Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Adding Auto Headlights - Convenience Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Auto Headlights - Convenience Pkg

I've been looking around on the net for sometime trying to figure out if adding the auto headlights to a R53 that doesn't have the convenience package is possible. I haven't been able to find much information on what module is controlling this feature and whether the sensors can be added. Does anyone have information on this module or have any idea of a modification that can be done to get this working?
I have found after market auto headlight devices, but the mini is pretty much digital in the sense that everything is controlled not by on/off switches, but rather codes that are sent back and forth from the computer.
Any help would be appreciated.

-cliff

Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
minjae
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i read somewhere around here that the auto headlights is a feature that's programmed into the ecu or something?
don't take my word on it. but it's something complicated like that and it's probably something to give up on?

hopefully someone else can chime in and inform us all
(cause i love this feature on the loaners i've been driving..don't have to worry about turning off the headlights!! convenient indeed..)

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
On the MINI, the auto headlights feature is combined with auto wipers. They both use the same sensor module on the windshield. I don't leave my headlights in auto mode because they turn on more often than I want. The auto headlights may turn on when it is surprisingly bright outside. I do like the auto wipers. They are nice having when rain conditions keep changing. I'd want auto wipers on any MINI because their manual intermittent wipers don't have adjustable control (pretty shocking actually).

To retrofit the OEM system, you'd need at minimum:
  • The sensor box that attaches to the windshield near the rearview mirror.
  • A new windshield (the auto headlight/wiper version). At least that's what MINI would do, or a knowledgeable independent shop may know how to retrofit onto a standard windshield
  • New steering wheel stalks with the auto controls
  • The features enabled through programming.
  • If cars are not prewired for connecting to the sensor, you'll need to add a wiring harness

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
minjae
6th Gear
definitely something to give up on if you're not willing to spend the time and money to do all of that..

thanks for the insight rkw! thinking now, that is wat i read..forgot (obviously )

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Is there really a different headlight switch on the left side? Does that mean there are 4 positions. Off/tail light-side lights/On/Auto? Or is it just in the On position and the auto lights automatically handle themselves?
I bought the two switches/stalks for my steering wheel column because I added the OEM alarm and wanted the red light indicator on the switch, and I added the Tach that has the LCD - so I added the left stalk that has the button so I can rotate through the options. I do have the navigation system, but it was annoying to have to go through the settings on the screen to display how much gas I had left, ect. I also added the rear view mirror that has the homelink buttons on it, and that mirror has sensors on it for what I can only assume is the auto wipers, or headlights..
After all that has been said, are you suggesting all I have to do is get the car reprogrammed to add the functionality?
Is there no other added components to the system?
Thanks for all the help and info..

cliff

Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Diezzler
Is there really a different headlight switch on the left side? Does that mean there are 4 positions. Off/tail light-side lights/On/Auto?
Yes, auto headlights uses a different switch with 4 positions. However it turns out auto wipers uses the same switch (intermittent and auto use the same position).

After all that has been said, are you suggesting all I have to do is get the car reprogrammed to add the functionality? Is there no other added components to the system?
As I said earlier, you'll also need the sensor box on the windshield, possibly a new windshield, and possibly an additional wiring harness, in addition to the headlight switch and programming.

BTW, I believe that auto headlights is combined with auto wipers (you can't get one without the other).

Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI WDS says :-

Rain/driving light sensor (RLS)

Function (rain sensor)

The rain/driving light sensor senses water or dirt on the windscreen and activates the windscreen wipers accordingly.
The RLS consists of an optical element bonded on the windscreen, to which an electronic evaluator is connected.
The system is active as of ignition lock position 1. The wiper/washer switch must be set to the first stage (intermittent wipe setting).
The wiper motor is activated by the general module. The electronic evaluator sends the activation command to the wiper motor via the K-bus to the general module.

Optical element

The optical element is adhered to the windscreen behind the rear-view mirror. It consists of a glass body (prism) which routes the beams emitted by infrared diodes at a defined angle to the windscreen. The light beams reflected by the windscreen are routed by the optical element to the infrared receivers.
The optical element is heated by a heating element to ensure condensation cannot form on it.
The optical element is bonded together with the windscreen in a special process such as to guarantee the physical properties of the system. This bonding process cannot be carried out in the workshop. This means that when the windscreen is replaced a special windscreen with the optical element already bonded to it must be used.

Electronic evaluator

The electronic evaluator is connected to the optical element by means of a catch mechanism.
It contains the electronic components as well as the infrared diodes and infrared receivers.
The activation command for the wiper motor is given via the K-bus interface.
Functional principle

Water on the windscreen is detected on the basis of the reflection of infrared beams.

When the windscreen is dry, all of the beams sent out by the infrared diodes ”S” that hit the windscreen with a defined angle are fully reflected by the windscreen and thus reach the infrared receiver ”E” in full.

A proportion of these beams is deflected by a drop of water on the windscreen (in the area of the infrared diodes). These beams no longer reach the infrared receiver ”E”.
Depending on the amount of light in the infrared beams that reach the receiver, the degree of wetness (or soiling) is determined and, if applicable, an activation command is sent across the K bus to the general module BC1 to the wiper motor.
Operation

To switch on the rain sensor, the wiper/washer switch must be moved up to the first stage (intermittent wipe) and the ignition lock must be switched to position 1 or 2.
The RLS then controls the wipe intervals. If the windscreen is constantly wet (steady rain), the system activates continuous wiping in stage 1.
The wiper stage 2 can still only be set by way of the wiper switch (third stage).
If terminal R is switched off and on when the wiper switch is set to intermittent wipe, the RLS function remains off. It is not activated before intermittent wipe mode is switched off and on.
Operating conditions

The following conditions are necessary to ensure trouble-free operation of the rain sensor:
  • The windscreen must not be damaged (stone chips, scratches) or must not be heavily soiled (finger marks, streaks, wax film) in the area of the rain sensor.
  • The wiper blades must wipe the windscreen dry without streaks.
To ensure trouble-free operation, the windscreen should be cleaned regularly with a suitable wax-removing cleaning agent. The wiper blades should be replaced regularly.
Initialisation

The reflection characteristics of the windscreen depend on a large number of factors. In addition, these characteristics also change as the windscreen ages.
During the initial wipe cycles, a new electronic evaluator determines the degree of reflection of the windscreen and stores this data in its non-volatile memory. From this point on, this data is constantly adapted to the windscreen which is subject to a certain degree of ageing over the course of time.
The stored adaptation values can be deleted with the diagnostic program (service functions). Renewed adaptation (initialisation) to the windscreen can then be carried out.
The initialisation procedure is described in the program sequence.
Initialisation is necessary:
  • After replacing the windscreen
  • When a used electronic evaluator is installed in a vehicle
Driving light sensor

The driving light sensor consists of two photodiodes and an electronic evaluation unit. The photodiodes are arranged in such a way that both light striking the sensor from the front and light striking the sensor from above (ambient light) are sensed.
If there is a change in the light conditions, a signal is sent across the K bus. When the Automatic Light Control is switched on, the general module switches the low-beam headlight on or off.
The light sensing is active as of terminal R, independent of whether the automatic driving light system is switched on or off.
The driving light sensor is adapted to the windscreen via coding. This is why a used sensor must be recoded on installation!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Circuit here :-

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0000015918.htm

need svg viewer to see correctly.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:54 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Parts here :-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=15&hl=1

so.............................

looks like to get just the auto lights would need a rain/light sensor fitting, then wriring up to the BCU and coding/calibarating to the windscreen and change the column stalk.
Not a huge job depending on whether a new windscreen would be needed.
Might as well get the auto wipers function added at the same time............

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Que_Packinwood
Neutral
Has anyone attempted or completed this retrofit. Definitely something I'd be interested in and worth the money (turn signal stalk with alarm, BC, and auto headlights runs about $125, glass company will order and install a new windsheild with the rain sensor module for whatever your insurance deductible is). Those are the major components. Coding should not be an issue if you are in good with your local dealer/service department. Does anyone know if the wiring harness to the connect the rain sensor is prewired in the car? Thinking that may be a major obstacle if it isn't and could kill the entire project.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
I recently changed my headlight stalk switch to the auto headlight one with the button for the computer because I have the nav with dual cluster gauges, but wanted the one from the chrono package that had the dual LCDs that also has the computer readout on it. The stalk I order fit right into place and pluged in with no problems, I just haven't figured out how to get the lights on the cluster to function properly to proper indicators (ie: right/left signal, over heating light, service indicator, etc). Anyways, that's besides the point. I also changed my windshield because it was cracked, and had the one installed with the auto sensor in it. They replaced it, but there was nothing to plug the sensor into. So, because I wanted to redo my headliner, I pulled out the top roof to redo the fabric. I was disappointed when I noticed that there was no harness in the roof for the sonsor. I have a 2004 r53, and am unsure if it just my car that doesn't have the harness of if it is the year, or if they excluded it because I didn't have the convenience package. Either way, I don't have a plug for the sensor for the auto dimming rear view mirror with the light sensor, nor the windshield sensor. Hope that helps a little. Also, if anyone has any insight into programming the center nav dash module to match the indicators on my chrono package gauges, I would really appreciate it. From what I hear, the center dash module is programmer to match the corresponding gauge unit, and you can replace a unit with the same type and program it, but you can't take one from a different "package type" and program it properly.
I've pretty much upgraded to every package in my car, and if u need any help, your welcome to PM me.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Que_Packinwood
Neutral
I have a '08 MCS Cabrio (R52). I recently swapped out the manual rearview mirror with the Auto Dimming, Homelink (UGDO) mirror and it was a very simply plug-and-play swap. The wiring harness was already there. Guess I need to pull the dome light assembly out and see if the rain sensor wiring harness is there as well. Would be sweet if it were. Hmmmm.... Weekend Project

Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
From what I have gathered from this forum and other's, is that the 2005 and above models have the auto dimming harness already prewired and they also have the door puddle lights/harness in the doors. For 01-04, I haven't heard of anyone that has had the harness up there. It's possible, but haven't read anyone on any site say it was there. Sorry to be the pessimists.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Diezzler
1st Gear
After almost two years, I've decided to try and retrofit the auto wipers and headlights (recently cracked my windshield and might as well get the "special windshield"). I bought the left side stalk with the auto headlight position, i believe the replacement windshield comes with the winshield sensor, and i have the software to activate the option. The only scary part is the wiring.

Last year i redid my headliner, and while up there i saw a module right above where the mirror mounts on the ceiling. It had a few wires going into it, but i dont remember if there where any coming back out. If i had to guess what it was, i'd say it was a module for the wireless remote/entry key combo. I did not see any additional wiring harnesses, so I'm assuming i'm either going to have to make one, or buy one from a broken doner car.

There is a skematic a few posts above that shows the sensor module going to a few other modules, but I'm unsure that is complete. Can anyone chim in with a more complete schematic, or even better, has anyone completed/accomplished this retrofit? Does anyone know where those modules are located in the car (the skematic does indicate the wire colors).

Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Diezzler
1st Gear
Actually, having looked up a few things, i believe there are 4 pins/wires that go to the sensor module. Pin 1 is power, which i'll wire into the fuse box for a stock look (f7 is where it supposed to be, it also powers x254** should be a 5A fuse). Pin 2 is ground. pin 3 goes to k-bus. And pin 4 goes somewhere to the general control module. I'm assuming i should be able to find everything under the steering wheel (except for the specific power line i want to tap). I'm assuming the wiper stalk/switch is wired to the general control module, unless it sends commands over k-bus, in which case i'm going to have to hunt for the correct wire in the schematic. Is all of this correct?
Anyone know where i can buy the rain sensor wiring harness and auto dimming mirror harness besides the famous auction site?

Note: after researching more.
X10116 is the kbus located at the joint connector at the right door still.
X254 as stated in another retrofit is a big bundle of wires that plugs into a module at the A-pill (more likely around the module under the panel where the hood release is).
Power can be tapped here too, since the same fuse feeds the same thing.
And ground can be obtained from a bolt in the ceiling.

Parts, as obtained from a bmw retrofit of the rain sensor on another forum (which is the same one used in the mini cooper) - thanks mikeson
abd these are the part number.

# 1 61356923954 K-Bus Rain Sensor
# 1 61138380696 4-Pole plug housing
# 4 61130005197 Contact for plug
# 2 61131387140 Contact for distribution block
# 1 61130007439 Contact for fuse
# 1 61131386626 5 amp fuse

This is minus the auto wiper stock, and special windshield??

Last edited by Diezzler; 06-12-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Actually, having looked up a few things, i believe there are 4 pins/wires that go to the sensor module. Pin 1 is power, which i'll wire into the fuse box for a stock look (f7 is where it supposed to be, it also powers x254** should be a 5A fuse). Pin 2 is ground. pin 3 goes to k-bus. And pin 4 goes somewhere to the general control module. I'm assuming i should be able to find everything under the steering wheel (except for the specific power line i want to tap). I'm assuming the wiper stalk/switch is wired to the general control module, unless it sends commands over k-bus, in which case i'm going to have to hunt for the correct wire in the schematic. Is all of this correct?
Anyone know where i can buy the rain sensor wiring harness and auto dimming mirror harness besides the famous auction site?

Note: after researching more.
X10116 is the kbus located at the joint connector at the right door still.
X254 as stated in another retrofit is a big bundle of wires that plugs into a module at the A-pill (more likely around the module under the panel where the hood release is).
Power can be tapped here too, since the same fuse feeds the same thing.
And ground can be obtained from a bolt in the ceiling.

Parts, as obtained from a bmw retrofit of the rain sensor on another forum (which is the same one used in the mini cooper) - thanks mikeson
abd these are the part number.

# 1 61356923954 K-Bus Rain Sensor
# 1 61138380696 4-Pole plug housing
# 4 61130005197 Contact for plug
# 2 61131387140 Contact for distribution block
# 1 61130007439 Contact for fuse
# 1 61131386626 5 amp fuse

This is minus the auto wiper stock, and special windshield??

Have you had any luck with your installation?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
What is the option in NCSExpert / DIS for coding the auto headlights? I've already got the auto wipers, but on my 03 MCS it does not do the auto headlights.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I have the 04 R53 and I do have the auto wipers. Not headlights. So I guess I will see where this thread goes.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Diezzler
1st Gear
This threads pretty old, but lets see if anyone will still look at it..
I completed the retrofit, but never worked up the nerves to program the options.
Apparently, the auto headlight function was offered on Jan 2005+ mini coopers, and only the auto wiper function alone was on models below that year. I believe the "software" can be upgraded on the mini cooper to reflect the option, but i'm not completely sure how to program the BC1. I do have INPA and will go through a few tutorials in the next week to see if I can backup my options and play around with activating other ones.
If anyone is familiar enough with any of it, please chime in.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Aspen
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
What do all these parts cost? I will be replacing the windshield soon and wonder if I should get the one with the sensor for auto rainsensor.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Banana Plantana
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Auto head lights

Just found this on ebay, has anyone tried?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-ALL-HEADLIGHTS-AUTO-SENSOR-KIT-CONTROL-ON-OFF-ADJUSTABLE-SWITCH-CONTROL-KIT-/290959574345?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACooper%7CSubmodel%3AS&hash=item43be8ac549&vxp=mtr

Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM
rgc0233
2nd Gear
The ebay deal looks like the way to go. I want to add auto-on to my lights and this looks like a much simpler way than all the parts needed for the "stock" system.