Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical BMWhat App: What have you coded?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMWhat App: What have you coded?

I got the app a few days ago. What have you coded? What would you like to see the developers add?

I coded my front position lights (where the fog lights would be) to run as drl's

I set the car to unlock doors when engine off and key removed.

I'd like them to add coding for the audio system so I can plug my iPhone into the USB port and music will play without connecting the auxiliary in as well.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:44 PM
RichardF
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the app, I fixed the windows to roll up or down with the remote and when unlocking the fogs and parking lights come on slowly.
I have a GP2 and cant get the position lights or the fogs to be DRL. Would love to be able to just plug iphone into the USB port.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 AM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RichardF
I like the app, I fixed the windows to roll up or down with the remote and when unlocking the fogs and parking lights come on slowly. I have a GP2 and cant get the position lights or the fogs to be DRL. Would love to be able to just plug iphone into the USB port.
Try setting " additional lights, US." To on

Old 05-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone been able to use this to activate rear fogs after added the switch in the switch panel (LCI R56s)?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:00 PM
ManUtdFan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what I've done so far:

Windows up on locking
Digital Speedometer correction
One-touch turn signal function from 3 to 5
Unlock car when turned off
DRL - Hi Beams set to low brightness (I'm thinking that I'll switch this to the front position lights when I upgrade to LED's)

Old 05-27-2015, 03:31 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ManUtdFan
Here's what I've done so far: Windows up on locking Digital Speedometer correction One-touch turn signal function from 3 to 5 Unlock car when turned off DRL - Hi Beams set to low brightness (I'm thinking that I'll switch this to the front position lights when I upgrade to LED's)
I installed led bulbs in my front position lights and coded to run as drl's. They look great!! I got the bulbs for $14.99 on Amazon. They have heat sinks built in and are very bright.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:35 PM
ManUtdFan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pfarinelli
I installed led bulbs in my front position lights and coded to run as drl's. They look great!! I got the bulbs for $14.99 on Amazon. They have heat sinks built in and are very bright.
Don't happen to have the part number do ya?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 PM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by manutdfan
don't happen to have the part number do ya?

BMWhat App: What have you coded?-image-1095722866.jpg

Old 05-27-2015, 04:09 PM
ManUtdFan
1st Gear
Any issues with them, i.e., lights out code?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM
pfarinelli
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ManUtdFan
Any issues with them, i.e., lights out code?
No issues at all. No codes, nothing. The bulbs look fantastic. They match the color of my headlights, nice bright white light.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Ryan Thomas Montgomery
Neutral
I'd like to be able to code the audio system so it takes out the 100hz cutoff to the rear speakers, know its possible on NCS expert but so far having no luck getting that to run

Old 07-31-2015, 08:15 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Try setting " additional lights, US." To on
HI

did you get the first 2 option and additional lights US to active.

Also, in instruments, there is a setting to show in BC?

Ben

Old 08-01-2015, 03:17 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
BMWhat App: What have you coded?

I'd like them to add coding for the audio system so I can plug my iPhone into the USB port and music will play without connecting the auxiliary in as well.
It's my understanding that this can't be done by coding. Coding only enables (or disables) functions already programmed into the car.

Edit: removed stuff that was wrong!

Last edited by bratling; 08-02-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:55 AM
corykueber
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
Has anyone been able to use this to activate rear fogs after added the switch in the switch panel (LCI R56s)?
I would also like to know if anyone was successful with this.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:48 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
I've done a bunch of stuff so far, there is probably more that I'm forgetting:
Flashers blink at double speed
Headlights and fogs on at same time
Digital speedo in tach with speed correction
5x blinkers
Extended the welcome home and "leaving" home times to 90 seconds
Welcome home and leaving to include low beams and rear fog
Coded out bulb errors for LED license plate and reverse light
One remote push unlocks all doors, another opens the drivers window
Windows open/close on lock/unlock w/ remote

The only one I can't get to work is the folding mirrors upon lock and unlock...

Old 11-11-2015, 05:50 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by corykueber
I would also like to know if anyone was successful with this.
While I haven't installed the panel and toggle, I was able to code the fog light to come on when I unlock the car, so I don't think it should be a problem for it to work. Have you tried coding the rear fog (after installing the panel/toggle) and not had luck?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:13 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by InDaClubMan
I've done a bunch of stuff so far, there is probably more that I'm forgetting:
Flashers blink at double speed
Headlights and fogs on at same time
Digital speedo in tach with speed correction
5x blinkers
Extended the welcome home and "leaving" home times to 90 seconds
Welcome home and leaving to include low beams and rear fog
Coded out bulb errors for LED license plate and reverse light
One remote push unlocks all doors, another opens the drivers window
Windows open/close on lock/unlock w/ remote

The only one I can't get to work is the folding mirrors upon lock and unlock...
Wow, what did you use. How can someone like me get started. I am not good with computers. I would love to do this - hey thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 AM
InDaClubMan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BennyF
Wow, what did you use. How can someone like me get started. I am not good with computers. I would love to do this - hey thanks
Benny - here is some background info:
1. You need the BMWhat app. There is a "lite" version that is free, it wont code but it is a good way to be sure you can connect your car to the app. The full version of the app is about $45. I got the free version for iOS in the app store and once I was able to connect to my car, I installed the full version. I know you can get it for Android too, but I dont know where to get Android apps since I dont have one.

2. You need what is called a "dongle". A dongle is basically a wifi (for iOS) or a Bluetooth (for Android) version of a traditional cord that would be used by an OBDII scan tool. The dongle plugs into your OBDII port and then send a signal for your phone/ipad/etc. to communicate with.

2a. You have some options for the dongle.

Option 1: A fully supported dongle, for either android or iOS can be bought from carly directly via there amazon store (for US customers) for about $75. This dongle is fully supported by the vendor and should work for every model they advertise.

The iOS dongle link is:
Amazon.com: Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2 Iphone and Ipad - Best App for BMW: Automotive Amazon.com: Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2 Iphone and Ipad - Best App for BMW: Automotive

The bluetooth version should also be in the related products section too, if you have an android device.

Option 2: A generic dongle for anywhere from $15-40. Some features or car models wont be able to connect (if you buy a generic one, I recommend trying the lite version of the app to ensure you can connect). I bought this one from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200911500498?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It worked great on my R55, but on my e46 and e90, it wouldnt connect so I ended up getting the iOS version in the link in option 1.

Side note, I'd sell my generic dongle that worked on the r55 (and r56) since I have the fully supported version.

3. Once you have the dongle and full version of the app, connection is simple, for my iphone i did the following:
- turn on airplane mode
- plug dongle into obd2 port
- turned on wifi (or BT if android)
- connected to wifi network created by dongle (the naming of the network was easy to figure out)
- opened app
- selected car from list
- clicked connect
- clicked coding
- coded modules that were available
note: the app makes a backup of the module so if you have troubles, you can restore the module settings from the back up.

4. Here is the list of models and what functions are supported (note, sometimes, all codings may not work but the MAJORITY of them do):
http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge..._campaign=home

good luck and if you decide to go through with this, let us know if you have any questions.

5. if anyone is in the Connecticut area and isnt up for the cost of the app or is intimidated to try coding their car, I would be happy to code away for a few pennies - PM me for details.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 PM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Dongle

Does the iPhone need to be jailbroken for the generic eBay dongle to work?
The eBay listing says it does...
Thanks!
----
QUOTE=InDaClubMan;4143384]Benny - here is some background info:
1. You need the BMWhat app. There is a "lite" version that is free, it wont code but it is a good way to be sure you can connect your car to the app. The full version of the app is about $45. I got the free version for iOS in the app store and once I was able to connect to my car, I installed the full version. I know you can get it for Android too, but I dont know where to get Android apps since I dont have one.

2. You need what is called a "dongle". A dongle is basically a wifi (for iOS) or a Bluetooth (for Android) version of a traditional cord that would be used by an OBDII scan tool. The dongle plugs into your OBDII port and then send a signal for your phone/ipad/etc. to communicate with.

2a. You have some options for the dongle.

Option 1: A fully supported dongle, for either android or iOS can be bought from carly directly via there amazon store (for US customers) for about $75. This dongle is fully supported by the vendor and should work for every model they advertise.

The iOS dongle link is:
Amazon.com: Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2 Iphone and Ipad - Best App for BMW: Automotive Amazon.com: Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2 Iphone and Ipad - Best App for BMW: Automotive

The bluetooth version should also be in the related products section too, if you have an android device.

Option 2: A generic dongle for anywhere from $15-40. Some features or car models wont be able to connect (if you buy a generic one, I recommend trying the lite version of the app to ensure you can connect). I bought this one from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200911500498?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It worked great on my R55, but on my e46 and e90, it wouldnt connect so I ended up getting the iOS version in the link in option 1.

Side note, I'd sell my generic dongle that worked on the r55 (and r56) since I have the fully supported version.

3. Once you have the dongle and full version of the app, connection is simple, for my iphone i did the following:
- turn on airplane mode
- plug dongle into obd2 port
- turned on wifi (or BT if android)
- connected to wifi network created by dongle (the naming of the network was easy to figure out)
- opened app
- selected car from list
- clicked connect
- clicked coding
- coded modules that were available
note: the app makes a backup of the module so if you have troubles, you can restore the module settings from the back up.

4. Here is the list of models and what functions are supported (note, sometimes, all codings may not work but the MAJORITY of them do):
http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge..._campaign=home

good luck and if you decide to go through with this, let us know if you have any questions.

5. if anyone is in the Connecticut area and isnt up for the cost of the app or is intimidated to try coding their car, I would be happy to code away for a few pennies - PM me for details.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
These look like more diodes than the Zyza bulbs. Do you know if they're brighter?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
It's my understanding that this can't be done by coding. Coding only enables (or disables) functions already programmed into the car.

Edit: removed stuff that was wrong!
i've done this via ncsexpert; just posted about it actually. it's in the media module and depending on your phone type; may need to have the usb port changed from analog to digital.

USB1_IPOD_AUDIO
digital

this setting lets you use lightning cable and iphone 5/5s/6/6s to play back music via front usb and also charge phone and also use mini connected

Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
---

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 AM
jkcof
Neutral
Does carly support pre-facelift r56?
Do I have to buy the gen2 adapter or just the gen1?

Regards!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Club77
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After I do some coding to the FRM I receive error and can't support this FRM coding anymore. Any way to restore it back? Now the whole car lighting is out of function.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Club77
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have the link or how to code Mini Connected, GPS and voice commend? As my doesn't come with this function.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical BMWhat App: What have you coded?