Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Replace Parking Lights with Fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Littlesimo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Parking Lights with Fog lights.

So I've done a ton of reading and youtube videos but I haven't found this specific topic. I just got a 2011 Mini Cooper and it has parking lights but no fog lights. I want to add them to the vehicle despite not having a fog lamp switch. I just want some tips that I'm on the right path so far.

What I've confirmed so far is: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tmotoring.html

This is very close to what I'm looking to do but doesn't address how to add a switch to a car without fog lamps.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:29 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Having a basic understanding of wiring, you could add a switch to the interior pretty simply, and tap a relay off the parking light wires. Run a wire tap from the parking light to a switch, the return wire from a switch to a relay, then run a fused power wire from the battery tap on the engine fuse box to the relay and down to the new fog light bulbs. Done.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome NAM. There is an immense amount of information here on your model of car between the threads, the members and the vendors. It is possible that the fog/driving light harness already exists along with the connections at the interior toggle bank.

I am going to move this to the Gen2 section. Have you searched the Gen2 section for fog lights?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:06 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Doable if you have rudimentary electrical and mechanical skills. Read this thread for lots of info https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3410142. I wired mine with a separate switch on the knee bolster just to the left of the steering wheel (where the oem driving light switch would be located). They are wired with a relay connected to the low beams and can only be turned on when the low beams are on. Check eBay and Amazon for used fog lights or after maket clones. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Littlesimo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This picture is what I'm looking to do. I think I have the switch issues figured out. I'm pretty confident with the Driving Lights now. The only think is Fog Lights housing. From what I've read, it looks like I will need a fog light housing/mounting bracket to replace the driving lights one? R56 MINI...

Attached Thumbnails Replace Parking Lights with Fog lights.-screenshot_20170507-183927.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry, all my comments are about oem fog lights. The halo lights pictured apparently require a different electrical hook up. Also, they look thicker than the oem fogs so you may have to remove the bumper to install them. The washer bottle on the driver's side will get in the way when you try to install them. Obviously, the install is still possible but it may be a little more complicated than installing oem fogs. Good luck.