Electrical Mini F56 Hella 500 Fog Lamp Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 AM
Leis
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini F56 Hella 500 Fog Lamp Install

A few notes on a successful install.

1. The best guide is the one on CravenSpeed (https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-f56...ing-light-kit/)
2. You can save a lot of money going with Hellas vs. PIAA or OEM Mini. My cost in Canadian Dollars:
- HELLA 005750512 500 Series Amber Driving Lamps ($53 each on Amazon)
- HELLA 357211011 ValueFit Two Light Wiring Harness,Black ($57 on Amazon)
- OEM Mini Brackets ($100 on EBay – in hindsight I would have paid for the better brackets from Cravenspeed)
So all in I’m less than $300 vs. about double for PIAA’s and even more for OEM Mini (which only come as driving lamps not fogs)
3. Cravenspeed recommends two ways through the firewall, I recommend the first (i.e. 4…..remove a small plastic cap above the driver side wiring loom firewall plug and feed the PIAA wiring through it…). The second one involves drilling a hole close to some wiring that I for one was not comfortable with. Here are some tricks for getting through the upper grommet hole:
a. You can use a drill to put a hole in the grommet to pull it out (i.e. pull it out with a drill bit – I used a 12” 3/8 bit)
b. Pulling the dash panel off from under the steering wheel and next to the door under the vent is easy. You just pull them off, they’re easy to put back on as well.
b. Use a 3ft piece household electrical wire to fish through the hole (it will require some jiggling and maybe a second set of eyes but it can be done)
c. Don’t bother pulling a ground wire through the hole, you can ground it behind the door side panel (see image)
d. The switch wires are too limp to fish through the and the hole is too tight to hook the wire together so here is the trick:
- Use heat shrink to make the two switch wires into a length of combined firm wire (make it a good length, 12”, as this will also protect the wires).
- Heat shrink the end of the two wires to the beginning of the household wire you have managed to pull through. NOTE! You can use this to guide the wires through, not pull them through. Thanks to the combined switch wires being firm thanks to being shrink wrapped together, you can push them while at the same time pulling the connected household wire through – it acts as a guide.

Once your through the firewall, the rest is easy.

Ground

The wire will come trough the lower hole.

Not bad for an Accountant!
I chose this spot for my switch but you have options. I used a 3/4" hole saw an I also have to cut some plastic behind the panel.