Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Retrofit Starter Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
typer139
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Does anyone know if you can get the S2000 kits sold on eBay to work without too much work?
It's actually a simple retrofit, from what I understand. I had one put in my Type R a while ago but the process is same. Just take the switch to your favorite Car Alarm/Stereo shop and have them wire it in. It wires up to a relay connected to the ignition. It's only active in the second accessory position. Mine didn't disable the key start but worked in parallel with it. I could use the key or the button to start the car (with the key in Acc2 position). I believe the OEM S2k button was around $25 and my shop charged me around $50 to wire it in and mount it. If I were to do it in the Mini, my toughest decision would be where to put it without it being to flashy/ricey. I'd probably put it on the left side of the steering colum to be a little more subtle. Hope that helps..

Happy Motoring!

Attached Thumbnails Retrofit Starter Button-dsc00017-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
luckblackbird
1st Gear
oem starter button

Because of the warranty issues I decided not to install the “starter button retrofit kit” my self even it is very straight forward. So I took my precious MCS to the dealer. I could not able take pictures when the technician was doing his job but let me summirize it step by step

1- Disconnect the battery
2-take off the instrument panel cover(right&left)
3 you will see 2 fillister head screw with collar(each side), unscrew them and top trim panel dashboard will come off easly
4-Pull forward the right side of the driver’s side cover instr.panel, it becomes half loose(one side stil attached)
5 Remove the two torx t-20 bolts from the top "lip" of the centre piece, and the one torx t-20 screw from below the centre piece.( please note that some cars have this, some not)[/SIZE][/FONT]
6 Open the glove box, Remove the T20 torx screw that secures lower passenger side edge of the dash center fascia near the airbag panel
7 Pull the centre dash section out which is just clamped into place[/SIZE][/FONT]
8 You have to swap the vent gates +ring and the speedo ring to your new “retrofit kit”
9 remove the bolster underneat the steering column by applying some power downwards( there are 2 SPRING CLIP (1 right +1 left).
10 Unscrew the 2 fillister head screw at the buttom of steering column trim panel, and take it off
11 Ignition starter switch(plug x33) become visible
12-Simply follow the instruction. It is easy because it doesn’t need any chopping, and all details supprisingly mentioned clearly on the instruction. Please note that if you have seat heating(sa 494) wiring is different.
13 Secure the harness at an adequate safety distance from moving parts, and wrap/secure the wiring harness relay with supplied strip
14 Route the wires(open wire A6 and connect branch A7) to instrument holder through pre-drilled hole on the dash.
15 Take the instrument holder(speedo meter) off and connect the open wire A6 to terminal d(plug x11177) via miniature connector
16 Connect branch A7(4pin sw socket casing) to starter button.
17- Connect the battery and test everything is OK
18 Reassemle the car.

I bought it for $ 199,- (+ $12,5 for freight) from MorristownMINI. Apprx. You have to wait arround 2 weeks for the parts to be in. I paid EUR 30 for installation. You still have to put your key in for to unlock the steering wheel and switch on the ignition. You cannot start the car with the key any more. who cares!!! Press the starter button untill the engine has starter…it is very smooth…in my opinion it is the coolest mod. I have on my car…

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Is the OEM starter button relocatable? I mean, if I don't want it on the dash, but put it somewhere stealthy? Is it possible?

Wouldnt you want to be the lucky valet driver trying to start the car w/ a stealth start button...

Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Very nice.

Thanks for the instruction and pix.

Too bad you don't have a photo step by step.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Logitex
1st Gear
Originally Posted by aminicooper
Is the OEM starter button relocatable? I mean, if I don't want it on the dash, but put it somewhere stealthy? Is it possible?

Wouldnt you want to be the lucky valet driver trying to start the car w/ a stealth start button...
Yeah thats a sweet idea. And also if you forget your keys your family wouldn't be able to use it.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
van868
2nd Gear
i had one ordered already how do yo turn off the car by the way.

van

Old 04-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd assume that since the key has to be in the running position you'd just turn the key back as you normally would.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 PM
dbert4
1st Gear
Whats the point of making your Mini into a Saab anyway?