Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain After market exhaust poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Brother
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, after reading the lengthy thread on exhaust, I would like to boil it down to this....What in everyones opinion is the best after market exhaust when you figure in performance gains/noise level?

Old 03-23-2003, 07:55 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's almost too easy to answer.

The one with the most performance and most volumn is Magnaflow.

Want more volumn, remove the cat

Old 03-23-2003, 07:55 AM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
If you do the exhaust yourself,budget more time.It took two of us two hours with a lift.My Mini dealer claims the time on the web is understated.
I installed a Quicksilver system on my mcs just yesterday.It's very well constructed and light.I can't give hp gains although mcshp and other sources give it high marks.
It is,I'm afraid,too loud for my ears.

Old 03-23-2003, 08:06 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so I'm biased. I have the Magnaflow. I love the sound, performance and look. The install and fit is very clean as well. I have been fortunate enough to avoid the "drone" that others have described, ( Im sure the anti-magnaflow crowd will chime any time now.)

My system is welded at the joints and only extends a 1/4 inch from the rear skirt which may be a reason that the "drone" has been avoided, the jury is still out on these factors if they contribute to the "drone" or not. ( anyone, feel free to chime in if you have an opinion in this as well )

The best advice I can give is go and see and more importantly listen in person to each of the systems out there, so as to avoid disappointment. Many of us here I'm sure would be more than happy to "show off" our systems for your curious ear

I'm located in the Milwaukee suburbs, if your in the neighborhood I'd be happy to give you an earfull

Good luck and welcome to MCO.

His, Chile Red all over / Hers, EB UJ on top

Old 03-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Keith's-S
1st Gear
dominicminicoopers: the answer should be: the exhaust that produces the most power with a noise you can live with.

I had a Magnaflow but swapped for a Borla because, for me, the volume was too much. Based on my GTech, the Bora has 50% the power of the Magaflow with (based on subjective ears) 1/3 the volume. The power of the Magnaflow is great but the drone gave me a headache after 20 minutes on the highway - others enjoy living with the Magnaflow. From what I have read, the Quicksilver is somewhere between these two.

In short, there is no right answer. I expect every exhaust is the "best" for someone.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Keith: Do you have any other impressions of the Borla? I think I'm getting one soon. Why do you prefer it over stock? Little more power/nicer tone? Thanks. JR

Old 03-24-2003, 11:06 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have had the Borla and the Magnaflow exhausts on my MINI. After another week of driving, I'll decide which one I'm going to keep. Right now, I'd say the magnaflow. :smile:

Old 03-24-2003, 12:24 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
I had both the Magnaflow & the Quicksilver on my MCS.
Both were too loud & droning for me....

Take my advice and drive a car that has the exhuast you want to install...
Drive it locally & then drive it on a highway for an extended period of time...

Then & only then...will you be able to make a prudent choice :smile:

I have the stock on now ..till i fine an exhaust that provides the correct balance of power/volume/droning....for ME :smile:

Peace,
D

Old 03-24-2003, 01:20 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Instead of a new exhaust, you might consider stock exhaust with a new header. Quicksilver/London Stainless is a 4-1 and the MiniMania is 4-2-1. Both have metallic cats and the LS/QS claims to maintain emissions. Randy did not notice any noise increase and the QS/LS is claimed to give 12 hp.

Cheers,

Chuck

Old 03-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Keith's-S
1st Gear
>>Keith: Do you have any other impressions of the Borla? I think I'm getting one soon. Why do you prefer it over stock? Little more power/nicer tone? Thanks. JR

The Borla improves both the sound and power - OK, not as much as the Magnaflow, but at least I can live with driving the car. I also think it improves the look of the car. The sound takes the stock up a notch and keeps a similar pitch. It is a good choice if you want to round out the MCS package. If you judge mods by hp per $, I would get the intake and ECU upgrades first.

Old 03-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Thanks, Keith. I was thinking of going Quicksilver, but my dealer wants to use Mini Mania (who sells Borla). Since it's a trade, I'm thinking the QS is out. My wife would definitely be hating it if I got a loud exhaust. Silly reason to leave horsepower on the table, but such is life. JR

Old 03-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Whitney
1st Gear
brother,

I chose the Magnaflow based on it's power gains. My MCS is a daily driver and for me I just got used to the noise....and I actually must admit I love the sound from the Magnaflow.

Scott

Old 03-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Minibeast
4th Gear
I ended up going with the Mini Mania header and cat with a Quicksilver exhaust. Great combo. Just loud enough to get their attention when I want to and fairly quiet at cruising speed.

Old 03-24-2003, 06:35 PM
audball
1st Gear
I don't have my MINI yet (end of May), but I am fervently following all the exhaust threads on MCO. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good frame of reference to other's opinions to determine what I personally think is too loud. What would solve it for me would be an answer to this: for those with aftermarket exhausts, have you ever driven or ridden in a stock S2000? How would you compare your exhaust note loudness and/or drone against the S2K's exhaust? How would you compare your exhaust against the S2K's *engine* loudness?

Any responses would be appreciated!

Old 03-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I ordered the Borla today and should have it by next week. I was concerned about the noise issue and being able to hear after I got where I was going. Plus the wife said if it was to loud she would not be happy. Well we don't want that do we. Well I do want to know how difficult is the installation? Any hints on wha to do and what not to do? Thanks I'm excited about it. I can't believe she said yes when I asked.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:14 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
Use a lift and you need two people.I would not go through this on my back. Mike

Old 03-25-2003, 03:34 AM
Keith's-S
1st Gear
I have done three exhaust swaps: Stock to Magnaflow to stock to Borla. The whole job can be done with the back of the car on ramps. Getting at the bolts on the cat is a squeeze like that but I didn't find it necessary to lift the front. The only tricky part is getting the stock hangers removed from the rubber mounts after you have dropped the stock muffers. Coat them in lots of WD-40 and use a vice-grip to squeeze them as far as possible out of the rubber to get things started - then pull, twist and tug until they come free. Mount the new exhaust starting from the back of the car and only tighten the clamps when everything is in place. For the Borla, assemble the muffers, tips and Y-tube before mounting that part and get the width between the hangers right my measuring the mounts on the car. Then put on the main tubes after the muffers have been hung.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Minibeast
4th Gear
Bruce, let me know when you want to make the swap. (Been there done that!)
Not too difficult with a little help from your friends.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:45 PM
fms
5th Gear
I'm in the minority w/ my exhaust- I have a Cooper, and I have the Remus. I opted for it because it' s the one my dealer sells, and having them install it got me a full MINI warranty on it. I also liked what Gabe said about it on the Bridger MINI website. As far as power goes, I doubt that w/ the Cooper, an exhaust makes a ton of difference- a few horses more that 115 would be a pretty neglible increase- but as far as sound, I absolutely love it. It's never too loud, and it's never too subtle- it's just right. Not raspy, no drone, and it sounds great spooling up. Here's the web page:
Bridger.us/mini/exhaust

Old 03-25-2003, 05:31 PM
ghillie
2nd Gear
>>Ok, after reading the lengthy thread on exhaust, I would like to boil it down to this....What in everyones opinion is the best after market exhaust when you figure in performance gains/noise level?

Using the two criteria you have above, "performance gains/noise level" hands down the Supertrapp is the best. Lightest, cheapest, most power!!!

But if you add in the appearance part, well the 'trapp is also the ugliest. But the good thing is you don't have to look at it when you are driving the car. The only one that has to look at it is the other guy with the Mini who doesn't have the 'trapp! Cuz he's busy trying to keep up

Old 03-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>Bruce, let me know when you want to make the swap. (Been there done that!)
>>Not too difficult with a little help from your friends.

Mark I PM'd you. That would be a tremendous help. Thanks