E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

E-Mini All season/winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:15 AM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All season/winter tires

Just ordered a 2023 SE electric which should be in approximately 3 months. The sales person mentioned that the stock tires "turn into hockey pucks" when the weather gets cold. He also mentioned that the tread life is about 10 to 12 K. Since it regularly dips below 30 here I need to invest in a set of all season/snow treads. I will not be driving the car in deep snow - keeping my Countryman All 4 for that purpose - but would like to drive it when it gets cold. I would appreciate any suggestions/experiences with cold weather. I do realize the range decreases with cold weather - my commute is relatively short.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:29 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
I have a set of Blizzaks for winter. They do great.

The estimated range was about 10 miles less in the winter, though I don't drive far enough for it to matter. That was also when the car was brand new and I was shooting off the line and driving on the freeway everyday, so there is likely less actual difference.

I keep hoping I can score a second set of rims for cheap locally, but no luck so far. Right now I'm getting the tires swapped at the tire shop, but it's a hassle and I'd rather swap them myself.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:53 AM
MeanGreenEV
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StillK
Just ordered a 2023 SE electric which should be in approximately 3 months. The sales person mentioned that the stock tires "turn into hockey pucks" when the weather gets cold. He also mentioned that the tread life is about 10 to 12 K. Since it regularly dips below 30 here I need to invest in a set of all season/snow treads. I will not be driving the car in deep snow - keeping my Countryman All 4 for that purpose - but would like to drive it when it gets cold. I would appreciate any suggestions/experiences with cold weather. I do realize the range decreases with cold weather - my commute is relatively short.
For the short time I had my mini se, I used vredestin quatracs in a 16 inch diameter. They were good in 3-4 inches of snow, slop. My range did not suffer because they were on fairly lightweight wheels. If you're in The northeast, you can have mine for free with about 2k miles. They are just taking up room in my basement.