Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical 'give me a break light' fog conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'give me a break light' fog conversion

Just installed the 'Give me a Brake Light' fog light conversion kit that I ordered from myminiparts.com
Pretty sure from the instructions that came with it, that NAM's very own mini-rolls built the kit. (way to go man )

I love it. I didn't get the Fog Light option on my MINI, and have hated looking at that black plug.

Other than my son getting ahold of the splice wire and pulling off the labled taps, (I had to figure out which direction the diode needed to go)...
the install was easy. (easier than I thought it was going to be)

here are some shots..

Black hole:

New light:

ALL READY TO GO::

Thanks for making it easy mini-rolls

Old 07-22-2005, 06:30 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Looks good. Mine will be going in tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
2stroke
1st Gear
I installed the reverse light kit from Mymini last week. I got tired of looking at that black plug too! The brake light looks good!

Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
Just installed the 'Give me a Brake Light' fog light conversion kit that I ordered from myminiparts.com
Pretty sure from the instructions that came with it, that NAM's very own mini-rolls built the kit. (way to go man )

Thanks for making it easy mini-rolls
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you like the kit and found it easy to install. I have tried to make this as easy as possible. Peter @ MYMINIPARTS is a great guy and I happy that he is carrying all my products. My wife and I just build these at home on the side trying to help MINI owners make their MINI's a little safer.

If you want to know how to use either (brake or reverse) light once my kit is installed just let me know. I have both and change the light out once and awhile just to keep people guessing.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:48 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
backup / brake

You guys do a great job packaging that kit. "Quality" is the word that comes to mind.
I'd be curious to see what other products you make.

I think I would like to have both brake and back up...
Wouldn't you just add another tap from the back up light power?

Actually, it would be really cool to have a dual bulb light that lit up clear for back up and red for brake.

"If you build it they will come..." :smile:

Old 07-23-2005, 12:07 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
it would be really cool to have a dual bulb light that lit up clear for back up and red for brake
This would be a great mod. Does the bulb and holder fill up the housing, or is there enough space to drill a hole and insert a second bulb fixture, perhaps from the side of the housing?

Old 07-23-2005, 02:50 PM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
challenge

there appears to be enough room for a 2nd light, the challenge would be to split the color of the reflector, red/clear. to distinguish between braking and backing up.

any one have any ideas?

(mini-rolls I know you have something up your sleeve...)

Old 07-23-2005, 05:59 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
This is what I've been planning to try. Use a backup light housing, which has a white/clear lens. The backup light fixture will then use its regular white/clear bulb. For the brake light fixture, simply use a red bulb (or better, one of those newer types of bulb that looks silvered but lights up red, so the unlit bulb won't show through the white lens). So, if two bulb fixtures can fit in the housing, I think this will allow both brake and backup lights to work.

It is one of the projects I had lined up for my car. I'd be doing it now except that my wife and I decided to cancel our order (after already having waited several months!) and order an '06 PW cabrio.

Now, to take it even one step further, imagine if the rear fog can do all three functions: fog light, backup, and brake! The brute force way is to try and cram three light fixtures into the housing. However, since the fog and brake are both red, there should be some way to make them share a red light bulb, and then just two light fixtures as above would be sufficient. Making the brake and fog share the same bulb would require some extra circuitry. Care to take a look at this, mini-rolls?

Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Just got my break light in. Great job, mini-rolls. Love it!

Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Just ordered mine Has anyone had to install the harness for a pre 10/04/04 build? Is it difficult?

Lois

Old 07-23-2005, 08:20 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
Just ordered mine Has anyone had to install the harness for a pre 10/04/04 build? Is it difficult?

Lois
I did. Tight quarters, but not too bad. Took me all of 15-20 minutes at most. I did see a bunch of wires running underneath the rear bumper cover. Anyone know what those are for?

Old 07-23-2005, 09:45 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by goaljnky
I did. Tight quarters, but not too bad. Took me all of 15-20 minutes at most. I did see a bunch of wires running underneath the rear bumper cover. Anyone know what those are for?
Backup Sensors are what most of the wires are for.....

Old 07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
So, Dave...

My husband who is an electrical engineer & pretty car savvy should have no problem installing the harness & the brake light that I just ordered from you?

Lois

Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
So, Dave...

My husband who is an electrical engineer & pretty car savvy should have no problem installing the harness & the brake light that I just ordered from you?

Lois
The kit has detailed instructions with color photos and is pretty easy. I had a friend that does not work on cars or does not know anything electrical installations, follow my directions and he did it in 20 minutes. I also had a friend that is tech for MINI install it on his MINI and he thought it was a great idea. Also, just to let you know, people in my area the have early 05's without the harness ask the service manager what they can do to get a light and make it work; He gives them my number......

Old 07-23-2005, 10:02 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Thanks, Dave:smile:

Lois