Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Intake from Alta

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 01:15 PM
cliggett
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the new intake that Randy was talking about from Alta/Mini-madness is done and is the most expensive of the bunch at $259.

null

Old 04-04-2003, 01:17 PM
cliggett
1st Gear
New at this posting URLS:( I'll try this again.

New Alta Intake

Old 04-04-2003, 01:23 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
well it certainly has ..interesting colors :smile:

looks like a rogue/madnes.....rip.

peace,
d

Old 04-04-2003, 01:28 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is the best so far! I wish the price was a little cheaper, oh well.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:30 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not quite done, but that's the one. It's actualy a pretty good deal, I hadn't had any pricing yet. It takes the MINI-Motorsport airbox mod to the next step and just removes the partition all together. We are also working with the silicone tube to fit the larger throttle body.

Stay tuned, the unit should be tested and ready next week or so.

Randy

Old 04-04-2003, 01:35 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Any chance of using a strut brace with this intake?

Cheers,

Chuck

Old 04-04-2003, 01:39 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
...and different color silicone. I ahve nothing wrong with the blue one, but my MINI does . Thanks for the 411 Randy.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Interesting piece, but I question the use of black powdercoating on something meant to be a heat shield. Wouldn't black attract and retain more heat than say a stainless steel?

And as just a general Alta comment...why must they badge ALL their stuff with their own name. I don't get it.

R

Old 04-04-2003, 01:45 PM
cliggett
1st Gear
Randy,

Are you saying the intake isn't finished yet? How frustrating, I am ready to buy! I've been looking at intakes for what seems like an eternity. I was basically waiting for something that would set itself apart from the others, and I think Alta did it with this intake. The combo of the new inlet hose along with feeding air in from the grill below the windshield seemed like two inovative ideas. Should I hold off on buying this for awhile?

Old 04-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Oh, and MINI-Madness has nothing to do with Alta at all.

R

Old 04-04-2003, 01:54 PM
cliggett
1st Gear
>>Oh, and MINI-Madness has nothing to do with Alta at all.
>>
>>R

I am just taking from Randy's post

"Intake

New intake development is under way with ALTA and MINI-Madness as partners - more info in the coming weeks."

Update on New Stuff

Old 04-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
No, not MINI-Madness but MINI-Motorsport perhaps?

To my knowledge (and I consult for MINI-Madness) Madness doesn't have anything to do with any Alta products.

R

Old 04-04-2003, 02:01 PM
crashgearbox
2nd Gear
>>...and different color silicone. I ahve nothing wrong with the blue one, but my MINI does

Old 04-04-2003, 02:49 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>Interesting piece, but I question the use of black powdercoating on something meant to be a heat shield. Wouldn't black attract and retain more heat than say a stainless steel? >>>>>>

Hmmm....Doesn't color, and in this case, black just have to due with sunlight because black absorbs all the colors of the spectrum???????

Old 04-04-2003, 02:57 PM
cooper44
4th Gear
I just sent Alta a request for a different color option on the intake hose. Blue looks nice, but my jet black MCS would look better (when i'm looking at it) with a red or black hose. I'll post their answer when I get one.

Craig

Old 04-04-2003, 03:09 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Definitely black!

Old 04-04-2003, 10:25 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>It's not quite done, but that's the one. It's actualy a pretty good deal, I hadn't had any pricing yet. It takes the MINI-Motorsport airbox mod to the next step and just removes the partition all together. We are also working with the silicone tube to fit the larger throttle body.
>>
>>Stay tuned, the unit should be tested and ready next week or so.
>>
>>
>>
>>Randy

Randy, do you see any issue with moving this partition with the Rogue intake? Does this new intake provide something that's not visible in the picture to make removing it possible? From what I can tell on the car there shouldn't be any reason this can't be removed with the Rogue intake too.

Paul

Old 04-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
>>Randy,
>>
>>Are you saying the intake isn't finished yet? How frustrating, I am ready to buy! I've been looking at intakes for what seems like an eternity. I was basically waiting for something that would set itself apart from the others, and I think Alta did it with this intake. The combo of the new inlet hose along with feeding air in from the grill below the windshield seemed like two inovative ideas. Should I hold off on buying this for awhile?

^ What he said ^

Old 04-04-2003, 11:46 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The intake is just available with the blue hose for now, but I'll check on black. The intake is done, but they are waiting to get the hoses for the production run and should have them by early next week, so I'm sure they are taking orders and will fill them as soon as the units come together.

I should have one next week for testing, so I'll post when the info is available. I think the idea is very solid .

Old 04-05-2003, 05:06 AM
jlm
6th Gear
from the Alta site: " The factory part is corrugated and ribbed on the inside. Turbulence is created and air flow velocity is reduced,"

I have had my stock rubber intake tube off and it is not corrugated and ribbed on the inside, but very smooth and it is recessed at the ends so it is well matched to the tubes it joins to.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
>>I have had my stock rubber intake tube off and it is not corrugated and ribbed on the inside, but very smooth and it is recessed at the ends so it is well matched to the tubes it joins to.<<

But it is ribbed on the outside, right? I haven't looked inside mine, but I know it is ribbed on the outside. Obviously it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference what is on the outside, I'm just trying to keep my tubes straight!

Really, I guess I'm curious if there are different tubes on different cars, be it different models or different production dates. I have the Cooper, so I don't believe this product even fits my car at all.

Old 04-05-2003, 07:18 AM
jlm
6th Gear
the stock piece is a very well made cast rubber part, the inside is smooth, the outside is ribbed; even the blower bypass input is a streamlined entry.

Old 04-05-2003, 07:40 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
You're totally right jlm, I don't know why they have that on the website - marketing I guess. What is true about the new piece is that the size is slightly larger - we'll see if it helps on the dyno. It is frustrating sometimes...

Old 04-05-2003, 11:05 AM
cliggett
1st Gear
Great to hear. I have placed my order, and I can't wait to get the intake. Thanks for all of the information Randy.

Old 04-05-2003, 02:21 PM
obehave
6th Gear
>>The intake is just available with the blue hose for now, but I'll check on black. The intake is done, but they are waiting to get the hoses for the production run and should have them by early next week, so I'm sure they are taking orders and will fill them as soon as the units come together.
>>
>>I should have one next week for testing, so I'll post when the info is available. I think the idea is very solid .

I've emailed back and forth with Adam at Alta and he confirms that they are only doing blue. But he is also aware that given enough requests the possibility of different colors would be good business. So email them with your thoughts.

As a side note I also asked about them selling the intercooler isolators stand alone and in different colors. He seems to be seriously considering selling them stand alone. Once again email him to make your thoughts known.

adam@altaminiperformance.com if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New Intake from Alta