI.

So what does this mean?

Thank you.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I've had a R60 and now a F55 and both had overestimated speedos - both were coded to turn this feature off and I noted the speedo went down by about 3 mph. Using GPS and known radar signs, the speedo was more accurate after coding.

iCarly's wording is odd, but every US BMW or MINI I've plugged into ESYS or NCSEXPERT has the overestimated speedo turned on by default.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I've had a R60 and now a F55 and both had overestimated speedos - both were coded to turn this feature off and I noted the speedo went down by about 3 mph. Using GPS and known radar signs, the speedo was more accurate after coding.

iCarly's wording is odd, but every US BMW or MINI I've plugged into ESYS or NCSEXPERT has the overestimated speedo turned on by default.
It is odd. My guess is your experience is the reality -- digital readouts can be adjusted from 'corrected' to real world speed but the analog speedo can't.

Interesting that Carly makes reference to analog adjustment on/off. But, then there is German/English translation and whatever else.

Let's see what comes back from Carly, besides rote responses like their first one which simply referred me back to the various links to their established lists.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Very interesting indeed on the speedo setting. I have a few radar speed signs that I drive by on a regular basis and have tried setting my cruise control for. Usual setting is 30 mph on digital readout and radar signs are all the same at 28 mph, so about 2 mph high on my car. The analog gauge shows dead on 30 mph as well. Now my wife's Patriot is the other way around, set on 30 mph gives 32 mph readings on the signs.

Now, does that mean that our odometers are racking up additional 'false' miles (i.e.- ~7% more than actual). Would certainly be a sneaky way of getting out of warranty a bit faster for MINI, eh? I am not a 'conspiracy theory' kind of thinker, but you do have to wonder what the reason is. Should we be running taller tires to compensate? Ah, the questions go on and on...

Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
Very interesting indeed on the speedo setting. I have a few radar speed signs that I drive by on a regular basis and have tried setting my cruise control for. Usual setting is 30 mph on digital readout and radar signs are all the same at 28 mph, so about 2 mph high on my car. The analog gauge shows dead on 30 mph as well. Now my wife's Patriot is the other way around, set on 30 mph gives 32 mph readings on the signs.

Now, does that mean that our odometers are racking up additional 'false' miles (i.e.- ~7% more than actual). Would certainly be a sneaky way of getting out of warranty a bit faster for MINI, eh? I am not a 'conspiracy theory' kind of thinker, but you do have to wonder what the reason is. Should we be running taller tires to compensate? Ah, the questions go on and on...
We did land on the moon....I believe, I believe, I believe....

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM
tangy07
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatV8

Not sure if I understand correctly. But how can a higher speed give you additional miles? If you drive from point a to B. One person going at 30 and one person going at 32. The person going faster will get there a bit earlier but distance is still the same. Unless they tempered with that too.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Hey did I mention that my power folding side mirrors fold and unfold with the touch of the door button as well as a touch of the fob? Same as a Rolls Royce. How much better does it get than that?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tangy07
Not sure if I understand correctly. But how can a higher speed give you additional miles? If you drive from point a to B. One person going at 30 and one person going at 32. The person going faster will get there a bit earlier but distance is still the same. Unless they tempered with that too.
Imagine you travel side-by-side over a 30 mile route with an identical Clubby. Your speed/distance traveled are the same, but your speedo registers 32mph, while your 'shadow' registers 30mph. After 1 hour/30 physical miles, your odometer will register 32 miles, while your shadow's odo is at 30 miles. Hence your Clubby just racked up 2 additional miles or 6.7% more than actual.

Now, that is within the +/-10% allowable speedo error in the US, but it ends up favoring the Mfg and not the consumer. You could always go to a taller tire to compensate the speedo down or go in and hack the code to adjust it as well.

Doing a bit of interweb research pulled up this article from C&D back in 2002 and it pretty much nails the reason why our speedos always seem to read high:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ometer-scandal

Excerpt from article:

"The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low."

Interesting to say the least.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Hey did I mention that my power folding side mirrors fold and unfold with the touch of the door button as well as a touch of the fob? Same as a Rolls Royce. How much better does it get than that?
I spent some time today using Carly to code. I can also say my car is the same as a Rolls just like 2017All4! I coded the mirrors, and the speedo correction. The digital readout seems to now be within 1 mph to the stated speed on my GPS. Analog still the same, but when I really care about the speed, I use the digital readout anyway. carly is easy but tedious. People complain about the expense, but when compared to paying someone or convincing the dealer to do it for you, it was worth it.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
I spent some time today using Carly to code. <snip>I coded the mirrors, and the speedo correction. The digital readout seems to now be within 1 mph to the stated speed on my GPS. Analog still the same, but when I really care about the speed, I use the digital readout anyway. carly is easy but tedious. People complain about the expense, but when compared to paying someone or convincing the dealer to do it for you, it was worth it.
Cool. So you have confirmed that digital readout speedo correction, to some extent, is possible on Carly. Thank you for that.

Does it also correct the digital readout for cruise control speed? Or will it make us OCD people nuts because the various speed readouts won't match????

But, hey, gotta love the folding mirrors tucking away when you hit the door button. I'm still obsessing about leaving the 1.5 second delay setting for the mirror fold, as opposed to have it immediate with locking, or maybe just a 1 second delay......

Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Cool. So you have confirmed that digital readout speedo correction, to some extent, is possible on Carly. Thank you for that.

Does it also correct the digital readout for cruise control speed? Or will it make us OCD people nuts because the various speed readouts won't match????

But, hey, gotta love the folding mirrors tucking away when you hit the door button. I'm still obsessing about leaving the 1.5 second delay setting for the mirror fold, as opposed to have it immediate with locking, or maybe just a 1 second delay......
I did not confirm the cruise control speed, but will at a later date.

I set my mirrors to fold immediately without delay and I agree it's nice. I also turned on all of the easy comfort stuff like opening and closing the windows by holding down the button.

I wish there was a way to turn off the active sound. I know there has been some discussion about it, but haven't seen anything that shows how to turn it off. I'm know that there are many that like the added sound coming through the sound system, but I don't need it.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I wish there was a way to turn off the active sound. I know there has been some discussion about it, but haven't seen anything that shows how to turn it off. I'm know that there are many that like the added sound coming through the sound system, but I don't need it.
Huh. Well, as you say, we are all different. I love the sport mode sound, both the burbles and the fake "deepness". I wish I could have that sound even in "mid" mode, because I don't like the sport mode throttle mapping. It makes it harder to be smooth in first gear.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts

Code it out, wire it out yourself or buy something like this https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
I checked out the correlation of the digital speedo with the analog and the cruise control today while running errands. Unless I'm delusional, which the one who must be obeyed thinks I am sometimes, the speed is only off by 1 mph for all of them. Perhaps on later production date Mini's (mine was Nov 10, 2016), the coding corrects them all.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I did not confirm the cruise control speed, but will at a later date.

I set my mirrors to fold immediately without delay and I agree it's nice. I also turned on all of the easy comfort stuff like opening and closing the windows by holding down the button.

Does not correct the analog speedo or cruise control, unfortunately.

There is a way to turn off active sound via coding in ESYS, but I'm not sure if the Carly app has it.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Does not correct the analog speedo or cruise control, unfortunately.
I used Carly to code out the speedo error, today I checked out the correlation of the digital speedo with the analog and the cruise control while running errands. Unless I'm delusional, which the one who must be obeyed thinks I am sometimes, the speed is only off by 1 mph for all of them. Perhaps on later production date Mini's (mine was Nov 10, 2016), the coding corrects them all.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:51 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Okay, we all need to agree here that our significant others DO NOT get to read this thread. If they discovered what we're worried about, the grief would never end!!

Which reminds me of a true story this group might relate to:

Back in 1984 my wife got a new Buick sportwagon for her business. It had the adjustable wiper delay feature. The owner's manual said that at the maximum delay setting it would be 16 seconds between swipes of the wipers.

You knew this was coming... yes, I timed the frigging wipers. The maximum delay was about 10 seconds, not the 16 stated in the owner's manual.

I was telling the story of my wiper timing findings to a friend who was a serious car guy. He had Ferraris and a Mercedes gull wing and Packard, and a Rolls. He kept his cars, and his huge showroom garage, in mint condition and was a stickler for detail. I figured he'd be sympathetic.

A couple of weeks after my conversation with my car buddy it was raining. My office private phone line rings and it's my buddy on the line. Without introducing himself he says, "Hey, it's raining. Better go out and time those wipers." And he hangs up.

So no way am I telling my wife that today, instead of finishing our income taxes, I'm blogging on North American Motoring about coding speedometer adjustments and the travails therein

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F54 Power Folding Mirror Activation