Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Two Questions about my Xenon's.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two Questions about my Xenon's.

Okay.. first. Sometimes my Headlights Auto-Level and sometimes they don't. What are the "requirements" for it to Auto-Level?

Second. Someone told me that if I upgrade to 8000K Bulbs that I will have to change out the Ballast? He said it's because it will not be able to handle the power and that it'll burn out... so I'd just like to know from more sources. Thanks guys...

Old 04-29-2006, 11:45 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
why would you want to upgrade your bulbs to 8000k? That seems silly to me, the factory ones are perfectly designed for your car, the higher the kelvin the more bluish/purple the light looks and the LESS usable light output it has.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Disappointed...

Originally Posted by IrishCooper
That seems silly to me

Wow... this is the first time I've recieved such a post in all my time on NAM. It's like saying "Why mod your Cooper, it seems fine to me." Uhhh.. cause I want to? I am perfectly aware of the downsides to going to a higher color temp and am completely fine with the consequences of such. Considering it's 100% reversible, I don't think I'm making a wild huge jump here.

I asked two simple questions in hopes of recieving a reply with knowledge and experience... and instead I recieve one that questions my motives? Not Cool...

Old 04-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Hey there,

As for as the auto leveling goes?? I have no idea??

I own a commercial lighting and sign business - with all the HID fixtures we deal with, color has no effect on the ballast. A 400 watt MH lamp runs on a 400 watt MH ballast no matter what color the lamp is ( 3500K, 4000K, or ??? ). The main thing is to make sure the lamp & Ballast are the same watts and style of lighting ( you can't run a HPS lamp on a MH ballast ).

HOWEVER, I am not an expert at automotive lighting and there could be something I do not know - but you should be ok.

A word of caution - 8000K is very "blue" and could have the local police giving you problems ( make sure you keep the DOT APPROVED paperwork ). I know here in AZ. some towns are really going after people that have ANY other color ( besides white & amber ) visible from the front of the car. This includes the lighted windshield washers, and the lighted valve stem caps.

Good luck

Old 04-29-2006, 06:30 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
Hey there,

As for as the auto leveling goes?? I have no idea??

I own a commercial lighting and sign business - with all the HID fixtures we deal with, color has no effect on the ballast. A 400 watt MH lamp runs on a 400 watt MH ballast no matter what color the lamp is ( 3500K, 4000K, or ??? ). The main thing is to make sure the lamp & Ballast are the same watts and style of lighting ( you can't run a HPS lamp on a MH ballast ).

HOWEVER, I am not an expert at automotive lighting and there could be something I do not know - but you should be ok.

A word of caution - 8000K is very "blue" and could have the local police giving you problems ( make sure you keep the DOT APPROVED paperwork ). I know here in AZ. some towns are really going after people that have ANY other color ( besides white & amber ) visible from the front of the car. This includes the lighted windshield washers, and the lighted valve stem caps.

Good luck

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about not having any more draw upon the Ballast as long as it's the same rating. Yeah, 8000K is pretty blue, but I'm fine with that. Here in So Cal, they really only pull over Japanese Imports for costmetic things. As long as I don't drive stupid, I think I'll be alright.

When I had my CRX... I'd get pulled over usually once every week for things like car being too low, exhaust, headlights.. little things like that. And my car had a .75" drop, a Magnaflow OEM-Style muffler w/ 2.25" piping and a resonator. My headlights weren't blue at all, they were just white. And everytime I got pulled over, they searched my car and called for backup.

Mind you, I'm not a trouble maker, I don't dress like a trouble maker, I have a full head of hair, no tattoo's, and I don't blast my radio. And I keep a heavy foot reserved for the race track.

If I drive a domestic w/ 3" Pipes and 4" Dumps or a MCS... I get left alone. Fact, I've yet to be pulled over.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
kapps
6th Gear
If that's the look you're going for, then you'll be fine. 8k will be blue to purple in color. The ballast will work as long as you use the same wattage (35W) HID bulb.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the auto leveling feature is located near the rear underside of the car. Unless you have a big load in the back or parked on a hill, the head lights wont level upon starting the car. good luck with the bulbs!