Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Driver door doesn't unlock but will lock with the remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Driver door doesn't unlock but will lock with the remote

I just got my car back after 3 months. The key remote locks all the doors but it won't unlock the driver door. Eeverything else works fine and my car only have 19k on it. Any ideas
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM
MCSFan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My R53 did the same thing recently. I could lock the doors with the remote, but was unable to unlock with the remote. I took the remote apart and noticed that the micro switch for unlock function had come un-soldered at one end. Used an electronic soldering iron and the remote worked fine.
You might check this, otherwise try reprogramming the remote.

The following users liked this post:
mcpeso (04-11-2019)
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by MCSFan
My R53 did the same thing recently. I could lock the doors with the remote, but was unable to unlock with the remote. I took the remote apart and noticed that the micro switch for unlock function had come un-soldered at one end. Used an electronic soldering iron and the remote worked fine.
You might check this, otherwise try reprogramming the remote.
how do you reprogram it? My car had the battery removed for 3 months

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I just got my car back after 3 months. The key remote locks all the doors but it won't unlock the driver door. Eeverything else works fine and my car only have 19k on it. Any ideas
Mario
Mine did the same thing for a few days and then went away...I took it into the dealer and they replaced the lock thingamagig.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
Mine did the same thing for a few days and then went away...I took it into the dealer and they replaced the lock thingamagig.
mine came with a doohickey

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
mine came with a doohickey
Does it hurt when you walk

Old 04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
Does it hurt when you walk
Depends where I put it.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
MCSFan
1st Gear
Mariokart,
The instructions are in the owners manual. I am at work and don't have mine with me.
I believe it is by putting the key in the ignition(door closed) and turning it to position 2, then off and remove the key. Then push each button 4 time in a row.
It is something like this. I think you are also supposedly able to reprogram from outside the car by pushing each button in sucession about 4 times each.
I tried this before I took mine apart and it didn't work

Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Depends where I put it.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
MCSFan
1st Gear
MarioKart,

The manual says: you can press button #1,2 4 times in succession or switch on the ignition with the key then off and within 10 seconds press 1 & 2 on the remote.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM
BRGmene
Neutral
Put key into ignition, turn to position 2. Turn off and take out key, hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times ( you will hear the door lock and unlock if it worked) then do the same thing to the second master key (hold down the unlock button and hit the lock button 3 times.) You need to make sure that you are holding the key in close proximity to the ignition. It may help to have both keys in your hand when you do this, because you only have about 10 seconds to do it to both remotes. You should do both remotes or else the other one will not work after doing this. This is what I had to do for my 06.

However, if your car is unlocking this may not be your issue, its kinda an all or nothing thing with the remote ( if everything else is working correctly) If your fob wasn't doing a thing for you, I would say this could be the issue, but if its just not unlocking the driver's side door, you may have other issues... Did you try your other master key?

Last edited by BRGmene; 04-09-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Brain fart...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
willum
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BRGmene
Put key into ignition, turn to position 2. Turn off and take out key, hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times ( you will hear the door lock and unlock if it worked) then do the same thing to the second master key (hold down the unlock button and hit the lock button 3 times.) You need to make sure that you are holding the key in close proximity to the ignition. It may help to have both keys in your hand when you do this, because you only have about 10 seconds to do it to both remotes. You should do both remotes or else the other one will not work after doing this. This is what I had to do for my 06.
^+1 Did it last week and saved me a 100mi + round trip to the dealer.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Mario
I'm not sure, but since it's only one of the doors that's not unlocking, it seems like there may be something mechanically wrong with the locking mechanism. Can you unlock the drivers door by pushing the unlock button in the car? What about pulling the door pull inside? I don't think reprogramming would fix just one of the doors not unlocking, but maybe?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
I have the exact same problem. I will try the key tomorrow. But the only way to unlock it is with the key whole or the handle on the inside. Also, I don't think that it is the key because marios probably doesn't auto lock when he is moving just like mine. But the key unlocks everything else, and locks everything fine. There are some other threads on this and I believe it is the motor that is the problem. Other help would be awsome too. And if anyone has an extra motor on their hands, I'll be more than happy to help clean thier garage out.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
MCSFan
1st Gear
If the remote will lock the door but not unlock it, then I would bet that it is in the remote itself.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that this had happened to me and the problem was in the remote and an easy fix.
Open the remote and make sure that the unlock-micro switch under the unlock button has not come un-soldered at one end.
This is what happened to me and I just re-soldered it and it worked fine again.
To me if the remote will lock the door but not unlock, this suggests that the door locking mechanism is fine and the problem is in the remote.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by xnotfunkylex
I have the exact same problem. I will try the key tomorrow. But the only way to unlock it is with the key whole or the handle on the inside. Also, I don't think that it is the key because marios probably doesn't auto lock when he is moving just like mine. But the key unlocks everything else, and locks everything fine. There are some other threads on this and I believe it is the motor that is the problem. Other help would be awsome too. And if anyone has an extra motor on their hands, I'll be more than happy to help clean thier garage out.
We have twin problems, I dropped my car off at the dealer last night for the lock, bad motor mount, oil leak and gas cap problem. I will let you know what they say.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:19 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCSFan
If the remote will lock the door but not unlock it, then I would bet that it is in the remote itself.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that this had happened to me and the problem was in the remote and an easy fix.
Open the remote and make sure that the unlock-micro switch under the unlock button has not come un-soldered at one end.
This is what happened to me and I just re-soldered it and it worked fine again.
To me if the remote will lock the door but not unlock, this suggests that the door locking mechanism is fine and the problem is in the remote.
In reading his post it doesn't seem like ALL the doors are not unlocking. Just the drivers side door... hence my comment about a mechanical issue...

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
In reading his post it doesn't seem like ALL the doors are not unlocking. Just the drivers side door... hence my comment about a mechanical issue...
True, all doors will lock with the remote key, every door but diver door will open. The toggle switch in the car will not open or lock the driver door but it will work fine all everthing else.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Mario,
Find anything out about the door lock problem yet? I would love to get this problem fixed. thanks for any info.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Mario,
Find anything out about the door lock problem yet? I would love to get this problem fixed. thanks for any info.
I took it to the dealer and they read all the codes and cleared them but they really did nothing. They couldn't find anything wrong with the locks. I guess if you have an OBD II reader you could clear it out and maybe that will solve your problem.
Best of luck
M

Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
So does your lock now work? And I take it they didn't change anything.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
So does your lock now work? And I take it they didn't change anything.
Yes, they work great, but I have no reason why they work now.
M

Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
sorry to bump an old thread, but this same thing started happening yesterday on my 04 with 21k miles... all doors lock by the remote/switch in the car, and they all unlock by the switch/remote, EXCEPT the drivers door. it wont unlock unless i pull the inside handle, or manually unlock it with the key from outside. ive tried both of my master remotes...i dont know what to do...

Old 07-19-2007, 07:03 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
bump, anyone know how i can fix this issue? read my above post please

Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM
mjcopel2
Neutral
Know this is an old thread, but I just had this happen to my 09 today... Did clearing the codes with the OBD reader fix it? I just had it reset a couple days ago before having any problems with the locks. It is the same as above. All doors lock and unlock with the fob and the switch inside the car, but the driver door won't unlock unless I do so manually with the inside handle key

Quick Reply: Electrical Driver door doesn't unlock but will lock with the remote