Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installing an OCC

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saturday morning I installed the OCC as per my first sketch, then obehave and clifft's posts made me think more about it.
Here's my install as of this morning (Monday - Gandini OCC alt sketch! - the sketch quality is not any better but still trying to get the feel for using a pen and tablet instead of a mouse!):

I recall on an earlier OCC thread some pictures of the second OCC installation, with the can in the air box. It looked pretty neat. Also this V2.0 setup has the neatest routing of lines (not as neat as stock, though!)
btw, the car runs just fine with this and the first setup, as it did with the M7 routing--all three do not seem to cause any drivability problems.

cheers,

Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gandini
Saturday morning I installed the OCC as per my first sketch, then obehave and clifft's posts made me think more about it.
Here's my install as of this morning (Monday - Gandini OCC alt sketch! - the sketch quality is not any better but still trying to get the feel for using a pen and tablet instead of a mouse!):

I recall on an earlier OCC thread some pictures of the second OCC installation, with the can in the air box. It looked pretty neat. Also this V2.0 setup has the neatest routing of lines (not as neat as stock, though!)
btw, the car runs just fine with this and the first setup, as it did with the M7 routing--all three do not seem to cause any drivability problems.

cheers,
This isn't an art class My tablet stuff looks just like yours

Old 07-10-2006, 08:41 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gandini

cheers,
This is the best way. The crankcase gets air & the oil that would get in the IC is collected.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So if you do not use two OCCs the above picture is the best way to go?

Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Honestly I don't know which of the two would be the preferred lines in a single OCC installation. My gut tells me to go with the vacuum line as pictured above if you're using is on a non-twincharged car. On a twin-charded car, I'd put it on the other one. I hope that makes sense.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:08 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. Pep'r
So if you do not use two OCCs the above picture is the best way to go?
Yes. There is no doubt about it.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
None of the drawings are showing up for me.

And how does it compare to the diagram in my gallery https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...an_routing.JPG

Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
And how does it compare to the diagram in my gallery https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...an_routing.JPG
Gandini's first drawing is like this one you point to.
Gandini's second drawing is currently the preferred routing given one OCC.

cheers,

Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Does this work for you......I put the yellow lines showing his second routing.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Does this work for you......I put the yellow lines showing his second routing.

Can't see the pic. 1 line from the PCV to the can, 1 line from the can to the grey hose. Is that what you did? If so, that is correct.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Hmmmm.........still no drawings showing up for me.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Try this.... The yellow lines are is how the above picture gandini posted looks against yours.

Attached Thumbnails Installing an OCC-8015catch_can_routing.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
I know this is off topic but why can I see gandini and my post but others can not?

I had this problem with another thread some could see it while others could not.

Please let me know if you see the attached photo.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Ok I got it this time. Still no definitive answer on why my install is considered wrong.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Try this.... The yellow lines are is how the above picture gandini posted looks against yours.
This one worked.

Trying to use "open in new window" with your previous link results in this.

Attached Thumbnails Installing an OCC-picture-4.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
I Think I Will Install Mine Just Like Peter From M7 Instructed. Btw It Look An Awful Lot Like Scotts Sketch.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Ok I got it this time. Still no definitive answer on why my install is considered wrong.
Wool gathering

Not venting the non PCV side (US drivers side) prevents clean outside air from entering the crankcase.
I don't share the belief that there will be a vacuum or negative pressure because of this, but I do think it would be an issue at throttle lift off. Something we do a lot in urban traffic and even in autocross. Accelerate hard and then let off and brake. The PCV will snap shut under high vacuum but you will still have an amount of blow by gas in the crankcase. The non PCV side will allow venting to happen.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
So does anyone have a diagram of this M7 hose routing? i am curious how it differs from the others shown here so far. I really had no idea there were several different ways to route the hoses for the catch can.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
saifa
4th Gear
I agree...I am quite confused myself.

I have an M7 can but it did not include the instructions people are talking about. I was gonna install it as Johan did https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=63316
but I am not sure where the lower line is going. Is the M7 hose the same collapsible hose as the Alta?

Can someone please "tell me" which way I should go? I believe I have counted 4 or 5 possible routing options. Here is my setup, someone guide me. 1 can only, no VGS (saw routing options with VGS), no turbo and I'm not sure what else may be relevant.

Thanks all

Seann

Old 07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Wool gathering

Not venting the non PCV side (US drivers side) prevents clean outside air from entering the crankcase.
I don't share the belief that there will be a vacuum or negative pressure because of this, but I do think it would be an issue at throttle lift off. Something we do a lot in urban traffic and even in autocross. Accelerate hard and then let off and brake. The PCV will snap shut under high vacuum but you will still have an amount of blow by gas in the crankcase. The non PCV side will allow venting to happen.
But with the way I have mine installed I have both lines running to the upper intake tee from the occ. They are both basically vented to the air.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
obehave
6th Gear
But with the way I have mine installed I have both lines running to the upper intake tee from the occ. They are both basically vented to the air.

So, you're not using the grey hard line?

If so then the PCV will never function correctly. So you will not be venting the crankcase well.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Why would the PVC valve not function correctly? This is the way all NA engines vent the PVC valve that I have seen.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
This one worked.

Trying to use "open in new window" with your previous link results in this.
I guess it is because that was a link given to me from another NAM member that requires a password that I thought it could up load photos off the net rather than through "manage attachments".

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Why would the PVC valve not function correctly? This is the way all NA engines vent the PVC valve that I have seen.

Without a pic I'm making assumptions so I may be basing this on the wrong thing but since you didn't say I was wrong in my earlier post I'll assume I was right. Dangerous ground

NA engines DO NOT draw PCV vacuum before the throttle body or the carb. They draw it from a point in the induction system after the butterfly. That is the only way to pick up high vacuum at idle. This is what keeps the valve closed at idle but allows it to gradually open as vacuum drops of. As vacuum drops off and the engine works harder you are creating more blow by gas which escapes through the now open PCV. Even at WOT there is more negative pressure or vacuum in the induction path after the TB than before. Due to flow restrictions.

So using the point in the intake tube prior to the TB will essentially leave the PCV open all the time. Some may say that isn't a big deal. I happen to think it is.
It's your car though. Do what makes you happy. I am not saying I'm right you're wrong I'm just trying to address the questions you asked.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Thanks O. The picture posted earlier by the Dr. P was of my install. He did the yellow to show the alternative.

My only concern is to make sure that the install is safe and that it works efficiently. I do not claim that my way is the only way, but I want to make sure that claims of any other install are backed up with a clear explaination. Something that was lacking in the other post, especially by one who shall remain nameless........lol.

Thanks for your help and for the explaination.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Installing an OCC