Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Custom harness help! Move the Tach!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom harness help! Move the Tach!

I am looking to move the tach on the steering wheel to underneath the toggle switches. Then installing a TomTom 300 (navi unit) where the tach was.

How would I go about building or having someone build a harness that would plug into the existing wires so that I could extend them far enough to reach under the toggles.

It looks like a standard 12 pin conector. Any suggestions would be greatly appericated !!

Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's easy....

I don't know if you can find the connectors, but if you can't just cut the wires and install and extender. The unit gets all it's information from a couple of information busses in the car. You can get your own connectors to do an extension, or you can just cut and splice (solder and shrink tubing for a clean look). Should take all of an hour or two.

Mini SHOULD sell the wiring connector for harness repairs, but I'm not sure if they do.... If you really don't want to splice and dice, find pins that will fit the existing conntectors, make an extender cable, and then wrap some electrical tape or the like to make an poor mans connector, Make sure to insulate each pin and wire so that you don't get shorts... That will add an hour or so...

Matt

Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Yea pretty simple in just extending the wires but I think the hardest part would be the running of wires to where you want them and do it cleanly. When you do it I NEED pics though... that would be pretty sweet.

-Josh

Old 07-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
go to a breakers yard buy an old tach and wiring loom from the IKU

remove the male connector from the old tach extend the loom and fit the male connector to the IKU end of your loom
sorry if that sounds a bit messy but it would probably be the cleanest
besides the male connector on the tach is easy to remove it is just pins soldered to the board

Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
sounds simple enough, I have located another tach at the bone yard so all this is could work!!

I will keep you posted

Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Just remember when extending the loom,

that there are a pair of cables I think they are brown in colour that are twisted together these are the bus cables and so your extended cables should be kept this way the others are 12v pos, ground, and I think power for instrument lighting, but they dont need to be twisted just extended