Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Stewart Warner Boost Gauge for $70 need pix of oem gauge & knowledge of max boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stewart Warner Boost Gauge for $70 need pix of oem gauge & knowledge of max boost

So I really want to add a boost gauge like DarkMiniCooperS but I don't want to use Autometer because I want to be as close to oem as possible and have a chrome bezel and have the display light as close to oem as possible so I need your help.

I've been in touch with Classic Mini and you cannot just buy a Boost gauge from Mini. This is surprising, because you can buy every other SW gauge. I'll check again before I commit, but assuming they are correct…

SW has several silver face boost gauges, but which one is closest to oem? Therefore I need your help.

I need a pix of the oem boost gauge as close as you can get to it. I need to see the numbers on both sides of the dial. Then I need to understand if I add a 16% or 17% pulley what is the maximum boost I will see? Based on this I'll buy a SW gauge, and paint the bezel chrome (or have it chromed) and we will see how it works. But first I need pix and knowledge. Can you help? TIA Michael

Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
For the display light, you can use an orange aftermarket bulb and it matches really well the MINI dash lights...

But I don't think AutoMeter has a chrome/silver face gauge...

Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM
AZLarryB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SW MINI-branded gauges not avail thru SW

Stewart-Warner produces the 2 "pod" gauges for MINI with the Cooper S logo on them. They have special part numbers and aren't listed anywhere on the S-W website. I doubt they would sell them direct to anyone. The S-W MINI boost gauge is a 30 in Hg/17 PSI range. The closest you'll find from S-W is this:

http://www.sw-performance.com/produc...?productid=195

30 inHg/15 PSI Vac/Boost Gauge Product Number: 114537 Includes: 6 foot nylon tubing and 1/8" NPT fitting and 1/4" NPT adaptor fitting, incandescent bulb & socket, mounting hardware, red & green light boots, installation instructions Dial Color: Silver Dial Bezel Color: Silver Bezel Range: 30 inHg/15 PSI Size: 2-1/16" Dia.

The LED lighting that comes with the OEM kit is not included with that gauge from S-w, but it is available seperately:

http://www.sw-performance.com/produc...?productid=658

Stewart-Warner has recently announced a bezel customization option for some of their gauges, includung the line of gauges that the above boost gauge belongs to. No Chrome option, but you can buy the bezels individually & customize them yourself (including plastic chroming perhaps)...... S-W claims they just pull off/snap on.

That announcement is here:

http://www.sw-performance.com/downloadfiles/28.pdf