Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Drivers window dead!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers window dead!?

Today i noticed that my drivers side window (US spec that is) no longer operates. I don't think it's even "dipping" when i close and open the door. The other window works fine. My first thought was to check the fuse, but the fuse is fine?! When i operate the window switch, and while listening under the steering wheel, i can hear what sounds like a relay operating, but no window function.

Any thoughts? Am i doomed to go into the dealer with this?

Old 05-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are doomed to the dealer with this one I'm afraid. We had the same problem in our 02' with the passenger window. After 2 years, all of a sudden it pooped out...the dealer fixed us right up... New window motor....

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS

Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Off to the dealer you go. It's probably the motor, it's a common problem

Old 05-31-2005, 10:51 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Quick Fix

Mine stopped working as well. It wouldn't even do the slight drop at opening.

I read somewhere that you can "bump" the area above the speaker, a few times and it'll start working again.

I did that, and after a few attemps with the toggle switch and my remote (holding down the unlock button). It finally came down and started working after that.

I did, eventually, get it replaced at the dealership.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM
NOCLWNS
1st Gear
Tha passenger window on my '02 pooped out a few months ago. I've been meaning to get it fixed.

I think it would be a bigger priority if it were the driver window instead!

Old 05-31-2005, 02:16 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Bummer for me!!

Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a motor go out, too. Fixed under warranty...good as new since.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:39 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Ditto to having to replace awindow motor. Driver's side on my '02 after about 2 years...

Sounds like a common theme to me...

Since I just ordered an '05 - has there been any part changes or are we just waiting for our brethren in the '04 & '05's to join the crowd???

Old 05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
...has there been any part changes or are we just waiting for our brethren in the '04 & '05's to join the crowd???
Mine was an 04 just under 10 months before replacement.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:41 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by NOCLWNS
Tha passenger window on my '02 pooped out a few months ago. I've been meaning to get it fixed.

I think it would be a bigger priority if it were the driver window instead!
Same thing happened to me in March. I never use my passenger side window so who knows how long it wasn't working. I have an 03' MCS with about 20,000 miles on it.

Makes sense once monthly to check the function of the windows.

Get those windows fixed under warranty ASAP.

Maybe they used subcontractors that had cheap sources for parts- seems those windows fail way more than they should.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
My driver's side window also stopped working last Nov. - since winter (and Christmas shopping) was just starting I felt I could live with it for a while.
At the end of Marchl the arm that holds the driver's door open started to "clunk" when opening the door. I shot some WD40 onto it to see if a little bit of oil would make a difference. It did - but not to the arm - my window is now working fine (I still have to get some white lube for the hold-open arm).

Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
If crank windows were an option on the MINI, I'd consider paying extra for them.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:48 PM
minivern
2nd Gear
Get thee to the dealer quickly!! I had the same thing happen...(un)fortunately I drive my MCS a lot and the warrenty had expired. Both my driver's and passenger's window motors went out....to the tune of $600. So don't wait too long. It's not going to get better!!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:16 AM
rg
3rd Gear
Fixed it...at least for now

Just wanted to update on this. i called the dealer and they had me try the "pound on the door fool with the switch" solution. It worked! Seems to be working fine now, but i will definitely keep an eye on it. I'm still well under warranty so it's got time to mess up again.

Thanks for all your support!

Old 06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
AZMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rg
Just wanted to update on this. i called the dealer and they had me try the "pound on the door fool with the switch" solution. It worked! Seems to be working fine now, but i will definitely keep an eye on it. I'm still well under warranty so it's got time to mess up again.

Thanks for all your support!
That doesn't mean they are fixed. That means you have just pushed the complete failure back a little bit. Get them replaced. Both of mine died and have been replaced. I could hit the door and they would work.
They are both about to die again. They are squeaking and leaving greasy streaks on the inside of the window. Back to the dealer for motors 3 and 4.
I really wish Mini would actually recognize these problems and resolve them rather than saying "what problem?". Once we are out of warranty, they WILL fail again unless Mini actually fixes the issue. Maybe its time for a few letters to the NTSB about this. Could be a safety issue if you can't roll down your windows to escape the vehicle in an accident.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 AM
rg
3rd Gear
and to further update...

this past week i went to the drive thru at Chick-Fil-A and guess what wasn't working?! So now i've got an appointment to take the little fella into the dealer!
Thanks again for all your advice!

Old 06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
When both of mine failed ('03 MCS), the service rep told me the replacement parts were an improved design, and they replaced the passenger side even though it was working again when I brought it in (after a pounding). We'll see. Sad that the '04s still had problems.

And such problems in a car narrow enough to reach over and crank the passenger window while belted in to the driver's seat too...

Old 07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
my 04 has just died, and I did the pounding trick.

They work again, but for how long?

Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Pat W
2nd Gear
my window first had a problem last november. but it started working again. I told the dealer and they wouldn't do anything until they can verify that it doesn't work. every time I try to take it there it starts working again. I think they have it rigged to make me frustrated and wait until the warrenty is out before they go out all the way.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:37 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
So where exactly do you pound it???

Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
It worked! I gave it a bang, and it went down! I'll still make the appt. to get it replaced though.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
I pounded it right above the speaker. I just got both window motors replaced though, so hopefully it won't happen again!

Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Aldo
Neutral
Hi,

Same problem on the drivers door 2 times. Apparently the problem is that the electric motor can push the window past the up limit switch. I was told to push the window down hard while pushing the window switch down will cause the window to physicaly engage the limit switch and every thing starts to work again. Problem is they fixed mine and now the window rattles, which means it is not setting in the groove at the top of the door frame. So it's back to the dealer again. This is obvoiusly a design flaw in the electric window winder mechanism.

Aldo

Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Add me to the list...

11/03 build 2004 MCS with 24,500 miles on it. It's been squeaking for a couple of weeks and as of this morning it doesn't work at all. I don't have time to get it to a dealer in the next couple of weeks, so I guess I'll try pounding on the door as a temporary fix.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:47 AM
MiniRiderBill
2nd Gear
"POUNDING" on the door!!!

EEEKKKK!!! . If my window stops working I'm definitely not going to "pound" on the door. What kind of fix is that!!! Please people hold them accountable and make them fix the problem . Even if it requires time at the dreaded dealership. It's the only way the trend, of "pounding" will be reversed.

Quick Reply: Electrical Drivers window dead!?