European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Need advice:Ship Exhaust From UK to US

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice:Ship Exhaust From UK to US

Please I need help to get an exhaust from UK to the US. Any shippers or someone sending stuff, via military, crate, etc. Please let me know of any possibilities. We have tried these so far and they said the following (basically they cannot ship):

Unfortunately, none of our services can be used on this occasion. The reasons are detailed below.
You supplied the following parcel information:
Weight: 20kg
Length: 130 cm
Width: 110 cm
Height: 30 cm
Volume: 15.15 cubic feet
International Chargeable weight: 71.5kg
The following services are unavailable given the information you have provided:
USA / Canada Delivery Up to 10kg
20kg is too heavy for this service
1.3m is too long for this service
71.5kg was calculated as the volumetric weight and is too heavy for this service
USA / Canada Delivery Up to 25kg
71.5kg was calculated as the volumetric weight and is too heavy for this service
USA / Canada Delivery Up to 70kg
1kg to 70kg World Express Service
1kg to 70kg World Economy Service
If you need any more help or information, or you have any views on the information above, I would love to hear from you.
Kindest regards
Melanie James
Customer Services Advisor Parcel2go
I have just called DHL customer services and they have quoted £499.70 they calculate the charge by the volumetric weight not actual weight and that is the same answer I got from others.
This would put the price at over $1300

Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Well it can be shipped but you are going to have to find a "real" shipper ... not a package carrier. Both my entire car, and later a short block were shipped .... via a broker in UK to a port of entry in US. Then if you can't pickup there you need to arrange further shipping to home. That's my experience anyway. <my sellers knew how to do this - they were in the business and all I had to do was stroke the check.>

I ordered one 'odd sized' part from MiniSport-UK ... the dash pad was marked down so I figured it would be a good deal. MS called me when they got the internet order and warned that the shipping - because of odd size, it weighed little - would be several times the cost of the part. I needed the part and couldn't find in US so I did order and they were right...and I got a bill for 'duty' from our Uncle as well ....

This is one of the reasons I don't balk at the markup of US suppliers anymore. They work with UK folks and eat the sometimes crazy shipping costs by bringing in a container of parts at a time. Some time later the OMG shipping cost of the new bonnet I bought thru MM was spead out over many many individual parts.....the extra cost I paid was waiting for them to "fill a container" and get the part. I only directly ate domestic shipping.

For comparison - I bought a fuel pump from a UK supplier however. Here the box was a normal lil' ol' box and the shipping was reasonable and I actually got the bugger in the same few days I typically get from US folks so I don't ALWAYS dismiss UK suppliers cuz of shipping charges....

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish my sellers were in the business.
So, I just found a roundtrip on chepflights.com and its $500 cheaper to go pick it up and bring back exhaust as luggage and still have one room for one more suitcase and carry-on.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hope there is no surcharge for wierd sized luggage!