Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Shark Fin Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shark Fin Anyone?

Hi folks,

I know a lot of you are big into the short stub antennas (which I think look stupid, thats just my two two ¢). I've been looking around and found a company out of BC who makes Shark Fin Antennas. I emailed them earlier and am waiting for a response. They fit over stock antenna mounts (held in place via 3M tape and are completely functional. They color match them to whatever color desired so they would look OEM. Only downside would be cost as it looks like you'd probably spend upwards of $70+ (not an actual quote)... I just wanted to get a headcount to see how many of you would be interested in losing the horse whip or stubby?

Here's the site if anybody wants a looksie:

http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html

Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I like my Shark fin, dont see too many of them around these days on R 53s

Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
I currently have a shark fin cover and no antenna. I would definitely be interested one of these

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
When I contacted them - they said they did not have a product for the MINI -- I believe they said the MINI base was too large.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear
Dank, just checked my email and that seemed to be the response I got as well.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your inquiry!

We currently don't have a model that fits the Mini Cooper perfectly. There are a few issues with the Mini Cooper. If it has a panoramic sunroof we won't be able to fit the sharkfin on because there isn't enough space to mount it. The second issue is with the rear hatch when it is fully opened. I believe there are two different sized antenna bases: larger (~3-4" long) and smaller (~2") one. If you have the smaller sized antenna base (and no panoramic sunroof), the opened hatch will touch the tip of the sharkfin slightly. If you have a spoiler installed, you will not be able to mount our sharkfin as the spoiler will be in the way. If you have the larger sized antenna base for the Mini (the one that is ~3" length) you will have fitment issues placing the sharkfin on top of the base, regardless if you have the sunroof or not.

Because of this touching issue, we leave it up to the customer to decide whether or not they want to go ahead with it. We have had customers purchase it and the slight touching does not bother them (but they must have the combination of smaller sized antenna base and no panoramic sunroof).

If you have any other questions, please feel to ask!

Regards,

Arthur
So sorry to give everyone some hope

Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a question on this subject for all who have responded.

But First

I agree the antenna on the MINI is a little strange looking but I for one embrace it just as many of us embrace that the entire car is different.

I will also say that I personally do not like the "shorty" antennas but that is just my opinion.

Also I run a Duck on my OEM antenna and change it for the different holidays and seasons. Right now is is a black and white duck with a green and white striped scarf for winter but on valentines day it was a yellow duck with a valentine heart, and at Christmas it was a duck dressed as Santa.

I am just curious and you all can think what you think. That is what make us all as different as our cars.

So here is the question.

Why would you want to put something on your car that makes it look like so many other cars?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have a question on this subject for all who have responded.

But First

I agree the antenna on the MINI is a little strange looking but I for one embrace it just as many of us embrace that the entire car is different.

I will also say that I personally do not like the "shorty" antennas but that is just my opinion.

Also I run a Duck on my OEM antenna and change it for the different holidays and seasons. Right now is is a black and white duck with a green and white striped scarf for winter but on valentines day it was a yellow duck with a valentine heart, and at Christmas it was a duck dressed as Santa.

I am just curious and you all can think what you think. That is what make us all as different as our cars.

So here is the question.

Why would you want to put something on your car that makes it look like so many other cars?

MINI calls it "you-ification" From beginning to end the MINI culture encourages modifications/changes - We all have different taste, what is terrific for one maybe lousy for the next.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
MINI calls it "you-ification" From beginning to end the MINI culture encourages modifications/changes - We all have different taste, what is terrific for one maybe lousy for the next.
I agree with and understand the "you-ification" but I am not sure why anyone would want to make it look more like a Camry, Altima, and so many of the other cars out there?

And if anyone comes up with an answer I would not argue with it, I'm just curious why?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
I agree with and understand the "you-ification" but I am not sure why anyone would want to make it look more like a Camry, Altima, and so many of the other cars out there?

And if anyone comes up with an answer I would not argue with it, I'm just curious why?

Is not the answer " We all have different taste, what is terrific for one maybe lousy for the next" ?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Just because it's so common on other car's doesn't make it common on a MINI.

If the same argument is applied to everything, you'd have to ask why have wheels - so many other cars have wheels....

If the owner likes it, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Craig

Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Is not the answer " We all have different taste, what is terrific for one maybe lousy for the next" ?
YES I AGREE WITH THAT but again I have not heard an answer to the question I have asked. All I am hearing out of you is we all have different tastes. I ALREADY KNOW THAT. I am asking for the deeper reasons as to why. If you can not answer that do not bother responding.

Originally Posted by cmcveay
Just because it's so common on other car's doesn't make it common on a MINI.
Very true

If the same argument is applied to everything, you'd have to ask why have wheels - so many other cars have wheels....
Again Very True, but again you have not answered the question I asked.

If the owner likes it, that's all that matters at the end of the day.
Again I fully agree that if the owner likes it but again you have not answer the question I asked.

Again now for the third time i will ask the question and would appreciate it that those who just want to say "because" not respond. I would like to hear the deeper reason IF there is one.

So her the question is again. Why would you want a sharks fin antenna?

AND BTW if you just remove the antenna mast the one on the car is pretty close to one anyway.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$69 for that shark fin overlay... no thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear

So her the question is again. Why would you want a sharks fin antenna?

AND BTW if you just remove the antenna mast the one on the car is pretty close to one anyway.
(Not trying to come off like a deek but) My reason, simple: Because its mine and I can (I know F for individualism). I dont want a foot long whip stuck to my roof, it looks tacky. The stubbys make it look even worse (no offense to those that have them). I really dont care what Toyota or Nissan or anyone else sticks to their roof and calls an antenna. I just think it looks sleeker than what Mini came up with to save five bucks. And as for just removing it and just running the base, I did mention functional. I do like to jam out to that AM radio every once in a while.

Originally Posted by onefish2
$69 for that shark fin overlay... no thanks
As for the price, I agree a bit on the redic side but then again we all know plenty of people who'll blow that much on things like boost tubes, stubby antennas or badges (I'm guilty too ).

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Canvasmonkey
(Not trying to come off like a deek but) My reason, simple: Because its mine and I can (I know F for individualism). I dont want a foot long whip stuck to my roof, it looks tacky. The stubbys make it look even worse (no offense to those that have them). I really dont care what Toyota or Nissan or anyone else sticks to their roof and calls an antenna. I just think it looks sleeker than what Mini came up with to save five bucks. And as for just removing it and just running the base, I did mention functional. I do like to jam out to that AM radio every once in a while.
Thanks, Now that is the kind of answer I have been looking for.

As for the real antenna, I have removed my OEM whip at times and where I live I get just as many AM stations as I do with it, but then again we only get three AM station. This of course may not be the case where you live but might be worth a try if you have not already done so.

The antenna system on the MINI also has an antenna in the drivers side window which works with the Roof Antenna in a diversity mode so which ever is picking up the best signal is the one that is used.

If I may disagree with you, IMHO the long OEM does not look to bad but I will agree with you that the shorties look much worse.

Good luck with your endeavor to complete this mod.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Sometimes I think people post here just to see their words in print. Who really gives a damn *why* someone would mount a shark-fin or not?

"Why would you want to put something on your car that makes it look like so many other cars?"

Who cares? Just sit back and enjoy dressing up your duck - it's a cheap and easy way to show the world what the term "Rebel without a cause" really means...

Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think "you-ification" requires justification. You like what you like - who cares why!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on guys! don't get bent out of shape over an antenna . . .

I got some good info in this thread. I listen more to AM than FM so I always thought I needed that whip to pick up those stations. I get such a loud hum under powerlines on AM in both my mini's. Maybe I will try to remove it since it hits the garage door so hard. On the other hand, these cars are small, like an RC car, so I actually like that look. Gives the car character IMO.

Hey Canvasmonkey! Is that the corkscrew? Nice!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The reception in my R53's HK system is soooo bad on both AM/FM bands I have considered hanging a tin foil duck on my antenna.....

Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
lotsie
Banned
Mine snapped off at the base, so now just the nut and threads are showing. I never listen to the radio, just the iPod, or exhaust/intake, depending on my mood. A new base is about $45, and maybe an hour of my time to replace.

I think I'm just going to find a rubber crutch tip that fits, dab of silicone, and be done with it. Until it's time for a roof repaint, and lose the whole thing.

Why do I like it this way, because I do

Mark

Old 04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Twister60
1st Gear
I've got the shark fin but Im considering the antennae delete plate, its the cleanest looking option.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
I unscrewed my whip antenna and drove around L.A. to see if it made a difference. In the hilly terrain around here you get marginal performance on a good day so I expected weaker performance. But guess what. You know that annoying AC hum you get when you pass under power lines or get near a neon or florescent light while listening to AM? It is nearly gone when you remove the whip and you still hear the AM station clearly. I can tell the level is down a bit so if you like to listen to weaker stations it may not work. FM does not appear to be affected at all. For me the whip stays off!

UPDATE After driving like that for a week I found the very hottest spots with AC hum are still there, just much weaker. It still wipes out 90% of them so now that has me thinking about a stubby since I am sure those don't do a thing. There seems to be two of them on the market. Streetune and Vision. The carbonfiber on the streetune appears to be a looser weave so you can tell what it is from further away, the Vision comes in more colors. The blue one is growing on me. Anyone try either of these? Are there any more that I missed?

Last edited by smoke05S; 05-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
bagwell
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So here is the question.

no the regular antenna is not strange -- many many many cars have the same long ugly antenna....2004-2009 Prius, Scion tC, Corolla, Jetta, slk280/350, 1st gen mazda3, mazda6, and many more!!!!!

the stubby is setting our mini's apart!! mine is 3.5" long and reception is still pretty good.
http://www.stubbyantenna.com/detail1...ni_Cooper_2007

much better looking than this 15" whip.....but to each their own.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-29-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Well I did it. I got the stubby. It's blue anodized at the base and tip with a carbon fiber body. And the performance is right between the stock antenna and nothing just as I figured it would. Pic to follow tomorrow.

As far as the long antenna goes, I saved one from my 1994 BMW325ic and it is exactly the same as the 2009 JCW antenna so this part has been around a long time. The long one doesn't bother me as far as looks go, its just too sensitive to power lines. rather than having nothing I chose a stubby.

Last edited by smoke05S; 06-11-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 PM
blitzcat
2nd Gear
I had a very similar, if not exactly the same stubby on my last car. I recommend taking it off and putting anti-seize on the threads. Mine cold welded on, so when I removed it, it removed the threads from the antenna amplifier.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
I used NoALox from the get go.

Attached Thumbnails Shark Fin Anyone?-dsc01458.jpg   Shark Fin Anyone?-dsc01460.jpg   Shark Fin Anyone?-dsc01461.jpg  

Last edited by smoke05S; 05-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Shark Fin Anyone?