Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical My new security/dashcam/DVR set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new security/dashcam/DVR set-up

Well, my tinkering continues. I had problems getting the auxiliary video port to work with my integrated rear view mirror camera recorder. While the integrated camera worked well, I decided to return this $400 device and set-up my own more stealth dashcam as inspired by this thread on mp3car.com.

I got a portable motion activated DVR device for $160 (records on SD card) and a mini security pinhole camera (with audio) for $45 off of ebay. I also got a $20 radioshack car adapter with the appropriate adaptaplug to power the DVR device. I hardwired the DVR and camera to an always on fuse via an Add-A-Circuit. I keep it set to motion-activation. It will also automatically turn on if you have it hardwired to an ignition only source.

This is the DVR unit velcroed in the footwell (I usually keep it further in and out of sight):

Here's a picture of the camera:

Here's a picture of the mounted camera with all the wires tucked away:

I'll post some videos later. The quality is acceptable for my purposes. I will probably invest in a better camera with a better sensor and auto-iris in the future.

Last edited by lacning74; 05-12-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
videos

Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job! I like how it timestamps the footage. When you watch the video, is it full motion or does it look jerky at all?? Hard to tell on the video clips. Also what is the resolution of the video--720x480? Finally can you turn off the time stamp? I had thought for a long time about using these portable DVRs for my VacuCams and never quite followed through to see how well they would work. SuperCircuits has these DVR's and cameras. I was actually looking at multistreaming DVR's--so I could record 3 or 4 streams at one time--but in order to do so, you always had to compromise on frame rate or resolution--so I'm still waiting until I can get an affordable 4 stream 720x480 DVR that fits in the palm of my hand, lol.

Btw as far as better cameras go, look for something that is CCD based instead of CMOS. You will have much better picture quality--something closer to your video camcorder for sure.

Richard

Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Nice job! I like how it timestamps the footage. When you watch the video, is it full motion or does it look jerky at all?? Hard to tell on the video clips. Also what is the resolution of the video--720x480? Finally can you turn off the time stamp? I had thought for a long time about using these portable DVRs for my VacuCams and never quite followed through to see how well they would work. SuperCircuits has these DVR's and cameras. I was actually looking at multistreaming DVR's--so I could record 3 or 4 streams at one time--but in order to do so, you always had to compromise on frame rate or resolution--so I'm still waiting until I can get an affordable 4 stream 720x480 DVR that fits in the palm of my hand, lol.

Btw as far as better cameras go, look for something that is CCD based instead of CMOS. You will have much better picture quality--something closer to your video camcorder for sure.

Richard
Thanks! I actually just mounted the camera on the side of the rear view mirror stalk. Much more stealthy from inside and out. I have the DVR recording at 704x480 resolution at 12FPS. Smooth enough for "surveillance", not pro-track quality though. It will do 30FPS at a lower resolution, 352x240. Don't think you can turn the date/time stamp off.

For me, I wanted something always conveniently running. For my "professional" videos, I'll mount my bulky HD camcorder.

As for 4 channel DVRs, I just saw this tempting portable device for only $215 (I'm guessing it probably can't do 4 720x480 streams at 30fps each, though):

http://www.dvrwatchdog.com/dvst-gn-704jlc.html

Anyway, for kicks, I'm sure in a few months, I will have a new 4 channel DVR hooked up to a new high quality low lux CCD auto-iris dashcam as well as my back-up camera and an interior driver and backseat cam.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Rear view camera feed

I connected my new rear view camera to the DVR. Here's a video. I'll post details of the install later.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here's a video walk-through of my install.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty slick!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Pretty slick!
Thanks, I'm having way to much fun. I feel like a kid again building my own robot with PVC pipes and RC car parts.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is how VacuCam was born back in 2003--finding a way to capture cool video using off the shelf stuff and having fun the whole time. Good work!! =P

Originally Posted by lacning74
Thanks, I'm having way to much fun. I feel like a kid again building my own robot with PVC pipes and RC car parts.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool stuff! I want to try doing this in my xB.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
MiniNova
3rd Gear
Lacning74, I just found your post and your going to be my inspiration to do this video setup to my MINI S, I'm still waiting for it, but I only have 1 week left.. I will like to capture at least 2 video streams (front "behind rear view mirror", and cabin (maybe from behind)...Thanks for posting this!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNova
Lacning74, I just found your post and your going to be my inspiration to do this video setup to my MINI S, I'm still waiting for it, but I only have 1 week left.. I will like to capture at least 2 video streams (front "behind rear view mirror", and cabin (maybe from behind)...Thanks for posting this!
No problem. Good luck!

I'm still trying to figure out the best multi-channel DVR to purchase. The one I mentioned above seems promising and compact but apparently when exporting video files with the software to avi files, audio is lost. They're working on it. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Google "mobile 4 channel DVR" for a lot of options.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Carwash

Just playing around with my dashcam and back-up camera (and yes, I use automated car washes).

Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to add one of these to your electronic gadgetry.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
MiniNova
3rd Gear
This is so cool, I really want to get this done when I get my car.. I'm also thinking about installing a GPS tracking device, but I don't want to go with one of those big companies like Onstar and so on, I want something more private, but I'm not sure how to get like a 10 second update one with out one of those big spy GPS companies... I'll keep on looking...

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Wow, so total cost was <$250? How tough was the install?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Wow, so total cost was <$250? How tough was the install?
I don't know what experience you have, but it's relatively easy to install. It's just basically running and tucking a lot of wires/cables around the car. Not much more difficult than hooking up a camcorder or vcr. The most difficult part can be how you decide to "hardwire" the power to the DVR and camera if you have no prior experience. Check my GPS install to get an idea for I how got power from the fusebox.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
I don't know what experience you have, but it's relatively easy to install. It's just basically running and tucking a lot of wires/cables around the car. Not much more difficult than hooking up a camcorder or vcr. The most difficult part can be how you decide to "hardwire" the power to the DVR and camera if you have no prior experience. Check my GPS install to get an idea for I how got power from the fusebox.
Very cool. I'll check this out again once I've got a MINI to play with.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
i need to do this just incase for and further insurance claims. totally worth the 300 investment

nice work!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
i need to do this just incase for and further insurance claims. totally worth the 300 investment

nice work!
thanks. it also would be nice next time you autocross.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
My wife was driving the car and got into an accident with a bicyclist who ran a redlight at an intersection right in front of the car, and my dashcam caught it all on action!

Any lawyers or auto insurance guys out there? What should I do? I'm itching to post the video. If the guy tries to sue, this video exonerates my wife for sure.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Video is next on my Carputer tinkering. I like the security idea but I'd like to have it run to my Mac MINI and record there. I still haven't found a Video to USB source yet. That and lack of funds

Nice set up. looks even better with the Carputer you are working on.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
Video is next on my Carputer tinkering. I like the security idea but I'd like to have it run to my Mac MINI and record there. I still haven't found a Video to USB source yet. That and lack of funds

Nice set up. looks even better with the Carputer you are working on.
once you get some funds, look into something like this 4 channel usb DVR device. once my carputer is set-up, i', going to get one to connect my cameras to. i'll probably add a cockpit/passenger cam as well.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
Great setup
Is there a chance that you can do a small write up on how you did the whole install?

Which DVR are you using and which camera? I found this in ebay but not sure if this is right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-1/4-Sony-CC...QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-1/3-Sony-CC...QQcmdZViewItem

How is the camera mounted to the stalk of the rear view mirror?

Thanks

Last edited by Zhenya13; 04-15-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Saw your intall walk through :)
Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zhenya13
Great setup
Is there a chance that you can do a small write up on how you did the whole install?

Which DVR are you using and which camera? I found this in ebay but not sure if this is right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-1/4-Sony-CC...QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-1/3-Sony-CC...QQcmdZViewItem

How is the camera mounted to the stalk of the rear view mirror?

Thanks
Sorry I haven't got around to updating my ever evolving installs. Both cameras you list seem fine. For a few dollars more, I would choose the bigger 1/3" sensor.

After removing the mounting bracket (originally used when I taped it the the top windwhield edge), I mounted the camera to the side of my rear view mirror stalk using 3M VHB double sided tape (from Target). I colored in the edges of the tape itself with black ink for extra stealth. It's held up through summer and winter.

Oh yeah, I also installed a high-gain mini CCTV mic for sound. My pinhole camera had a built in mic but the sound sucked.

I'll post more details later, but feel free to ask any specific questions.

Quick Reply: Electrical My new security/dashcam/DVR set-up