Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Halogen headlights, LED retrofit pulses or doesn't work at all on low beams. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Elemento1991
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halogen headlights, LED retrofit pulses or doesn't work at all on low beams. Why?

So I am completely perplexed here. I ordered some LEDs and projector headlights to replace the factory headlamps as I wanted the bright white lights. At the harness for the bulb I read 12V low and high beam, no visible change at all. However the LEDs run about a million times brighter on high beams and are putting out about 1 candle power on the low beams. Does anyone know what the issue is here?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Cars with a cannbus (MINI's included) typically run halogen bulbs at a slightly reduced voltage....it does that by pulsing the power to them....this is done to save power, and lengthen the life of the bulbs...
When folks switch to xenons, they typically add a capacitor to the circuit(usually included in the kits) or have to get the car coded to fix the issue....
Guessing something similar is going on here.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Elemento1991
Neutral
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Cars with a cannbus (MINI's included) typically run halogen bulbs at a slightly reduced voltage....it does that by pulsing the power to them....this is done to save power, and lengthen the life of the bulbs...
When folks switch to xenons, they typically add a capacitor to the circuit(usually included in the kits) or have to get the car coded to fix the issue....
Guessing something similar is going on here.
I tried both with and without capacitance. It must be a pulsing that I can not see on a multimeter. I can't think it limits current as LEDs are capable of running on very little power. I read 12.4v DC rock solid on low and high beam. I switched over to AC to see if that different between low and high, it was the same as well. I checked voltage from both conductors to ground as well and they were the same.

With capacitance added I get a full brightness strobing about every 3 seconds, without capacitance I get a very dim flickering. I was going to try to wire them up via relay and a 12 volt source to eliminate the issue but the low beam bulb signal isn't enough to change the state of a relay either.

Tomorrow I will call the dealer and see if they have any fixes or advice for me.

Last edited by Elemento1991; 09-11-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 PM
willgar
2nd Gear
Coding the car for factory xenons would probably fix this. I had similar issues when retrofitting OEM xenons.

Do they flicker with the ignition on but the engine not running?