Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical ABS unit not responding to INPA

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Russ Taylor
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS unit not responding to INPA

Hello,

Ok this has been about two months of weekends now and I'm at the point of giving in

I have built a new xp laptop with INPA, Mini standard tools, DIS, SSS, TIS, everything I can find.

They talk to the mini ok, good news

My mini has no working speedo and dash lights stuck on, this points to a dodgy wheel speed sensor, abs unit etc.

The fault was intermittent e.g. at speed the lights would flash on/off, then eventually the speedo would cut in/out, and now it has nothing.

I tried talking to the ABS unit to find which wheel sensor was down and the snapon computer couldn't talk to it. So I built this laptop, same problem. I then bought a replacement ABS computer and same problem! I haven't plumbed the abs into the brake system though as I think I need the laptop to tell it to self bleed, and if I can't do that then the car will be undriveable.

Now I cannot decide, is there something wrong with the loom, have I bought ANOTHER duff abs unit, is it the speedo?

I'm at my wits end, if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem with my car. I've taken it to the dealer, and they said their machine wouldn't connect to the DSC/ABS system in my car. They'd told me the ABS was broken, but I know for a fact it still works. I get ABS to actuate on a slippery street all the time.

I've replaced two wheel speed sensors thus far with no result, either.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Russ Taylor
Neutral
Well I finally fixed it last night

It was a broken wire in the loom, something I had heard was common(ish) but not where I found the break.

Hopefully this is of some use to someone

Last edited by Russ Taylor; 04-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question: did your ABS seem to work before you fixed the broken wire?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Russ Taylor
Neutral
I can't say I tested it in all honesty.

I can't see it would have worked as the ABS computer wasn't powered or talking to anything or passing the wheel speed signal / output to the speedo so it couldn't have worked.

Saying that the car has a lot of weight and fat little wide tyres so it's pretty difficult to lock up anyway.

It's quiet easy to get to and check the loom. Battery out, battery tray out, scuttle panel vent out, unbolt abs pump (leave it plumbed into brakes though), remove plastic panel in scuttle panel ... voila, you can check all around the loom