Electrical Moving the Microphone

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moving the Microphone

You may not think this is important, but once you've done it you'll be surprised a the difference it makes. Here is a link for a video for how to move the Microphone for the car so that it is on the Left(American) side instead of the stock Right(English) side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLQR8sYfqQ

If you have trouble with doing the way it shows on the video. Don't cut, Don't cut!! If you are short on wire.....After you take the first cover off....The main panel that is left can be removed very easily. It is two screws(Torx) and six tabs around the outside rim. After you pull this off there will be two wire harnesses holding it in place. If you want to disconnect feel free if not, leave it in. The wire for the mic can then be pulled over to the other side completely and you will be good to go. If not......it is bundled with these other harnesses, and if needed you can remove some of the bundling material to give yourself some more play. Good luck!

On a side note.... this is also how you access the map lights if you wanted to change them out to LEDS. Just remove the four screws on the back of the switch panel and take the twist lock sockets out and replace all.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoffrey....

Do you have a list of all the LEDs you used to replace the interior and exterior lights? I am going to try and replace the interior light but don't know how many and what kind of socket types to order?

A little off topic but WTH.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattmed03
Do you have a list of all the LEDs you used to replace the interior and exterior lights? I am going to try and replace the interior light but don't know how many and what kind of socket types to order?

A little off topic but WTH.
I started a thread specifically about LEDS

Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
mattmed03
2nd Gear
Moved the microphone..

took 10 minutes at the most...i did have to remove the screws on the inner bracket to feed the wire thru the opposite side...not a big deal at all. The wire in mine was extremely short as will . i recommend using something broad (i used a putty knife) as opposed to a screw driver to pry off the first plastic piece. I used a driver in my Clubbie when i did this and irreversibly "dented" the headliner. Wasnt a big deal but was noticeable to me.

The difference is more noticeable in the voice instruction. i havent had to repeat a voice intruction yet since i switched the microphone side. Do it...it is easy and especially useful/helpful.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 AM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattmed03
took 10 minutes at the most...i did have to remove the screws on the inner bracket to feed the wire thru the opposite side...not a big deal at all. The wire in mine was extremely short as will . i recommend using something broad (i used a putty knife) as opposed to a screw driver to pry off the first plastic piece. I used a driver in my Clubbie when i did this and irreversibly "dented" the headliner. Wasnt a big deal but was noticeable to me.

The difference is more noticeable in the voice instruction. i havent had to repeat a voice intruction yet since i switched the microphone side. Do it...it is easy and especially useful/helpful.

That's good to know when I order mine with Bluetooth.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I moved the mic Saturday. Wires were so short I had to take off the bracket and the clip that held the wire bundle. After that it was a snap. Shouldn't take any more than ten minutes. Most time was getting the correct torx size and removing the clip. The clip comes off easy if you slide it toward the front.

Bill

Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Longley01
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Miniblue2
The clip comes off easy if you slide it toward the front.
Bill,
Thanks for posting this. I too ran into the short wire issue. I was concerned about rattling/buzzing that might occur if the clip were removed.

Thoughts?

Longley

Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM
MacMitch
2nd Gear
I moved the speakers on both my new Countryman and my wife's new MCS.

Yes, at first the wires seemed too short. The reason I had trouble was I tried feeding the wires through the most obvious hole, also the easiest to reach. Then I risked jamming the wires straight up above the entire plastic housing
and used a paint can opener to fish them along above the housing until I got them to the other side. I did not have to take the housing off on either car. This method gave me another inch or so of wire length which is all one needs.

Once the wires are routed via the shortest path they fit fine on both cars.

Another note. The small plastic connector on the little speaker box does not like to turn loose. A little pressure on the protruding tab, some wiggling and elbow grease finally got them out.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Chocolatemonkey
1st Gear
Just moved it, it was a tad bit short but it still reached.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
creep
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just moved my microphone on my CM. My wire wouldn't reach using the obvious opening, so I used MacMitch's method where I pushed the wire straight up through the opening it comes from and then fished it down through the other opening.

Last edited by creep; 10-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Hobie44610
3rd Gear
Swapped the mic a few months back. Piece of cake however the mic wire was way to short. Removed some wrapping tape from the harness inside the headliner. That provided just enough slack to make it work perfectly.

Also, what MatMed said, use a putty knife to remove the plastic cap piece. I used a 1 1/2" nylon putty knife and worked around the piece prying it without any damage whatsoever.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pointed my local dealer service department at the video and asked that they move the microphone before delivery. They had no idea about the right-side installation. Phone communications have been fine since.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:58 PM
markbriggs1
1st Gear
I love you guys

This is why I love the internet and forums! I did not even know that this was an issue but I had thought previously that the mic seemed a little ordinary.

Sat reading this thread with my coffee this morning, all your input and videos and set about changing it over - why not? 15 minute job, and voila! I'd say a 20 to 30% improvement in pickup quality. I left myself a voicemail at home using my iphone on the car moving my head from the drivers side ( where the mic was relocated) to the passenger side and the clarity delta was quite remarkable.

Thanks guys! I love being part of the "village" ( even if I am the idiot) and I love my Countryman. I will post an update on my trouble free 6000 miles in another thread to pay if forwards. Cheers!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Just tried to move the mic in my 2012 CMS, and had to retreat. I got the cover off fine, popped out the mic, but for the life of me I could not disconnect the wiring from the mic. I tried pressing on the little tab with a knitting needle white pulling, but no dice. That thing is ON there. Am I missing something, or do I just need a third hand? I'm afraid I'm going to break it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind! My husband came out and popped it off like it was nothing with his man hands. Apparently it can take a lot more abuse than I thought. We had to take the whole head unit out to move the wire over because it was so short--thankfully he had the right bit for it. But the mic is on the left and so far seems to be working much better. Not that it was bad before, but it's now registering words that it wouldn't before, like "Home" and "Yes."

Last edited by AnnArrogance; 12-29-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Forgive this cross-post:

An interesting update...

I received a message from a contact in the UK. His microphone is mounted on the LEFT side of the upper console! So it appears that MINI's "forbidden" microphone move may have indeed been broadcast from the Mother Ship.

I don't care, though. I'm keeping mine of the left!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Kosmo
1st Gear
FYI it's a T20 torx

Cheers

Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kosmo
FYI it's a T20 torx

Cheers

For what? The video that is shown doesn't show the need for a torx tool...what am I missing?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
For what? The video that is shown doesn't show the need for a torx tool...what am I missing?
From the original post:

If you are short on wire.....After you take the first cover off....The main panel that is left can be removed very easily. It is two screws(Torx) and six tabs around the outside rim. After you pull this off there will be two wire harnesses holding it in place.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
From the original post:
Ahhh...copy that.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Ahhh...copy that.
No worries. I had to go back an re-read it myself! Going to try this on my car this weekend.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I did my microphone this morning in the parking lot at my office.

Car is a 2012 S All4.

I did not need a torx. I simply poked the wire up into the hole through which it came and then fished it back out through the lower hole on the other side with my MINI logo pen from the dealership and the use of various other holes to poke it around to where I wanted it.

There was enough wire to get it installed without removing the harness clips or second cover.

Be careful if you plan to stick your finger in the second cover's holes. There are some sharp edges as evidenced by the flesh wounds on my index fingers.

I wish I had used the pen to fish before using my fingers.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by y8s
I did my microphone this morning in the parking lot at my office.

Car is a 2012 S All4.

I did not need a torx. I simply poked the wire up into the hole through which it came and then fished it back out through the lower hole on the other side with my MINI logo pen from the dealership and the use of various other holes to poke it around to where I wanted it.

There was enough wire to get it installed without removing the harness clips or second cover.

Be careful if you plan to stick your finger in the second cover's holes. There are some sharp edges as evidenced by the flesh wounds on my index fingers.

I wish I had used the pen to fish before using my fingers.
Same here. Took me but a couple of minutes. Used a putty knife to get the housing off and a screwdriver to help me wind it through the housing. Works like a charm.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Same here. Took me but a couple of minutes. Used a putty knife to get the housing off and a screwdriver to help me wind it through the housing. Works like a charm.
I just completed this as well in about 5 minutes or less. I found it easy to push the harness back up into the housing and then use a screwdriver as stated above and pulled it through. Voila! Done.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
moved mine, but i also find the dash air vent seems to bother the mic quite a bit, there really is no solution to that other than to sweat while using the phone, is there? - cant seem to find a setting on my A/c that kills that vent completely.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eaglebeagle
moved mine, but i also find the dash air vent seems to bother the mic quite a bit, there really is no solution to that other than to sweat while using the phone, is there? - cant seem to find a setting on my A/c that kills that vent completely.
Just did mine! Thank you to the OP for posting the video. It was very easy after I watched it to figure out what I needed to do. It should be interesting to see if there's an improvement, because up until now, the handsfree has been pretty useless.

I did find it helped to turn down the A/C fan, but it still wasn't great. Hopefully, this will help!!

Quick Reply: Electrical Moving the Microphone