European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Euro Fuel Efficiency

Old 05-26-2008, 08:25 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Youll find that they are slower in acc and top end.
noisy, dirty to work on, fuel is about 25 cents per gal more, have lower resale value, are more expensive to buy, maintain, and repair."

I didn't experience these negatives with my beloved 2005 BMW 118D in Germany. While not a MINI diesel, it was FAST; accelerated like a rocket; was quiet; clean to work on; had good resale value; and was not more expensive to buy, maintain or repair. Contrast this with my 1982 VW Rabbit with diesel engine. Now that little auto was slow!!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Would one of you explain the "stop start" part of the European model and why it is that we, over here, are not allowed to have it - yet?

Many thanks!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi again Otra!

I have no idea why you don't get s/s in the US, but I assume it wasn't in the spec tested for approval for sale on your side of the pond. But all UK-spec Clubmen have it so, assuming it's not been deactivated and only speaking of manuals (stick shifts, I think!):

1: Slow to a stop in any forward gear, select neutral and release the clutch. The engine stops. (Typically at a busy road junction or traffic lights, and when you judge it appropriate to shift to neutral and apply the handbrake.)

2: Dip the clutch again when the lights change and select a gear. The engine restarts virtually instantly without any other action by the driver, who can then drive off as if nothing had happened.

The claimed benefits are over 1mpg, reduced emissions and - in emission-related taxation regimes like the UK - a lower annual tax rate.

The downside is that it requires an uprated starter motor from Bosch, a heavier-duty battery, an extra switch in the clutch system and a different (or at least modified) ECU to co-ordinate everything, including an override that cancels S/S and restarts the car automatically whenever the battery load exceeds a limit due to the air con, radio or lights.

It sounds odd as I've described it but it's so unobtrusive that I never switch it off. And I'm happy to save money any way I can!

(It's mildly amusing to see the reaction of people nearby though as most seem to think the car has died for some reason - until it restarts.)

Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I think it would be great to have! Eventually we'll get it...perhaps things will become more forward thinking and proactive here - soon. We must hope so anyway.

Many thanks for the explanation, David. You're always so helpful. Dr. J. over on MINI2 was asking - perhaps you can do us a favor and copy your post over there?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
OK Otra, I'll have a look!

I forgot to mention that S/S is only activated when the engine has reached operating temperature, which caught some UK drivers in the early days when they couldn't make it work as soon as they'd left their drives and promptly diverted to their dealers to complain!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for that addendum and for posting over on MINI2.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Anyone have updated info on the regenerative braking system? Specifically, has anyone looked into the feaibility of modifying their U.S. mini with the EU regen system? My guess is it may be technically possible but costly, thus making the payback very long & not worth the effort. I am also not sure if it has been released in Europe yet. Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Originally Posted by corningjeff
Anyone have updated info on the regenerative braking system? Specifically, has anyone looked into the feaibility of modifying their U.S. mini with the EU regen system? My guess is it may be technically possible but costly, thus making the payback very long & not worth the effort. I am also not sure if it has been released in Europe yet. Thoughts?
Regen?

are you refering to start/stop

Regen refers to braking power going back to an electric motor or a flywheel neither of which the MINI currently uses.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
I was not specifically referring to the start/stop feature, although I am aware of it. That is another option, although I doubt it can be done economically as a retro-fit. I was referring to the option of converting brake energy to re-charge the car's main battery. It does not go as far as the Prius, but it supposedly helps minimize alternator drag on the engine. Here is the article that "Xiek" linked to at the start of this thread: http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.c...mentid=5044282

The article mentioned August '08 release in Europe, however it was written some time in 2007.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Before I put in my order for my MCS I bugged the crap out of the MINI dealer to see if he could swing a German Specification Diesel for me but MINI will not make a US Specification Cooper until they can be sold in ALL 50 states.

They are getting 60-75MPG with conservative drivers.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by QandElf
???

Actually, Diesel was generally the same price or slightly cheaper in Europe when I lived there (left in '04). And the new Cooper D (Turbo Diesel) replaced the One D in '07.

Truthfully, the Clubman D is the best. What you lose in acceleration and top end you gain in low-end and hill climbing torque, coupled with the 50+ mpg highway. And as a European Soccer-momobile, it is kicking the competition.
Nicely put. I still see a few diesel Mercedes vehicles in my city and they're over 15 years old. Clearly, the owners aren't intending to give them up any time soon. I spoke to a few about whether the sky high gas prices (this was when regular unleaded was going for $3.50 a gallon!) would tempt them to sell their diesel cars and not one said they would. They said the gas mileage was so good that it compensated for the higher per-gallon cost of the fuel. Consider this: a Range Rover with a standard 3.9 liter V-8 gets about 12-15 mpg in the city. A diesel V-8 increased it to nearly 20!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I think it would be great to have! Eventually we'll get it...perhaps things will become more forward thinking and proactive here - soon. We must hope so anyway.

Many thanks for the explanation, David. You're always so helpful. Dr. J. over on MINI2 was asking - perhaps you can do us a favor and copy your post over there?
But of course, practicality is considered unimportant by some in this country. If the Big Three used their heads for once, they'd be making cars that get 35 mpg, are fun to drive, reliable and don't cost a fortune. I already have one such car, it's called a Cooper Clubman!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
BMW brought the 335d to north America so why not bring the mini D?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Sanek
2nd Gear
I'd love a MINI Cooper D. I was interested in getting a VW Golf TDI, but I can never find them in good condition with the specs I want (a 1999-2003 one with black cloth seats, manual, 2 door). Plus they don't have a warranty anymore and repairs are expensive. That's why I'm ordering a new MINI soon (I hope) Great small car with awesome gas mileage.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget, when looking at all the unusually high MPG ratings listed, they use the imperial gallon and we use a US liquid gallon. 4.6L = 1 Imperial Gallon ad 3.7L = 1 US liquid gallon.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:00 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Are You Sure?

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Don't forget, when looking at all the unusually high MPG ratings listed, they use the imperial gallon and we use a US liquid gallon. 4.6L = 1 Imperial Gallon ad 3.7L = 1 US liquid gallon.
Are they still using IGal? I remember a few years back when they began switching to Metric. It's why we no longer call it the 'English' system, but it's now called 'Standard'. Threw me for a loop when I passed a speed limit sign on a secondary road that read "70". Bloke in the next town told me they were switching over to Metric to align to the rest of the EU. My Peugot 406 had it's fuel efficiency in l/km instead of MPG.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 AM
thomasmarteen
Neutral
Actually, Diesel was generally the same price or slightly cheaper in Europe when I lived there (left in '04). And the new Cooper D (Turbo Diesel) replaced the One D in '07.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I miss Garmisch-Partenkirchen... and Germany in general.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Verzasca
1st Gear
Originally Posted by QandElf
although you never see more than two people in huge SUVs
Umm, guilty..... I own a VW Touareg. Big SUV, usually carting only moi, and occasionally a passenger around. Plus my goofy dog when he wants to take a ride.

Am I a hypocrite for doing this, while shopping at an organic grocery and talking about saving the rain forests?

I do intend on getting a less polluting 4 cyl. when I obtain a MINI.

The 70mpg MINI? I've heard of it. First thought? That will make an introduction to the USA in about 20 long years.

Last edited by Verzasca; 01-08-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added something