Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Third brake light pulsar proper polarity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Third brake light pulsar proper polarity?

I received my third brake light pulsar, but when I looked it over it clearly shows which connector is plus and minus (+ -) on the circuit board but on the blue plastic housing mounted right on top on the + symbol looks like somebody used a black marker indicating negative. Extremely confused and I'm sure you can see why, anybody know what's what?

Appreciated.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM
RJT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I received my third brake light pulsar, but when I looked it over it clearly shows which connector is plus and minus (+ -) on the circuit board but on the blue plastic housing mounted right on top on the + symbol looks like somebody used a black marker indicating negative. Extremely confused and I'm sure you can see why, anybody know what's what?

Appreciated.

I noticed the same thing when I did the install. Had to use the exstention wires to add length needed to put the plastric trim back in place as well. yellow and brown wire from car......Brown possitive, yellow negative, according to the black marker indicated on the wire seat of the circuit. I left my on the 3 second pulse, didn't want people behind me having potential seizures whilst in traffic! Hope this helps..

Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJT
I noticed the same thing when I did the install. Had to use the exstention wires to add length needed to put the plastric trim back in place as well. yellow and brown wire from car......Brown positive, yellow negative, according to the black marker indicated on the wire seat of the circuit. I left my on the 3 second pulse, didn't want people behind me having potential seizures whilst in traffic! Hope this helps..
I'm talking about the connectors on the PCB, it shows positive on PCB and also black on the screw that compresses the actual bare wire that's marked in black. See where the black marking is, on the PCB it shows it being positive in the picture. I have a 50/50 chance to short circuit my MCS's footwell module! This is ridiculous, I'll just send it back.

Attached Thumbnails Third brake light pulsar proper polarity?-20141203_165156-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Systemlord; 12-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 PM
RJT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understood what you meant and I noticed the same with mine. As mentioned I used the brown as the + and the yellow wire the -, this,only after I had wired it the opposite way. It does not short circuit if wired incorrectly, a very easy install, just follow the marker marked wire connector as negative. Works perfectly.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJT
I understood what you meant and I noticed the same with mine. As mentioned I used the brown as the + and the yellow wire the -, this,only after I had wired it the opposite way. It does not short circuit if wired incorrectly, a very easy install, just follow the marker marked wire connector as negative. Works perfectly.
I'll give it a try and just confirm that it works before putting everything back together, thank you RJT.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Chicanery
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting on it for the benefit of those that use the search function to find information on various topics. The information in this thread is incorrect. The "black mark" stated earlier in the thread is actually made by a red marker on a blue item attached to the circuit board. Granted, because the red marker is used on a blue background it does look kind of black, but if you look closely it is in fact red indicating that it is the positive "+" side. Also, it is stated in a previous post that the brown wire is "+", that is also incorrect. I used an electrical tester and confirmed that it is in fact the yellow wire that is "+" and is the one that should go into the pulsar unit where the red mark is (also marked as positive if you look closely at the circuit board itself). Once again, brown wire=negative or ground "-" , yellow wire=positive"+". Hope this helps someone with their installation of this part. It is a nice little unit and so far has functioned exactly as advertised for me.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Klean (08-02-2018)