Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Need bluetooth help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:31 PM
stargate823
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need bluetooth help

I know this is going to be a dumb question to some, however understand this is my first trip into bluetooth land.

I just purchased a new Samsung A900 that is bluetooth enabled.

I did not get the factory kit with the car.

What are my options? I have searched a bit in the forums and have ended up completely confused.

I know a headset would work, but I'd much rather be able to make use of the steering wheel buttons and have the sound come through the radio.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:20 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stargate823

I know a headset would work, but I'd much rather be able to make use of the steering wheel buttons and have the sound come through the radio..
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=210
kit to use the MFSW but it doesnt list Samsung

Or goto http://www.car-kit.com/configurator/Base_Unit.asp

I have the MOT IHF1000. Controller is the little silver thing on the dash. It can be wired to shut off the radio or not. Its actually better to not use the radio speakers but use the speaker that comes with the kit. Your choice. If you got MOT, you cant use the MSFW.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:26 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's some info. from another thread:

Here's a link to the official install guide (in PDF format) for the OEM Bluetooth kit:

Official Bluetooth Kit How-To PDF

That should get you going...

However, IMHO there are MUCH better (and MUCH cheaper) solutions out there for the MINI. Check out these two write-ups I did over on MotoringFile.com for alternative Bluetooth solutions for your car:

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth

Integrated Aftermarket Bluetooth: Part 2

I've since upgraded my kit (that's shown in the Part 2 article) to the newer Parrot 3200-LS that has a color LCD screen. It's totally AMAZING! You can set the wallpaper to any image you want (I use a picture of my MINI) and it displays full-color photos of the incomming/outgoing caller. Here's a link to the Parrot kit:

Parrot Hands-Free Car Kits with color LCD

And here it is as a kit from NewMINIStuff.com complete with the plug-n-play interface for the MINI (this is the one I used):

Bluetooth hands free kit for Mini - Parrot 3200

I now have this kit in both of our MINIs and I'm absolutely loving it!

Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 AM
jody
2nd Gear
I have to say I find this entire issue confussing. I have the Samsung A900 also.
Will this product work? I'm not interested in the unit charging the phone. Only utilizing the buttons on the steering wheel for the bluetooth function.
================================================== ========
Bluetooth integration for Minis with 3 spoke wheel with phone buttons (Parrot EVO)
Great value high quality integrated bluetooth hands free kit. The special interface is plug & play for easy DIY fitment(if you can take your stereo out then you can fit this). It requires no cutting or splicing. The kit is controlled by your MFSW phone buttons. The only visible sign that there is a phone kit in the car is the small microphone which requires no holes. Functions available from the wheel; Answer, End, Voice Dial & Volume. The kit will work with any bluetooth mobile phone with headset or handsfree (most current mobiles) You can buy it as a complete kit or just the interface if you already have an EVO kit It will also work with aftermarket stereos (just order the kit according to what stereo came in your Mini) BACK IN STOCK...more

Prices from:
£85.00
(£99.88 inc. VAT)

Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Bump

Old 06-11-2006, 04:05 AM
jody
2nd Gear
Bump

Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
snooter,

Thanks for the great information!

This might be one of the few mods worthy on my new GP later this year!

GoodFinder

Old 06-11-2006, 09:46 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
I have the Parrot EVO kit and plug-n-play from NewMiniStuff and it works great. The only issues I have are that 1. It's difficult sometimes to hear the other caller due to low levels coming from my Treo - this is a know problem with the Treo 650 and certain hansfree kits and, if I pair my old Sony-Ericsson BT phone with the Parrot it is fine. 2. It seems that, no matter where I put my microphon, no one can hear me very well over the car noise if I'm driving at speed. I had a S-E BT kit before this one (swutched to Parrot to get MFSW control) and had the same problem. The MINI cabin just doesn't seem conducive to handsfree, especially with an ALTA CAI installed.

Interested to know where others have their microphones located and what thir callers think of the sound.

Steve

Old 06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Bluetooth Basics

Originally Posted by stargate823
I know this is going to be a dumb question to some, however understand this is my first trip into bluetooth land.

I did not get the factory kit with the car.

What are my options? I have searched a bit in the forums and have ended up completely confused.

I know a headset would work, but I'd much rather be able to make use of the steering wheel buttons and have the sound come through the radio.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Here is the link that got me everything I need to get my Bluetooth working in my '05 MCS. I am using a RAZR with mine and it works great!