Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical 05-06 Key Programmed to an 03?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05-06 Key Programmed to an 03?

Well, i'm in kinda of a wierd mood, I have been doing a lot of cheap, unusual mods lately.

I'm wondering, will a 05-06 key mesh with the pre-04 programming? I like the newer key more than the old key. I was thinking of just buying one on eBay and opening it up to see how similar they are.

Anyone ever ask a dealer if they will try and do the programming?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a gray area....the kep has to be synced with the EMS and GCM. They ask for a VIN since they are VIN specific...just like the ECU. If you are real nice they could hook you up. Especially if its to your 03. They arent supposed to recode from one VIN to another....

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
I'm just wondering if the electronics will sync. Since the cars use CAN, I imagine it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I only had my 05 for a year, but I really liked having a hatch button right on the key.

I think I could talk them into it somehow.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I'm just wondering if the electronics will sync. Since the cars use CAN, I imagine it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I only had my 05 for a year, but I really liked having a hatch button right on the key.

I think I could talk them into it somehow.
I dont see why it wouldnt work. The only thing is if the "hatch" function would work. Might as well try and find out!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
I dont see why it wouldnt work. The only thing is if the "hatch" function would work. Might as well try and find out!
I'm just gonna buy a used key, swap over the cut key and the RF chip from my second key and see if I can talk somebody at Classic into helping me out.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 PM
camminich
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes a bit to make this work, more than just a key program. To do so you need to replace the module located behind the bonnet release, and as soon as that is done, the accelerator pedal will no longer work, so it will need to done by someone that can also do the key reporgramming.

I would imagine most dealers would shy away from doing this.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Why does the car need a new BCM? The car only has 2 keys programmed, so I should be able to program up to 8 more before I need a new BCM.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 PM
camminich
5th Gear
Why does the car need a new BCM? The car only has 2 keys programmed, so I should be able to program up to 8 more before I need a new BCM.
I am not sure 100% why, but the part is different between the 02-04 and the 05-06, and I would say that is probably it.

I helped do a swap from an 05 parts MINI to a 04 and since we did not have the luxury of doing the repogram, we had to swap everything out. Box, pedal, and ignition switch. Didn't do the door handle, but then how often do you actually need that.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I was thinking of just buying one on eBay and opening it up to see how similar they are.
They will certainly be different and it would be hard to learn much by looking inside the keys. The keys have different circuit boards because the buttons are different and repositioned, and the newer key has circuitry to recharge the battery (which is not meant to be replaceable). My '06 Owner's Manual doesn't describe how to open the key and the case doesn't have a slot to facilitate prying.

Without knowing what MINI actually changed along with the newer key, there are unknown compatibility issues. Did they change the transmitter/receiver at all (does the transmitter in the new key work with the receiver in the older car)? Do the new and old keys use compatible security smart chips? Operating the remote boot unlock is performed through the computer, but the feature might not be included in any of the software versions available for your model year / VIN.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by camminich
It takes a bit to make this work, more than just a key program. To do so you need to replace the module located behind the bonnet release, and as soon as that is done, the accelerator pedal will no longer work, so it will need to done by someone that can also do the key reporgramming.

I would imagine most dealers would shy away from doing this.

Thats not correct. There is no module for the bonnet release. The actuator for the bonnet is controlled by the BCM. If the key sends the signal to the BCM to open the hatch....the car will do so. But it has to have the capability in the line of code to do so in the BCM. If it doesnt work....anyone who has cracked the Mini's language should be able to add the lines of code. And the accelerator works just fine with the hatch popped....ask AZBlackout....LMAO

Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 AM
camminich
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Thats not correct. There is no module for the bonnet release. The actuator for the bonnet is controlled by the BCM. If the key sends the signal to the BCM to open the hatch....the car will do so. But it has to have the capability in the line of code to do so in the BCM. If it doesnt work....anyone who has cracked the Mini's language should be able to add the lines of code. And the accelerator works just fine with the hatch popped....ask AZBlackout....LMAO
I was refering to where the module is, not what it does. Open up then panel where the release is located, there is a module back in there.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by camminich
I was refering to where the module is, not what it does. Open up then panel where the release is located, there is a module back in there.
My interior is gutted so I know exactly where everything is and what it looks like. I think we are saying the same thing....yes...you could reference it as a MODULE...you need something to take the electrical signals and convert the energy ...but thats not where the signal initially goes through to pop the hatch. Its the BCM. Regardless...that doesnt need to change. The different part number is to reference a TSB about 5 years ago....