Electrical LED Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
NYC Eng
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Headlights?

I've been searching for a comparison shot between the HID and LED headlights but can't find anything.

I am looking to place an order so I'm wondering if the LED headlights worth it?

Thanks..

Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM
MiniSquirty
2nd Gear
The standard lights are not HID. they are regular "yellow" halogens.

The general consensus for those who built their cars with led headlights is that it's definitely worth it. Those who did not purchase argued that replacement costs would be prohibitively expensive should it go out.

I went with the LED and am happy I did. The car looks so much better at night.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I had Xenons on my r56. Let's on the F56.
I prefer the xenons. The turning feature on the leds is cool but all in I would say xenon if they are an option. Better at night on a dark road. IMO.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:30 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYC Eng
I've been searching for a comparison shot between the HID and LED headlights but can't find anything.

Thanks..
I've got the LED's and love them. They really light up the road and are very effective in fog (with the fog lights on which are LED too). I'm with GK on the turning/cornering feature - cute but not worth the $$$'s additional they want.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
I had Xenons on my r56. Let's on the F56.
I prefer the xenons. The turning feature on the leds is cool but all in I would say xenon if they are an option. Better at night on a dark road. IMO.
I'd disagree, the LED's are MUCH more effective at night than the Xenon's...similar to the jump between the Xenon's and the Halogens.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 AM
The Meal
4th Gear
My experience matches JohnBLZ's. The LEDs are a huge improvement, even over the Xenons.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
Get the LED Headlights...They are worth the upgrade cost.

Especially compared to the stock halogens...if you value seeing things at night, its a no-brainer.

And if you want those LED Daytime Running Lights...they only come with the LED headlights.

The fog lights are also actually useful.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
had cornering HIDs on my 135i and ordered the LEDs on the F56. Hands down the best headlights I've had on any car. Even the LED foglights are awesome. Now I just want to get it coded so that I car run my fogs and high beams at the same time and I'll be all set!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 AM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by randomquickness
had cornering HIDs on my 135i and ordered the LEDs on the F56. Hands down the best headlights I've had on any car. Even the LED foglights are awesome. Now I just want to get it coded so that I car run my fogs and high beams at the same time and I'll be all set!
How ???

Old 12-03-2014, 11:55 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
refer to the coding thread for that...I had it done on my 328 touring and it was great. I drive in the dark on unlit roads everyday so it gives me the added close up light from the fogs as well as the distance from the high beams.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I finally saw another F56 with the LED headlights the other night. We passed each other on a busy road so I only got a glimpse but they are as unique looking as everyone has been telling me. You stand out A LOT compared to other cars, which can only be good for safety.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:34 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
I have them with the cornering and the LED fogs and I absolutely love them!! Expensive but hell it's only money.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really like mine, but I think $750 for that alone is too steep. I got it because I wanted the 16" wheels and sports seats. LED headlight was part of the $1500 SportsPackage making it actually cost less than $750 overall, so I just went for that. Also, Consumer reports complained that regular halogen lights are too dark.

There is some purple tone on the cut-off, but that's cool too. I hope it doesn't break after the warranty period, otherwise it's going to cost at least $1000 per.

edit: After using them more in the dark, I really love them. I also tried high beam in a rural farm area, those are just awesome. No distracting throw pattern or anything, it just looks like it's evenly lit up to very far distance. Now I wish I had ordered the LED fog lights too.

Last edited by hp79; 01-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:11 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I would have ordered them if I'd bought an F56. I really like my blacked out BiXenons though. They look great unlit.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 AM
NJpark
1st Gear
I am more than pleased I got the LEDs and they are the brightest headlights ever. It blows away my 2013 BMW X3 HIDs. Worth every penny IMO.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
I bought the LEDs because I thought they looked cool and I always wished I didn't have the plain ol halogens in my last car. They do look awesome and light up the road better than the Xenons in my 2010 Miata and the Mini Coupe loaner.

One of the only options I got and I'm glad I did!!
I actually look forward to driving at night now.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We got the LED with cornering lights and LED fog lights. It is the best lighting package I've ever had in a car. My current car has Xenon's and the LEDs are better. The cornering lights are awesome. The fog lights we could do without, but they do match perfectly in color with the rest of the lights. The only reason we got the LED fog lights was because we thought they would be the Halo fogs. Don't believe the picture on the Configurator.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM
becky1711
4th Gear
I got both front and rear fogs just because. I figured I'd probably never use them but in fact used them over Thanksgiving. When I ran into some very thick mountain fog, I was very glad I had them. A family member following behind me said I was the only car she could see well because of my rear fog.

The LED headlights might be "too" bright. This same trip I got flashed for brights several times. Double checked each time to confirm my high beams were not on.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 PM
vegbiker
2nd Gear
Well, after hearing all the rave reviews about LED headlights, it may be the one option I'm regretting not getting. For a mere $100, I did get the rear fog light and even though it's never foggy where I live, I think it will easily pay for itself in heavy rain and snow.

Has anyone else experienced the "too bright" phenomenon that Becky mentioned?

Also, any ideas of how I could upgrade the standard bulbs? I'm afeard I don't know much about modern headlight bulbs, let alone what would work in a Mini.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vegbiker
Well, after hearing all the rave reviews about LED headlights, it may be the one option I'm regretting not getting. For a mere $100, I did get the rear fog light and even though it's never foggy where I live, I think it will easily pay for itself in heavy rain and snow.

Has anyone else experienced the "too bright" phenomenon that Becky mentioned?

Also, any ideas of how I could upgrade the standard bulbs? I'm afeard I don't know much about modern headlight bulbs, let alone what would work in a Mini.
Cheapest and easiest solution for you would be to upgrade the headlight bulbs themselves. Owners manual for 2014 MINI Hardtop states that the Halogen low-beams/high-beams are H4 bulbs. Standard wattage for H4 Bulbs is 55W low-beams/60W high-beams. You can purchase Hella H4 bullbs that run at 80W low-beams/100W high-beams. This will give you noticeably better light output but usually shorter bulb life, and can POSSIBLY melt your wiring harness.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 AM
xplosiveg06
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vegbiker

Also, any ideas of how I could upgrade the standard bulbs?.
+1 I just picked up a 2015 justa and wish I opted for the led headlights, however the dealer had none in stock with stickshift.

would i be able to just add an aftermarket hid or led kit or would it throw a bulb out warning ?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NYC Eng

Thanks..
Totally worth it. They are bright and go a long distance. Street lines glow!

Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
anotherminiinthegarage
2nd Gear
We live in Tucson, which is a dark skies city. The LED headlights are well worth it here.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can also replace the stock H4 bulbs with LED bulbs. Very bright and have the same light pattern as the halogens you'll be replacing.

Although the mini led setup is also what I regret not getting.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:12 PM
xplosiveg06
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Crimguy
You can also replace the stock H4 bulbs with LED bulbs. Very bright and have the same light pattern as the halogens you'll be replacing.

Although the mini led setup is also what I regret not getting.
did you already replace your h4 bulbs with LEDs? if so which kit did you purchase? i just want to make sure i dont have flickering or bulb out warnings.

Quick Reply: Electrical LED Headlights?