Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 2007 mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 PM
jiggajaymz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 mods

how long do you guys anticipate it will take before aftermarket parts start coming out for the '07 MCS?

Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
probably nearly right away. it's just a matter of how long it will take before they are fully and properly tested and refined...

Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by o-ron
probably nearly right away.
I seriously doubt that.

Here's what I recall from 2002.

• March - the MINI Cooper is released
  • Mid-May - the MCS is released
  • time passes
  • August - the Rogue intake is released as the very first intake for the MCS
  • Late in the year - a rear swaybar and springs were released
  • first quarter - the supercharger pulley mod was first released
  • early spring - Borla released the first MCS exhaust
  • Summer - Magnaflow and Quiksilver release exhausts and the first headers are available, h-sport releases their springs
I would expect something similar, maybe a little more rapid now that we have MINI tuning companies established.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiD
I seriously doubt that.

Here's what I recall from 2002.

• March - the MINI Cooper is released
  • Mid-May - the MCS is released
  • time passes
  • August - the Rogue intake is released as the very first intake for the MCS
  • Late in the year - a rear swaybar and springs were released
  • first quarter - the supercharger pulley mod was first released
  • early spring - Borla released the first MCS exhaust
  • Summer - Magnaflow and Quiksilver release exhausts and the first headers are available, h-sport releases their springs
I would expect something similar, maybe a little more rapid now that we have MINI tuning companies established.
Agreed! I seriously doubt that myself.

Marketing plays a BIG part as well, they will "well time" their releases for mods on the '07 to work out any "quirks" in designs, functionality etc...to make sure their profits are as best they can be.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
good thoughts.

i guess since it is a completely new engine it will still take time... can't really port over previous parts

Old 04-13-2006, 11:34 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
i don't know if i agree. the mini was a brand new thing when it came out with an unknown market, a market grew over time based on the enthusiasm towards the car, that enthusiasm will still be there when the 07 comes out. there most definitely will be a market for aftermarket parts, it is just a mater of how fast tuners can develop products for it. i predict there will be a race to have the first tuning options for the 07 mini, who ever comes out first will have a large market at there disposal and increased recognition. intakes will probably be the first thing to come out, followed by software upgrades and exhaust.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Probably right away. Supercharger swap kit, Headlight swap kit, bumper swap kit and on and on and on!

Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Within 30 days we will have some amazing products out for the '07 MCS that will produce some serious power. In fact, they will outperform anything else on the market! Stay tuned, we've got lots of exciting stuff in the pipeline, and should be ready to ship by mid-month.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Within 30 days we will have some amazing products out for the '07 MCS that will produce some serious power. In fact, they will outperform anything else on the market! Stay tuned, we've got lots of exciting stuff in the pipeline, and should be ready to ship by mid-month.
Am I experiencing deja-vu or have I actually heard similar claims before?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 AM
QuickSilverSTi
2nd Gear
New downpipe (two piece to swap out the cat for track days similar to the TXS or daddysscp piece for the STi)? Injectors? Larger Turbo? Custom ECU Tune? FMIC?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:31 PM
QuickSilverSTi
2nd Gear
No word on mods yet?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:38 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Uh oh... here comes another one of these threads...
No guys... they don't have dyno runs yet as they don't have a car yet...

I would hope that, with a turbo engine, some software mods will come out moderately quickly that should give you some fairly substantial gains.

One might hope that the mods would come along more quickly as before because MINI already has an established tuner base, but you have to realize that there will be a market sizing issue for the first year or so until enough cars can make it over to the US and make it into the hands of folks with the desire and cash for upgrades.

Does anyone know if the '07 MINI is the first car to be launched with this engine? If not, the MINI tuners might be able to capture on upgrades designed for the same engine in different cars to speed the design cycle.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
HPUdrew
4th Gear
I imagine one of the first modifications we will see will be a ram-air intake kit for the MCS. Since the scoop is not functional, yet there appears to be ample room over the engine, I have a feeling that will be out within 2 months of the car being stateside, if not sooner.

Someone else has mentioned that the suspensions may be the same, because the GP is supposed to have the aluminum rear-lower bars from the 07 model car... so that would mean that suspension mods would either carry over, or need very little adjustment.

Also, as has been mentioned, there will probably be some tuners out there with programming setups for to work with the new turbo.

I imagine we'll be seeing our first modified 07s by early summer of next year.

Drew

Old 08-27-2006, 07:08 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
The new engine design is enough of a gamble (takes a few years to get rid of nagging issues that do not immediately manifest themselves!...do not think I would be running out to try out mods right away! Also I bet, mini tightens up on the warranty claims as well!

Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
By the time I'm ready to plunk down for a 09/10 model, there will be some nice mods with plenty of testing miles on them. . . .

Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Isn't this engine already in use on some Pugeut or Citroen models? If so, it might be possible for mods to come out a little faster than what we saw with the 1st gen MINIs...

If there's an existing base out there already tuning these engines for Pugeut or Citroens then the first mods may be ones that were already developed and modified for installation on the 2nd gen MINIs...

With people already at work on the engine and figuring out what works and what doesn't, some of the development curve we saw with the 1st gen MINIs could be shorter...

My guess, we'll start seeing stuff 6 months after the first deliveries. Heck, I'd bet Webb, M7, Madness, Alta, Craven and others are already on the waiting lists to get their '07 mules...

Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, PSA is sourcing the parts, BMW is building the engine. I dont think that, other than proto-2nd gen, this engine actually exists yet.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
there are a lot of turbo tuners out there. with just a ecu upgrade a turbo car can make a hell of a lot more power for cheap money. watch a bet garrett has a chip or ecu for it quick.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:58 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
too funny

Old 08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HPUdrew
I imagine one of the first modifications we will see will be a ram-air intake kit for the MCS. Since the scoop is not functional, yet there appears to be ample room over the engine, I have a feeling that will be out within 2 months of the car being stateside, if not sooner.

Someone else has mentioned that the suspensions may be the same, because the GP is supposed to have the aluminum rear-lower bars from the 07 model car... so that would mean that suspension mods would either carry over, or need very little adjustment.

Also, as has been mentioned, there will probably be some tuners out there with programming setups for to work with the new turbo.

I imagine we'll be seeing our first modified 07s by early summer of next year.

Drew
I also look for this to be one of the first upgrades. The real problem will be whether the stock ECU can handle this without driveability suffering or running lean.

Next up would be downpipes from the turbo. The problem here is if the wastegate is too small to keep up the engine could easily overboost and run lean.

Both were the first products on the market for Subaru's STi. These were the problems we had. Until ECU modifications could be made that would fix these issues and create even more power.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First mods are available now!

Try an Apexi SAFC! Just need to find which wire to cut. Unichip should be fast, they just have to confirm the ECU connectors and the pin out.

But I'm hoping for some software that will give a few lbs more boost. Cheap and simple....

Matt

Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
SHRTSTAK
4th Gear
Old 08-29-2006, 01:30 PM
SHRTSTAK
4th Gear
You may not be able to find the car anywhere...but it exists .

That concept actually has the 170bhp motor that the Cooper S will see. It is a very neat concept.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
I'm thinking a center console replacment kit ASAP.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:24 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
It wouldnt take much of some backyard know how with the turbo to gain some boost out of it.....What size and brand turbo are they using.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 2007 mods