Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Sporadic but Severe Speaker Static?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
DeanoTX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sporadic but Severe Speaker Static?

[FONT=Arial]I need to pick yall’s collective brains for a moment, if you don’t mind. I have sporadic, but very severe static in the two larger speakers on both my driver and passenger doors on my 05 MCS with the Harmon Kardon stereo. The static rarely occurs on both the left and right at the same time, and for about a month it was only on the right side, then for a few weeks the left only, then back and forth with no pattern whatsoever. It can disappear for days and then with a sudden POP it returns and fizzles and pops in whichever speaker for as little as 10 sec to 15 minutes. Is almost has the sound of a wire of some sort being loose and making contact with metal and shorting out. The volume is inconsistent, sometimes barely audible, other times very loud, but it is completely independent of whatever the stereo volume is set at that particular moment. In fact, it even occurs when the stereo is completely off!!!? I cant detect even the slightest correlation to the noise stopping and starting to ANYTHING I do in the car. Have yall ever heard of this problem? The stereo is working perfectly aside from the addition of the static, what in the heck could be affecting only those 2 speakers and nothing else? Oh yeah, stereo is completely stock with the exception if the aux input jack that was added about 2 years ago. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thanks in advance,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Dean[/FONT]

Last edited by DeanoTX; 12-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
your H/K amp is going out. my only "solution" to the popping in my front two speakers was to take them out... im very unimpressed with the quality of my "upgraded" stereo. I test drove the mini with the normal radio, and it was horrid, so i figured id get the H/K because i didnt want to deal with an aftermarket radio, and now i need one...

anyway, your static is going to get progressively worse, so be prepared.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
DeanoTX
1st Gear
Crap. Dumb question time... is the amp integrated into the head unit? If so, aybe I can just buy one off of someone who removed the stock H/K and went aftermarket. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
s00perc00per
2nd Gear
Its not attached to the head unit, its in the boot in the right side panel. but if someone replaced the stock head unit they would have to replace the amp as well (in most cases). search the forums a little bit, someone has just put an alpine amp in to replace the h/k and its apparently working. if you do replace your amp with another h/k amp, try mounting it in another location, it might make it last longer.