Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mini Madness Intake vs K & N Typhoon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Gatorman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the K & N typhoon intake on their MCS? I like K & N products especially the filter elements that can be cleaned and reoiled. I have one on my truck and love it. All comments would be appreciated. I realize the mini madness filter can be reoiled also, but how about the quality of the filter element. Is it as good as the million mile K & N? By the looks of pictures I have seen of the K & N the one tube pulls air directly from the front scoop and blows it over the filter element which sits down in the original box and is somewhat shielded from engine heat. Cost of the K & N $261.00 (discount price) vs $239.00 for mini madness. Comments please.

Old 03-14-2003, 06:44 AM
GordonD
2nd Gear
The air from the front scop goes to cool the intercooler and does not feed into the engine itself. if you look just to the right of the intercooler at the top of the radiator you will see a slightly flattened tube - this is the airfeed to the air cleaner box. I believe some air also comes in from the grill just in front of the windshield.

I have the mini-madness one and i think the biggest advantage is the stainless heatsheild which completely isolates the intake from the engine bay. it butts right up against the underside of the hood.

the filter material looks very similar to K&N to me but I'm sure that a new cone filter would not be expensive if you ever had to buy one.

Old 03-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Storer
5th Gear
I was under hte impression that the heatsheild was only for the MC intake, not the MCS?

Old 03-14-2003, 08:40 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The madness intake for the MCS has a heat shield. I have it.

Old 03-14-2003, 09:05 AM
cdconsor
4th Gear
I know caddman has the Typhoon (check his dyno thread).

I was also wondering if the K&N filter could be used in conjunction with a Strut Brace. I know that the Madness filter can not (as of yet).

Thanks

Chuck

Old 03-14-2003, 03:57 PM
caddman
Banned
there is no reason that it could not be used with a strut brace, but the KN does lacke some design flaws as far as i am concered, btu they are easily fixed, the front of the typhoon where it goes in the air box is open which i do not like but a simple bent peice of aluminum and two hole one for the intake and one for the air scoop from the radiator grill(stock) coule be easily modeed to make it where it would not get any hot air from engine department, but i do like the fact that KN is the only one that replaces the tubes from the throttlebody to the filter and from the scoop to the throttle body area, getting away from the ugly stock rubber air hoses

Old 03-14-2003, 04:19 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>> i do like the fact that KN is the only one that replaces the tubes from the throttlebody to the filter and from the scoop to the throttle body area, getting away from the ugly stock rubber air hoses

Actually, doesn't the Monster Force Air Intake also replace the throttle body tubes?
Anyone have HP gains (or claims thereof) for the Typhoon or Monster Intakes?

Thanks,
Chuck