E-Mini (2020+) Electric Mini Discussions

E-Mini Range Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 06:28 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Just curious if we have an Florida/Texas/other hot and humid state residents that own the Mini SE and use the AC /radio for each outing? I understand why people want to report higher than advertised ranges, but interested to get some feedback on anyone that has their AC on (full blast at the start -to get the cabin cooled down on start up) then run normally with the radio on (as one would with an ICE car) and can report on actual range routinely achieved.

Asking because, my situation has changed and having a 250+ mile range EV isn't necessary any longer. If the Mini SE can get the advertised 110 mile range using the AC and radio (maybe wipers and lights when raining) I may just trade for one. A round trip to my Mini dealership is about 50 miles and occasionally will need a 75 mile round trip range. If having to be at 100% before attempting these trip or worry about making the trip without a charging stop.....................I may hold off for another year and see.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:35 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Just curious if we have an Florida/Texas/other hot and humid state residents that own the Mini SE and use the AC /radio for each outing? I understand why people want to report higher than advertised ranges, but interested to get some feedback on anyone that has their AC on (full blast at the start -to get the cabin cooled down on start up) then run normally with the radio on (as one would with an ICE car) and can report on actual range routinely achieved.
I live in FL and always drive in normal mode with air on (usually at 72). I drive it like any other car and don't try to maximize range by turning off the AC or avoiding the use of wipers/etc. Most driving is around town, but I occasionally run it up to 70-75 on the causeways and highways. It will easily deliver 100+ miles between charges, although I normally recharge anytime I drop below 50%. Last week, we had some longer range trips and I logged 106 miles with 20% battery capacity remaining. That said, I have never used green or green + mode.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rtowell
I live in FL and always drive in normal mode with air on (usually at 72). I drive it like any other car and don't try to maximize range by turning off the AC or avoiding the use of wipers/etc. Most driving is around town, but I occasionally run it up to 70-75 on the causeways and highways. It will easily deliver 100+ miles between charges, although I normally recharge anytime I drop below 50%. Last week, we had some longer range trips and I logged 106 miles with 20% battery capacity remaining. That said, I have never used green or green + mode.
Thanks for the info. Maybe a Mini SE would suit our needs after all..............

Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Curious what wheel set owners have on their Mini SE?

Is the Mini SE's advertised range based on the 16 inch wheel and tire set? Knowing a bit about unsprung weight and how that and rolling resistance can either sap or improve a car performance (and in the case of the SE - it's range), just curious what owners selected on their car.

On my 2019 Cooper S, I swapped out the 17 Tentacle's and standard tires with a set of Enkei RPF1 and a light weight set of Conti tries and shaved 38 lbs of unsprung weight overall thus giving me an extra 10 WHP and Wheel TQ. Obviously 16 inch wheels and tires are going to be lighter than any of the 17 inch sets offer on the SE

Old 09-21-2021, 12:38 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
I've read that the Power Spokes are the most fuel efficient of the stock wheels. Not sure if it's primarily due to weight or width. Or shape maybe? They have fewer openings than most wheels so maybe they're more aerodynamic.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:27 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
I have the Rail Spoke 17" wheels. They are pretty heavy, so I suspect I could pick up some range by shifting to a lighter wheel, such as the NM RSe05 that I have on my JCW. However, given the way we use the car, that really isn't a priority; however, we may switch the wheels to my JCW Track Spoke take-offs when we change the tires. Probably no real weight savings, but it would look much more aggressive.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:15 PM
MichaelC
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want to maximize highway range, I suggest focusing on these factors, in this order:
  1. Rolling resistance
  2. Aerodynamic impact of the wheels
  3. Weight
If you care more about maximizing range on city streets, I would shuffle that order a little bit to:
  1. Rolling resistance
  2. Weight
...and not worry about the aerodynamic impacts of the wheels.

The RSe05s are indeed very light, but they're also wider. That means a larger contact patch for the tires (increasing impact of the tire's rolling resistance). They also have a more aggressive offset, and the spoke design is great for clearing JCW brake calipers, but spoil aerodynamics a bit.

Michalin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires clearly have a much higher rolling resistance than the stock Hankooks, and are heavier (which makes sense, since they're all-seasons). When I looked up the EU tyre labels, both the 17" and 16" Hankook tires MINI uses on the SE have an 'A' rating for their rolling resistance/fuel economy (meaning most efficient). And they're also quite light! MINI made a very intentional choice, and the receipts back it up.

I'm curious how the RSe05s would fare with (lighter) summer tires with lower rolling resistance, but I wouldn't expect the highway range performance to match a setup with narrower wheels which don't poke. But they look fantastic and the wider contact patch yields noticeably improved lateral grip.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:32 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Very interesting and about what I'd expect. Since 95% of our use will be in town w/ speeds not exceeding 50MPH light weight and rolling resistance would be the major factors. I did web searches for the MINI wheel weights but could not find anything. Tires weights can be found on Tire Rack website as well as after market wheels (and their weights) Nothing on rolling resistances, but one can assume that going with the lightest combinations (tire and wheel) will likely yield less rolling resistance in most cases.

Lightest 16" wheel I found were the OZ Ultraleggara @ 14.8. Mini 16" certainly compares favorably. Lightest 16" tire was 17 lbs. (31.8 lbs combined) Mini Rovolite Spoke is a winner to in my eye.

Thanks for posting. Great info!.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:38 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
A bit more info based on data that I've been recording since delivery. As I said earlier, I live in FL and almost all of my driving is local. I drive this car the same as any of my other cars. I do not use Green or Green + mode, A/C setting are normally in the 72-74 degree range, and regen setting is in normal (high) mode.

Based on my driving mode and recorded data, I am averaging 4.11 miles/kWh, with a high of 4.39 and a low of 3.72. Given that the battery is limited to 28.9 kWh (usable), the expected maximum range would be an average of 118.78 miles. At my highest efficiency, range would be 126.87 miles; the lowest would be 107.5 miles. FYI, my highest posted mileage on a charge was 109.3 miles ... that used 27.2312 kWh which is almost 95% of usable battery capacity.

I'm sure I could extend this by driving slower on open roads and freeways (55-70 mph), using Green/Green +, pumping up my tire pressure, etc. However, that's not the way I would drive an ICE car, so why change my habits and suffer just to prove a point. I believe my numbers are realistic for a daily driver in a warm climate.

The following users liked this post:
eMINIman (09-28-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
A bit more info based on data that I've been recording since delivery. As I said earlier, I live in FL and almost all of my driving is local. I drive this car the same as any of my other cars. I do not use Green or Green + mode, A/C setting are normally in the 72-74 degree range, and regen setting is in normal (high) mode.

Based on my driving mode and recorded data, I am averaging 4.11 miles/kWh, with a high of 4.39 and a low of 3.72. Given that the battery is limited to 28.9 kWh (usable), the expected maximum range would be an average of 118.78 miles. At my highest efficiency, range would be 126.87 miles; the lowest would be 107.5 miles. FYI, my highest posted mileage on a charge was 109.3 miles ... that used 27.2312 kWh which is almost 95% of usable battery capacity.

I'm sure I could extend this by driving slower on open roads and freeways (55-70 mph), using Green/Green +, pumping up my tire pressure, etc. However, that's not the way I would drive an ICE car, so why change my habits and suffer just to prove a point. I believe my numbers are realistic for a daily driver in a warm climate.
Sounds about like the way I drive now too. Only diff being our AC setting is 68 degrees w/ virtually zero interstate driving. I could certainly live with a 100 mile range car as long I knew that I could get that 100 miles in the most extreme of circumstances (AC and radio on, in a rain storm with wipers and headlights on -driving normally and not exceeding 45 MPH).

I watched a Sandy Munro review of the Mini SE and most everything about the car they liked, understanding of course that this iteration is a transition car from an ICE to an EV rather than a completely designed EV. I would imagine (and hope) that BMW builds the next series as full EV with allowance for larger battery pack, a "frunk" and a better EV integration into the body. Maybe waiting for 2023/2024 and the 4 gen Mini and see what is offered.

From MotoringFile.com:

The G56 (likely code-name) will reach UK showrooms towards the end of 2022, nine years after the F56 was introduced. Under the hood will be a variety of powertrains including a new 48v mild-hybrid petrol engine with a particulate filter and functions such as automatic engine shutdown, coasting and brake energy recuperation. It will form the basis of the One, Cooper and Cooper S drivetrains. .

Offered alongside will be a second generation all electric MINI with a greater range and improved 150kW fast charting capability.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Some early spy photos reveal the new EV Mini's ride height to be taller than the gen 3, indicating that the next SE will be a complete redesign providing for more battery capacity and better placement.

At present, my 2019 Cooper S (just turning 4000 miles) and my 2017 2 series BMW with 8,000 miles should provide good service until the Gen 4 models come to market in the next year or two.

Still have not discounted going with the Mini SE sooner.................but do have concerns that once a dedicated Mini EV is introduced with greater range, smaller exterior and larger interior space that the current SE may take a beating on retained value. Certainly any car should not be considered an appreciating investment, but one would like to hope for close to 50% retained value after 5 years as a decent end point.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:44 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
After the G56 MINI Electric arrives, the F56 MINI Cooper SE will be referred to as the lightweight MINI Electric.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by eMINIman
After the G56 MINI Electric arrives, the F56 MINI Cooper SE will be referred to as the lightweight MINI Electric.
There is a lot of space available for batteries in the current SE. Under the rear seats is basically a huge void. The spare tire area is empty too. If they made the battery pack wider like a Tesla instead of just being in the tunnel, you could get a lot more range.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:22 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
There is a lot of space available for batteries in the current SE. Under the rear seats is basically a huge void. The spare tire area is empty too. If they made the battery pack wider like a Tesla instead of just being in the tunnel, you could get a lot more range.
That is very true; however, the result would have been another overweight EV. MINI sought to balance the MINI driving experience and feel with a useable range. I think they hit the right balance ... the car is fun to drive, as a MINI should be, but has usable range for most people. Also, had they added more weight and range, the utility of the F56 in terms of size and space, etc. would have come under fire, especially if it was slow and didn't handle like a MINI should.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:31 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
You haven't looked under the rear seat of a MINI Cooper SE if you think there's nothing under there. Do you know of any MINI Cooper F56--even an ICE-powered one--that has a spare tire?

MINI Cooper SE T-shaped battery

Old 10-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
You haven't looked under the rear seat of a MINI Cooper SE if you think there's nothing under there. Do you know of any MINI Cooper F56--even an ICE-powered one--that has a spare tire?
MINI Cooper SE T-shaped battery
I have most definitely looked under the rear seat of my car. Remove your rear seat cushion and look at all of the wasted space.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:40 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jon Roberts
I have most definitely looked under the rear seat of my car. Remove your rear seat cushion and look at all of the wasted space.
Sorry, I thought you meant there was no battery under the rear seat. I'll take your word that there's space for a taller battery under the seat, but I'm one of those who care more about weight than range.

The following users liked this post:
rtowell (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
That is very true; however, the result would have been another overweight EV. MINI sought to balance the MINI driving experience and feel with a useable range. I think they hit the right balance ... the car is fun to drive, as a MINI should be, but has usable range for most people. Also, had they added more weight and range, the utility of the F56 in terms of size and space, etc. would have come under fire, especially if it was slow and didn't handle like a MINI should.
I believe that BMW design group will keep the handling spry even with a larger battery and longer range. Plenty of items to tweak to maintain that balance IMO.

Old 10-09-2021, 01:55 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I believe that BMW design group will keep the handling spry even with a larger battery and longer range. Plenty of items to tweak to maintain that balance IMO.
The 5,119-lb Porsche Taycan reportedly handles pretty well, but IMO there's no substitute for light weight. Great Wall Motors' 143-hp Ora "Good Cat" on which Motoring File claims the next MINI EV will be based weighs 3,323 lbs. Motoring File says MINI will pump up the motor's output to 169-hp. So that's a bigger, heavier car than the MINI Cooper SE with less horsepower. On the positive side for range-whiners, the 143-hp Good Cat has a 249-mile battery and an optional 311-mile battery (not EPA numbers), but the larger motor will both reduce range and add weight. The Good Cat offers autonomous driving, which to me is the antithesis of what a MINI is for.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
The 5,119-lb Porsche Taycan reportedly handles pretty well, but IMO there's no substitute for light weight. Great Wall Motors' 143-hp Ora "Good Cat" on which Motoring File claims the next MINI EV will be based weighs 3,323 lbs. Motoring File says MINI will pump up the motor's output to 169-hp. So that's a bigger, heavier car than the MINI Cooper SE with less horsepower. On the positive side for range-whiners, the 143-hp Good Cat has a 249-mile battery and an optional 311-mile battery (not EPA numbers), but the larger motor will both reduce range and add weight. The Good Cat offers autonomous driving, which to me is the antithesis of what a MINI is for.

I was under the impression that the new Mini SE would be an outwardly smaller car w/ increased interior room.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...ls-158692.html

From the article:
The biggest change compared to the current generation of MINI hatches is the overall size, which seems to be a tad smaller than its predecessor and thus a return to the carmaker’s roots in a market of ever-expanding models. Underneath we should be met with a larger battery and a slightly more powerful electric motor, but we will probably know more about those details sometime next year, when the car gets closer to its official reveal.

Guess we will have to wait and see what shakes out....................

Old 10-11-2021, 08:05 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
I was under the impression that the new Mini SE would be an outwardly smaller car w/ increased interior room.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...ls-158692.html
That prototype car looks like it might be a plug-in hybrid. It has a gas cap on the both sides of the car but I don't see an exhaust. Maybe there isn't a cap on the passenger side like my SE and they just moved it to the driver's side.

The rear bumper has a center light which is clear. Maybe that is the backup light or maybe the rear fog light.

I do like the new side mirrors but it looks like a VW Golf.

Lastly, it doesn't look smaller to me. It looks like an F56 still.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:22 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Decided to hold off for the 2023 SE and see what it has to offer. We order our cars so waiting until next year isn't going to be a huge deal. Still considering a Bolt (now that the battery issue has been sorted out). I wish there was a bigger market in the USA for smaller EV's . VW ID3 would be a consideration also

Old 11-05-2021, 07:39 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Decided to hold off for the 2023 SE and see what it has to offer. We order our cars so waiting until next year isn't going to be a huge deal. Still considering a Bolt (now that the battery issue has been sorted out). I wish there was a bigger market in the USA for smaller EV's . VW ID3 would be a consideration also
I cross shopped the BRZ, Miata RF, and the Mini SE. I test drove a Mini S but it understeered so badly and was a lot slower than the SE. The SE has instant torque, more room, a lot quieter than everything else, and a big practical hatch. The only downside is the range but I just drive a clunky SUV when for road trips.

I don't trust GM to make a quality car and the car is setup like a small SUV rather than a hot hatch.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:21 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jon Roberts
I cross shopped the BRZ, Miata RF, and the Mini SE. I test drove a Mini S but it understeered so badly and was a lot slower than the SE. The SE has instant torque, more room, a lot quieter than everything else, and a big practical hatch. The only downside is the range but I just drive a clunky SUV when for road trips.

I don't trust GM to make a quality car and the car is setup like a small SUV rather than a hot hatch.

I have had two Mini S models (one of which I still drive). Love those cars. The Chevy Bolt has two models, one EUV which looks like a small SUV and the regular EV which is a hatchback car. I did stop at our local Chevy dealership and sat in the 2022 EV (hatch). Actually was surprised at the fit and finish of that car. While one could argue it was as good as the Mini, as an unbiased Mini owner, I would say the interior quality was similar. Lots of soft touch areas and the seats were quite comfortable. Ride height is a bit higher than the Mini (which for anyone with a bad back) makes entering and exiting a bit easier than a lower seating car. Size-wise, the Bolt is bit larger, but still on the smallish side compared to other offerings.

With the potential of a much bigger EV tax incentive being bandied around in congress, waiting until next year makes financial sense (for me) and allows the BMW group to redesign the Mini to provide more range. I was a "weight weenie" worried but unsprung weight, and engine tunes, etc., my focus has since changed. As long as the vehicle has the power to make merging with traffic a non-issue, and provides me the creature comfort features I've come to enjoy, if the new Mini SE adds a few more pounds, it won't be a deal breaker fro me. Naturally, everyone has their own priorities. If EV's were not the future, my next Mini would be the 3 cyl Iconic rather than the Mini S Iconic w/ a JCW tune and light weight aftermarket wheels and tires which I currently own.

All things being equal, I would easily choose the Mini over the Bolt, but at present they are not equal in the one area that concerns me, range. Knowing the 2023 Mini will have a longer range, I find it prudent for me to wait and see (if Mini/BMW had no intention on upping the range, I'd probably settle for the current model). It would be a slam-dunk for the Mini if the 2023 had 200+ miles in range.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:01 PM
Wildtool
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2016 MINI Clubman owner here. We charge our Tesla to 100% only when going on a long trip, per manufacturer's recommendations. Otherwise, you dial the maximum charge down to 80%. Full range is about 310 miles. Regular range is about 270 miles. Tesla's Superchargers are numerous and long trips have never been a problem.

VERY happy with the Tesla. It's a single motor, long range model which isn't made any more, but the range is great, almost no maintenance as others have noted, and it is lightning fast. (See drag race videos on YouTube). I would buy another, maybe a Model Y next since I can't put a trailer hitch on my Clubman!. Definitely will replace my MINI with an EV next time; I can't go backwards. I am intrigued by the MINI SE, but the short range is a little scary. The price, however, especially with the tax credit is pretty good!

WT
2016 Clubman S

Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
MINI knew that the minimal-range MINI Cooper SE would always be charged to 100% so they designed in a larger top-end buffer than the Teslas have. Without that buffer, the EPA range rating for my 2021 SE would be maybe 120-125 miles instead of 110 miles, but I like not having to worry about reducing battery longevity by overcharging. My often proferred slogan is, "Exchange the range for a ton of fun!"