Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Auto Headlight Switch Wiring

Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Auto Headlight Switch Wiring

I'm hoping an EE person out there might be able to offer some guidance on this one.

I'm hoping to use the "auto headlights" switch on a the turn signal stalk to turn some daytime running LED lights on.

However, according to the wiring diagram, it looks like the switch position for the low beams and the auto headlights comes out the same wire on the stalk. Anyone know how the body control module would decipher whether the low beams or auto headlights position is selected on the stalk?

Attached Thumbnails Auto Headlight Switch Wiring-turnindicatorcircuit.jpg   Auto Headlight Switch Wiring-turnindicatorpins.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I took my turn signal stalk out which doesn't have the auto headlights switch and did some testing tonight. The turn signals work by having a different voltage for the left and right sent via the same wire to the BCM. (resistances were different between right and left). The auto headlight switch must work in the same way.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work the way I'd like it to without some trouble. The reason being without some coding, I think the parking lights are going to be on whenever the auto headlights are selected.