Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Function of plastic battery box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
EllaJeanLumpkins
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Function of plastic battery box?

I have an 04 Mini. Non S.

I have just replaced the stock battery and it had me wondering about the plastic battery box with a lid that the battery sits in on the drivers side in the engine bay.

Old cars that I've had didn't have such a box, they just a metal tray that the battery sat on and was bolted tight with a fitting that sat over the battery using wing nuts. Yadda yadda yadda.

Does this plastic battery compartment with a lid serve any other purposes besides being a ready made spot to stabilize the battery (I know it still has a metal bracket to hold it in place), and to make the engine bay look nice?

I have searched as many threads as I could find using different search terms such as "battery" (even spelling it incorrectly as Battary), battery compartment, battery console, battery tray, relocating battery, ect. and I didn't find anything during my search that led me to believe this plastic compartment does anything else.

Does is serve as some kind of heat shield as the battery is in the engine bay?

If the battery were not in this box but secured in another way would there be any adverse effects?

I replaced my stock battery with a direct replacement, the same size but I'm thinking about getting a smaller size battery that can still be used in a car that is a daily driver but I don't like the idea of a battery in a compartment possibly sliding around. Second to that, I don't like the idea of securing a smaller battery in that big 'ol compartment and having it look terrible.

Has anyone ever removed this battery compartment? What is underneath it? I haven't been able to find a diagram and I do not currently have a repair manual for the car.

Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated. It's really cold and windy outside so I don't think I can hack taking tools out to my apartment parking lot and taking parts off to find out!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It insulates the battery from the heat from the engine.
Also holds the Engine management ECU.