Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Spec-D Headlights with Projectors & Halos... some pics and info

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see that the company Junyan makes the spec-d products. I saw that they mentioned you could remove the halo ring, or replace it. Is the projector unit removable or do you need to split the case? I'd like the spec-d's but without the halo.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 PM
wick78
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually bought a set of spec-d chrome lights for my r56. I bought some hid from theretrofitsource.com .im taking pictures and im gonna post them in a new topic.

Last edited by wick78; 03-16-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM
wick78
1st Gear
I already opened up one light and took off the halo ring. It looks like its missing something because there's a gap where the ring would sit. I bought these lights for $85 bucks. One had a broken tab that was glued back on but I took off the glue and used jb-stick to keep it secured

Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Scooby Doo
1st Gear
Would these headlights be an ok option if you're not adding any HID's? My car's headlights are scratched, tinted, and broken and I need to replace them both. I can't drive my car currently at night unless the fog lights are also on.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 AM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo
Would these headlights be an ok option if you're not adding any HID's? My car's headlights are scratched, tinted, and broken and I need to replace them both. I can't drive my car currently at night unless the fog lights are also on.
I drove for a few days without the HID upgrade since the lights came in before the kit did. They're OK. If you're not going to do HID, then I would just replace the factory headlamps with OEM replacements and not bother with these because you will LOSE your high beams OR you will have to deal with warnings that the high beams are not working. I thought I had a work-around for this, but it turns out I don't. I am just dealing with the fact that my car tells me every time I start it that my bulbs aren't working. It's a little annoying, but my lights + HID kit work great so it makes up for it. Without the HID kit, I would have thrown these in the trash SO FAST....

Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Scooby Doo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by s0n1c
I drove for a few days without the HID upgrade since the lights came in before the kit did. They're OK. If you're not going to do HID, then I would just replace the factory headlamps with OEM replacements and not bother with these because you will LOSE your high beams OR you will have to deal with warnings that the high beams are not working. I thought I had a work-around for this, but it turns out I don't. I am just dealing with the fact that my car tells me every time I start it that my bulbs aren't working. It's a little annoying, but my lights + HID kit work great so it makes up for it. Without the HID kit, I would have thrown these in the trash SO FAST....
Thanks! I guess I'll just go with OEM replacements then if it's not really worth it.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 PM
wick78
1st Gear
To be honest its a hit or miss. My lights stock halogen projectors had different cutoffs. The shields were off one had a good cutoff the other was horrible. But I bought them to change out the projectors to hid projectors. Ill post some pictures once I figure it out

Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear

Here is my R56 with the Spec-D headlights installed. I talk for a bit about the side effects of having them vs the factory lights. Just for reference.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you guys know my headlights still look like brand new and its been on a ship for a few months in the open air on a low-boy, and sat in open air customs warehouse for 5 months

Using these these lights with OEM ballasts/bulbs has worked killer.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM
packruler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s0n1c: What did you remove to make the high beams stay on when in constant mode? Is there a way to make the lights stay on when you flip to highbeam constant on or flash? I am thinking about using rally lights as my high beam but kinda weak if the headlights go off when I do that.

Last edited by packruler; 03-20-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 AM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
I removed the warning canceller. It seems that if the car thinks the high beam doesn't work, it will leave the low beam on but still send power to the high beam. My guess is that with the factory H13 bulb, this way you would at least have some light on that side, even if it's not the high beam. By removing the canceller, the high beam will stay on in constant mode, and I can use the flash mode only if my lights are already on.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
wick78
1st Gear
I bought the lights to retrofit them. Good lights so far

Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM
knife
1st Gear
BUYER BEWARE: These are terrible lights. Even worse customer service.

Bought these lights few years ago and honestly not worth the nightmare. Lets see..

1. they flickered. Told them and after a week or so, they sent out new ballasts. One week later, they blew out. Called them to have the issue fixed, and maybe to send new ones but couldn't get a hold of anyone so had to buy my own 3rd party.

2. High beam didn't work. After a week of them not working at all, i tried again, and now they just remained stuck in the on position.

3. The lights would sporadically not turn on. You'd have to turn the car on and off to get them to work finally. Sometimes this would happen mid-driving. Which is obviously frustrating.

If you're having trouble believing this... Just try to get a hold of them before you order and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not one to usually complain, but th fact that this company is still allowed to sell any product is mind-boggling. They're AWFUL.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 PM
TheSkyIsUp
1st Gear
My review of them is good news so far.

Upon taking off my old headlights, one of the brackets back nuts broke and the bolt was spinning freely, on both headlights and the same bolt, so I had to do some modifying (cut one of the brackets). Needless to say, the headlights needed some fiddling with to get them in the proper position, but are overall secure and look perfect, even with missing a bracket on each headlight. This was in no way the Spec-D's headlights fault though, so no blame to them.

The highbeams do NOT stay on when the bar is pushed forward, however the highbeams kind of suck anyway, and the headlights are perfectly fine for me (I drive on backroads with no street lights and they light up perfectly).

Wiring them up was a little odd, and I might try and splice the halo and LED into the parking lights, aswell as the headlight, although I usually just keep my headlights on all the time.

I have yet to adjust them, and cant exactly find how to get that adjustment bolt to move, as there isnt much room, and I am not sure what can actually get ahold of it to grab and turn it, so if anyone has any tips that would be awesome.

Overall, at first glance i would give these headlights a good 6.5/10. They look amazing, and are fairly simple to install but the highbeam issue should be resolved.

Attached Thumbnails Spec-D Headlights with Projectors & Halos... some pics and info-11003942_741715739283308_796473487_n.jpg   Spec-D Headlights with Projectors & Halos... some pics and info-11026634_741715679283314_96894920_n.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 AM
andrecardoso
1st Gear
Hello,

Pardon my english first of all

Just wanted to share my experience so far with the spec-d headlights.
I live in Portugal, and I ordered a pair of these headlights in a Portuguese On-line store. They arrived and I was thrilled with them!

The installation was easy (though I had a common problem with a bolt rotating freely with my stock halogens, but that has nothing to do with Spec-d). Well I got them installed and as said earlier on this post, first thing is to align the headlights with the hood. Then start to align the lens with the 2 screws provided. I must say my headlights are a little different from the ones you guys presented here (don't know if Spec-D improved them, like a "newer version" or something). Why? Because my headlights have the two horizontal and vertical screws both on the top of the headlight - i can easily adjust them with a normal screwdriver and without having to make any kind of weird hand/arm movements
Well, i got them aligned and I have to say I really enjoy my beam pattern - the first time was a little tricky to get them adjusted, but then it got really simple and easy to make small adjustments. Attention (It's not mentioned anywhere the post i think) but the pattern is a European beam pattern - not the american beam pattern - so i always have two "kicks" in the right side of the beam (to illuminate the road signs, since in Portugal we drive on the right side of the road).

I got the headlights with hallogens, but two days latter I installed HID 6.000K Slim. Sometimes I have the Bulb out error and other times I don't (doesn't bother me anyway).

I do have highbeams!!! It's odd because when I turn on the headlights sometimes the highbeams do not "appear" (the solenoid doesn't go up) but it's only like a few seconds when I turn the headlights on - when I'm driving for a while I always have them (when I push and when I pull the handle near the driving wheel) - I never had that reported problem with all the lights going out when pushing the handle foward!

I DO NOT have the halos and leds installed because I don't like them (it looks bad and "ricer" in my opinion). I got the Spec-D because I really like the dark headlights and because I really wanted a projector headlights to fit and HID system! (I hate HID on non-projector headlights)

I am really happy with them.. just wanted to share my experience (because I had read so many depreciative comments in this topic. As I said before, I really don't know if this ones are a newer version of the older ones, but I am really comfortable with them

Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 AM
user 837978240
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you post photos of low beams and high beams?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
andrecardoso
1st Gear
Yes I can.

As you can picture from the first image, the headlights are dirty, and it affects the beam pattern a bit (that's why it's so important to have the headlight washers)

I do have a small detail that I'll try to solve later - the H9 HID have a sort of long piece in the bulb that makes a vertical shadow on the floor light pattern - doesn't bug me that much, but maybe if I can turn the bulb on its fixture it will go away... any suggestions?
If i use a normal halogen bulb I wont have this shadow of course.

This is the piece that Hid have to "feed" the bulb on the "top":
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-111617472...t-bulbs-12.jpg

Hids ON and headlight all dirty:

The road on the next pictures is angled!! So it's not that horizontal

Hightbeams on:

Normal beam pattern looking from outside the car:

Normal beam pattern looking from intside the car:

The left "kick" on a coutryman's tail as i was turning the car:

Both the "kicks" and beam pattern overall (you can see a little glare where the two patterns meet.. you only notice it when driving really close to the other car's bumper... still, if i clean the headlights properly it will even disappear more.

Overall I am pretty pleased with them... And I do think the beam pattern is 7/10 for the price of the headlights. I can adjust the two kicks to make a "one kick only"... like this: ______/|__
But I prefer to have the pattern a little bit more opened on the sides of the road.

*I adjusted the headlights on a lower position so that I wont bother oncoming traffic.... maybe if the are perfectly tuned and a little bit higher, the beam pattern will be even better.

I will try to take other pictures when i wash the car and in another wall.

What do u guys think?

Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM
moddedMKV
Neutral
Spec D projector headlights

I bought the spec d project headlights and they worked all nice and fine and all a sudden a month or two later the driver side light wouldn't come on unless I was driving for a little bit and then when it came on it was not as bright as the other side and it gets realy dim to the point u can't see it while you drive can someone please help me out with what is going on haha

Old 09-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by keduMINI
Go to theretrofitsource.com (well-written, descriptive, and professional site) all of the pricing is there. All of the generic electronics sent with Spec-D HID headlights were replaced (this was likely not necessary), but I wanted reliable components. I ordered the Spec-D HID kit, not the less expensive halogen projector kit so that the all of the necessary wires (high beam connector, high beam resistor) were included with the harness. The total cost of parts was about $300. Would have been less had I not purchased redundant equipment (bulbs (H7 then H1) and warning cancelers). Notably, electronic components cannot be returned. Actual price may have been $240-250

ALL of the wiring and resistors for LEDs for halos are accessible inside and are easily manipulated.

I recommend that you use a plug-in harness, rather than the blue splice clamps, to attach the wiring from your halo LEDs to your parking lights. This makes removal of your lights much easier.
Hi keduMINI, Can you recommend the plug-in harness to use to connect the LED lights to the city lights?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Reviving an old thread, I just purchased a set of the Spec D projectors and installed them last week. Reading back on this thread it's obvious the vendor/manufacturer has done a really poor job of providing instructions for these. The so-called 4mm adjustment screw isn't the primary means of adjusting the lights, that's what the two phillips head screws on the housing are for. The long bolt with the 4mm hex end can be used if the others can't achieve the desired aim but that's unlikely.

Other than that, I've found them to be adequate and certainly better than the OEM reflector/halogen headlights but I'll still be replacing the bulbs with HIDs soon. Protuning.com does offer the same headlights already retrofitted with HIDs but I made a poor assumption that the seemingly identical units on Amazon were also HID and was wrong.

I'm also hoping that I can use H4 bulbs instead of H11 so I can have high beams but waiting for a response from headlightexperts.com to find out for sure. I still need to wire up the LED halos but aesthetically, they already look better than stock.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Well, I ended up sending them back. Didn't like the lack of a high beam and found what I believe is a better product - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2012-M...72.m2749.l2649

The high beam works and the LED corona makes a nice DDL although like the Spec D, you'll have to wire them up yourself.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM
jpgwinn24
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pdeinc
Well, I ended up sending them back. Didn't like the lack of a high beam and found what I believe is a better product - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2012-M...72.m2749.l2649

The high beam works and the LED corona makes a nice DDL although like the Spec D, you'll have to wire them up yourself.
What did you end up doing in regards to wiring the DRLs? I just got them and can't decide what I want to do.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jpgwinn24
What did you end up doing in regards to wiring the DRLs? I just got them and can't decide what I want to do.
I connected them to the side marker lights. Those wires are close enough to splice into. Now I need to find someone with the Carly app to change my DDL from low beam headlights to fog lights.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 PM
keduMINI
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
After nearly a decade, new Spec-D retrofit

After nearly a decade, it was time to change the originally installed Spec-D lights with an upgrade (Spec-D again). T​​​​​he old lights developed hairline cracks and rock dings that were visible to me, not others, unless I highlighted them. Incidentally, the lenses never yellowed or got cloudy. I again bought the Spec-D projector lights because the clear turn sign lens with the chrome-coated amber bulb looks fantastic. The retrofit LED projectors have a great cutoff line and cast light better than the HIDs I ran for years before. Yes, it cost a bit for the bulbs, halos, Xchrome controller, relays, RGB connectors, and time (oven baking lights, bracket redesign, halo mounting, soldering, etc.), but it turned out nice in the end. Subtle accent without looking gaudy. The camera overexposure does not provide justice to the real look.

Analogous to the description in the original post, all of the electricals were removed from the Spec-D light including the cheap halo rings. Fan cooled Morimoto LEDs projectors were were installed along with the following. Xchrome bluetooth controller setting the hue of the Profile Prism RGB halos to amber...

...to red

...to blue plus a million other color possibilities. I settled legally on amber, although I see some cowboys running blue projector lights without gaining the attention of the PoPo's. Maybe one day I will match the lights to my blue exterior.

Last edited by keduMINI; 05-20-2021 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 AM
s.tan888
Neutral
Hey keduMINI, I just got these headlights and the brightness of the halos from factory are just not cutting it for me. What size were the halos you ordered?

Quick Reply: Electrical Spec-D Headlights with Projectors & Halos... some pics and info