Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Valentine One install

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 AM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valentine One install

Any one here hard wire in their Valentine One radar detector? I need to find power up front in the headliner.

TIA

Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
Any one here hard wire in their Valentine One radar detector? I need to find power up front in the headliner.

TIA
Yep. You got a bunch of options from wiring into the fuse panel to finding any wire that is hot when the car is on. I have a tool (no idea what its called) That looks like a screw driver with a needle end, on the head is a bulb and a black wire that you ground. You then ***** a wire and if the bulb lights up its hot. I used the wire tape that comes in the V1 kit.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
i used an add a fuse in the fuse box by your clutch foot. Then just ran the wire up and through the a pillar to above the mirror.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I used and add-a-circuit down in the fuse box, the ran the wire up around the edge of the dash, under the A-pillar cover and headliner, then terminated by the mirror. It's easy and pretty quick, and that way you have a place for the little converter box.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
I used and add-a-circuit down in the fuse box, the ran the wire up around the edge of the dash, under the A-pillar cover and headliner, then terminated by the mirror. It's easy and pretty quick, and that way you have a place for the little converter box.
did you run yours on the front windscreen side or the driver side window side of the a-pillar?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Windscreen side - used a small screwdriver to tuck the cord under the edge of the pillar - it hides it perfectly.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Windscreen side - used a small screwdriver to tuck the cord under the edge of the pillar - it hides it perfectly.
Exactly +1
Then route it through the little "joint" in the dash cover from the a pillar, and pull the end cover off the dash (that faces the door when it's closed) and route the wire through there and down under the dash.

I tapped into an extra power outlet wire I already had down there... that tapped into the audio headunit power. But the add-a-fuse works also. Having the box down there is handy for adding accessories - I also have the V1 remote display and the remote audio control. Both are handy as I have the V1 main unit "wrapped" so no lights or ***** show.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
yeah that's where i've got mine too. Although the wire being between the a pillar and dash joints some times creeks. It wont do it for like 5k miles... then I'll have to pull the stupid wire out and put it back again. :/

Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Yep. You got a bunch of options from wiring into the fuse panel to finding any wire that is hot when the car is on. I have a tool (no idea what its called) That looks like a screw driver with a needle end, on the head is a bulb and a black wire that you ground. You then ***** a wire and if the bulb lights up its hot. I used the wire tape that comes in the V1 kit.
It's called a load light...

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Thanks guys. I was hoping to tap into a switched source already in the headliner on an '05. I'll just have to get in there and do some digging around

Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Thanks guys. I was hoping to tap into a switched source already in the headliner on an '05. I'll just have to get in there and do some digging around
What about the clock?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by UKSUV
What about the clock?
Judging by his sig he's got an 05, clock is in the speedo.

I'll get some pics of my install and post them tomorrow.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Judging by his sig he's got an 05, clock is in the speedo.

I'll get some pics of my install and post them tomorrow.
Its because his car is ghhheeeeeey. Both of em

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Its because his car is ghhheeeeeey. Both of em
Whateverz Just@zz My car is busted right now

BTW, I just took a peek up in the headliner and there isn't too much up there to snag power from. It's not like the 3er ... it has wire harnesses everywhere. I guess I'll end up running it up the A-pillar.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Whateverz Just@zz My car is busted right now

BTW, I just took a peek up in the headliner and there isn't too much up there to snag power from. It's not like the 3er ... it has wire harnesses everywhere. I guess I'll end up running it up the A-pillar.
Yeah...the clock option was your only bet...but since yours is in the speedo. :impatient A-Pillar it is! Btw OT: Just picked the 3 up from the shop. Feels like they did a good job replacing the strut tower. I might actually keep it an AA it (C38 blower). Dont know yet...:impatient Oh yeah....my final out is today!~ YAY!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 AM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Yeah...the clock option was your only bet...but since yours is in the speedo. :impatient A-Pillar it is! Btw OT: Just picked the 3 up from the shop. Feels like they did a good job replacing the strut tower. I might actually keep it an AA it (C38 blower). Dont know yet...:impatient Oh yeah....my final out is today!~ YAY!
Cool. Give me a call when you get the chance.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I think we tapped the moonroof wire through the light cluster - not sure if you have the roof but I'd guess the car might have the wire in either case. Hope that helps

Old 11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So us with a clock are good? Another words, one side of the clock is always hot?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
meh
2nd Gear
I powered mine with the wires to the rear view mirror; working great for over a year.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
So this Valentine One can only be ordered thru the internet?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
So this Valentine One can only be ordered thru the internet?
yep.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Kilted
2nd Gear
The Valentine's are friends of mine. With that knowledge, I can say if you have trouble with an install, talk to Mike. He is one of the most creative design engineers I have ever met. As for the product "Valentine One", its the best on the market.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilted
The Valentine's are friends of mine. With that knowledge, I can say if you have trouble with an install, talk to Mike. He is one of the most creative design engineers I have ever met. As for the product "Valentine One", its the best on the market.
It IS pretty cool that about half the time, if you call there and ask for tech support, they transfer you and you hear "This is Mike"...

Almost NOBODY does business like that anymore. It's refreshing.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know - and experiences like that really stick in your mind. When I was 11 years old, I wrote to the creators of the "Dungeons & Dragons" game with a question about armour classes and hit probability. In return, I got a two-page hand-written letter from Gary Gygax (the actual creator of the game), fully explaining the answer to my question.

I've also gotten a follow-up telephone call from George Zimmer (founder of "Men's Wearhouse", and the guy from their commercials) after buying some suits at his Houston store. I'm sure that's it's just marketing/publicity on their part that they call a few random customers every day, but it's still nice to talk to the guy that runs the operation and get the impression that he's really listening.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:23 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
yep.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Electrical Valentine One install