Pulley / Parts Party and a Dine -n- Dash, 26 JAN, Heidelberg

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulley / Parts Party and a Dine -n- Dash, 26 JAN, Heidelberg

Who: All y'all

What: Garage Day on post, to install a few pulley and some misc. parts, and then a hearty meal and a good drive to check our work

When: 26 JAN, pretty much all day

Where: Tompkins Barracks (Schwetzingen); Hermann's Biergarden; the Pfälzerwald

Why: Because Poppa Bear needs a pulley and a USS installed if he's going to run the ring and not look the fool (and, well, we all have some parts hanging around, collecting dust)

How: Bring your own parts; bring your ID; bring Euros; use your seat belt ; bring your loved ones.

General concept is to hit the garage when it opens. I can go and reserve a couple of bays ahead of time, so they will be waiting for us.

Once parts are installed, we'll wander over for lunch (1300 or 1400, I figure, since I know of only two potential pulleys to install). Hermann's isn't that far away. Group photo would be at lunch.

From there, we can either head off to the Pfälzerwald, and do something like Poppa Bear Point Run, or head to the Odenwald (1, 2, 3) and go our separate ways once we get to Miltenberg (not too far from A3).

I need to know:

-- if you plan on attending.

-- if you plan on turning wrenches on your car (and what work needs to get done) and / or if you're going to want / need help.

-- if anyone needs lift for their car; I'll need to reserve the correct bays.

-- if anyone wants to bring kids (they aren't welcome in the garage [their rules] but they are welcome for all else).

-- head count the pieces / parts of this (mainly for restaurant reservations, but also to determine how many bays to get)

-- if you're going to need any unusual parts for modding your car, like a 220 plug adapter for when you break a vacuum advance line and can't fix it (just as Smiley -- his "mod" is still in use)

-- if you're going to be there for some or all of the events. No reason why on couldn't skip the garage and just enjoy the meal and the drive (we do have cell phones, after all).

If you're coming a great distance for this, consider coming out the night prior. I've got some space here at the house, and there are at least a couple of other NAM'sters in the area.

Mods, food and fun -- what more can you ask for?

Last edited by abuzavi; 12-18-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tentatively in! I'll find out if I got a pulley for Christmas...if not then I'll order one up!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Scooby03
Former Vendor
Sounds like a good time, to bad I'm not closer.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Never been there; looks like it's less than an hour from me here at Ramstein if I put the right city in MapQuest... Is it just S of Mannheim (near the Hockenheimring)? -->

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Scooby03
Sounds like a good time, to bad I'm not closer.
Come on over! Though if you wait until this summer I'll (hopefully) have more time off and the 'Ring should be open more frequently!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Right location. Just outside of Heidelberg.

And if you need a pulley, call Scoody03! The was damn near a sponsor for the last pulley party -- he ships USPS, has great customer service, and his stuff gets his lickety split (I got a pulley one time, and my USS from him the other time).

And Scooby -- come on over! Or send some free schwag!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As Abu said, come on over! I am in... As Scooby knows, I have a few bits to fit.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Abu,

I'm in as long as there is not too much S-Factor. More than a couple of inches and this good ole boy from Texas is d-u-n like a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving!! If the S does come, I'll come down for the wrench-turning and chow.

Otherwise, I'm in for the whole show: wrenches, chow and run. I'll be bringing (hopefully by then, USPS willing!) Maggie's new pulley, myself, my camera, floor jack and stands, and my measly collection of household tools. Dunno if a lift is necessary for my install, though. If we start after ~8:30, I'll drive down that morning. Otherwise, I'm crashing on someone's floor, please!

Just tell where and when to link-up for the drive in.

Cheers!!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
PB -- forget the tools and jacks and stuff. Bring your ID -- we'll be on post, sponging up the MWR goodness. They have EVERYTHING, minus the pulley removal tool which daflake or Henry will have.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Yeap!!
I got the tools and you will be saving on paying a mechanic for this installation. We only charge for the German beer!! Henry

Old 12-21-2007, 10:27 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I'll bring my set as well. (puller and tension bar). I also like to be paid in beer. :p

Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
$10 says that daflake hasn't finished the rack of bier I ave him for helping install my pulley....

Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by abuzavi
$10 says that daflake hasn't finished the rack of bier I ave him for helping install my pulley....
Actually, you would lose that bet. Had a party with the neighbors. Bier is gone.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
As if I needed any further proof that great things come in small packages, I got my pulley today!!

Now I am ready for the Pulley Party on the 26th!

But first, I've got a question for you experts. I was planning on replacing the belt, did a search here for the different belts (NAPA, Gatorback, etc.) and came across this thread about belts. In it, verveAbsolut talks about using the belt for the 19% for use with a 15% pulley because of the stretch. What do ya'll think about this? Unless there are some really compelling reasons to do this, I'll be ordering the 15%-sized belt next week but wanted to here from ya'll first.

Finally, what are the bier orders and do I bring them with me or buy them there? And what time is the link-up anyways?

Cheers!!

Last edited by Poppa Bear; 12-31-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I wouldn't.... I would be so tight that you would shred it quickly. I would stick with the normal belt. I have been running the gator for about a year with no problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
I wouldn't.... I would be so tight that you would shred it quickly. I would stick with the normal belt. I have been running the gator for about a year with no problems.
And if that's what the "team mechanic" says, that's good enough for me!! Do you have the part number for the correct gator and a 15%? Thanks, Will!

Cheers!!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM
daflake
6th Gear
I ugh um... No.

But I can find out.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Well no pulley for Christmas but lots of other goodness including the factory R52/R53 service manual! Yes, I'll bring it along...

I'm ordering from CMS tomorrow...any preference here on the Alta V2 or the M7 pulleys?

Thinking about a lightened crank pulley too since we'll be in there anyway.

Regardless, I'm bringing some basic tools/lights too...I've rebuilt/swapped 3 engines for the chick car (my Miata) and a fw other cars at the base hobby shop over the years and it's my experience that they're always slow to dole out the tool I need while trying to hold a bolt in (usually for a tranny balanced on my shoulder)!

See y'all there!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM
daflake
6th Gear
I prefer the Alta to be honest. I have installed a lot of pulleys and the Alta is easier to install and seems to have a little better design. That being said, I run a MM pulley.

Crank pulley is more work and I will be honest and say that I have never done one so you will be the first if you would like my help. Not sure what type of puller we will need for it but you might want to get it on hand before trying.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:18 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
I ugh um... No.

But I can find out.
daflake, would the Gatorback 4060537, like this one here, be the correct size with a 15% pulley? Thanks.

Cheers!!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 AM
daflake
6th Gear
If you read what I posted earlier, disregard. The belt that I have on the car is a NAPA (Gates) 060535 and is the one that Don recommended when I bought the pulley. I have had no problems with it at all but I do think that it is about time for a change. I'll be ordering a new belt as well.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...t+-+Serpentine

FWIW, the team mechanic was a bit confused on what belt he was using. Hey. it is the holidays. It is a smaller belt but not a lot.

Last edited by daflake; 12-31-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
I prefer the Alta to be honest. I have installed a lot of pulleys and the Alta is easier to install and seems to have a little better design. That being said, I run a MM pulley.

Crank pulley is more work and I will be honest and say that I have never done one so you will be the first if you would like my help. Not sure what type of puller we will need for it but you might want to get it on hand before trying.
The crank pulley is an easy install if you have a three beam puller and some long 6mm x 1mm bolts. It almost takes longer to take the wheel and fender liner off than to pull and install the pulley.

Steve

Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Do you mean M6 x 1.0 thread pitch? If so, how long?

Ordering tomorrow if you're open btw, otherwise on the 2nd...got busy running errands today and the next thing I knew it was New Years!

Originally Posted by SRTech
The crank pulley is an easy install if you have a three beam puller and some long 6mm x 1mm bolts. It almost takes longer to take the wheel and fender liner off than to pull and install the pulley.

Steve

Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Scooby03
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 91Eunos

Ordering tomorrow if you're open btw, otherwise on the 2nd...got busy running errands today and the next thing I knew it was New Years!
Not open tomorrow, but will be on the 2nd.

Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 91Eunos

M6 x 1.0 is correct. They should be around 15 cm long. They should be a fairly high grade in case you have one of those pulleys that is frozen on and takes a lot of pressure to get off. I also have a longer bolt that I use to press the pulley back on with. I use a couple of greasy washers so the head doesn't damage the coating on the pulley. We always sell a new bolt with the pulley, also. Happy New Year; we haven't quite made it here yet, but will be celebrating soon. I will be here at the shop tomorrow working on computers (if I survive) so, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to call or post. USPS is closed so no way to ship anything anyway.

Steve

Quick Reply: Pulley / Parts Party and a Dine -n- Dash, 26 JAN, Heidelberg