Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Rear Fog Lamp Issue on an early 05 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Fog Lamp Issue on an early 05 build

I have a 0904 MCSC with a REAR fog lamp issue. The REAR fog lamp is programmed, the lamp end of the toggel switch lights but the rear lamp does not light. It's in for warranty work and the dealer says that it is not getting power or signal into the main electrical module under the passenger side kick pannel so it is no surprise that the rear fog isn't working. He replaced the module and the switch and still no joy. I am the second owner of this car, and I'm not sure that the REAR fog lamp ever worked. However i thinkthat all 05's had the capability of REAR fog or could be retrofitted for it and the retrofit was from the module to the REAR lamp correct? Anybody have any ideas? the dealer is being real good about this but I have tapped into the electrical for lumination for my boost gauge and I do have Ian's Auto up board added too. Apprecaite any thoughts. Michael

Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you...and I'm the original owner of my car. You need the wiring. N. American MINIs did not come with the wire between the relay computer and the foglight unit under your bumper. However, when the original buyer bought the car, he (or she) probably spec'd it with the rear foglight so MINI wisely put it in. But for the early builds, something about the rear foglight not being legal in the US at the time. So they didn't do the pre-wire. HOWEVER after October 04 (I think) the wire was put in. My MINI dealer will charge me 2 hours labor (!!!!) to put wire in. I can't get that past my wife. So I'm stuck.

Let me know if you get the wiring put in. I would like to see if the job is easy or not. My dealer says they can do it, but they've never actually done it before.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all honesty I followed a Jag with the rear fog on one time and I could hardly resist the urge to flip him off. It was annoying as hell , sort of like he had his brakes on for one side of the car. Maybe it is something you would get used to being behind but for most of us over here it looks like something is wrong with the car at best. I think the tail light mod where that bulb is used to double the amount of brake light warning is a far more worthy endeavor.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Fog retrofit instructions are in my gallery: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t_Retrofit.pdf, including rear fog for the 7/04-11/04 builds which did not have prewiring. I think it's fairly straightforward but a lot of panels have to come out to install the harness where it would usually go. I'm not surprised at the dealer charging 2 hours labor.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by trackster
In all honesty I followed a Jag with the rear fog on one time and I could hardly resist the urge to flip him off. It was annoying as hell , sort of like he had his brakes on for one side of the car. Maybe it is something you would get used to being behind but for most of us over here it looks like something is wrong with the car at best. I think the tail light mod where that bulb is used to double the amount of brake light warning is a far more worthy endeavor.
The rear fog in 05/06 MINI is also bright to the point of annoying and should only be used during heavy fog. I think as an extra brake light it might not be bad but I have not seen it in operation (see the mod from GoMiniGo).

Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is in the R56 forum, you might get a better response in the 1st generation forum (R53).

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
capnmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the perks of using your rear fog light all the time is that you dont get annoyed by it!