Electrical Need ideas on how to cleanly run wires to the roof

Old 05-24-2017, 12:15 PM
bkw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need ideas on how to cleanly run wires to the roof

hey All,
It's almost summertime and we're going to try to spend our weekends camping on the beach as much as possible. This is the first year with our Countryman and I was looking for ideas on how to run wires up to the roof to power two LED light bars (36" front and 20" rear) mounted to our Yakima basket.

Without drilling or running the risk of crushing wires by running them through the hatch or door jams, it seems like my only option would be to run the wires from the hood, up the pillar and to the lights.

Can anyone else think of another solution? I guess I could cover the wires in gaffer tape, but looking for a cleaner solution. Oh, and these lights are not permanent and would only be installed when we go camping so ease of attachment would be a big positive.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
bkw
Neutral
Oops, just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Can a mod please move this over to the Countryman Electrical modification side of the house?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Not sure which CM you have. If I was doing this project I'd put a small panel jack in the rubber/plastic boot of the antenna, then you could plug in the lights as needed. Now getting to that might require some headliner surgery.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:35 PM
bkw
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Not sure which CM you have. If I was doing this project I'd put a small panel jack in the rubber/plastic boot of the antenna, then you could plug in the lights as needed. Now getting to that might require some headliner surgery.
That's not a bad idea because I have an R60 with the antenna on the roof. I could probably do a semi perm install by using connectors too.

I'll do some research on the antenna assembly and headliner.

now if i can find a tent that'll fit up there...

Thanks!

Search this Thread