Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain QuickSilver Exhaust Install-d-mini-ero

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 08:30 PM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dennis,

Once again, thanks for being the pioneer (and taking the arrows in your back).

I hope the resonator will work for you. If it doesn't, maybe the third time will be the charm. :smile:

Best of luck to you,
JS

Old 03-07-2003, 08:39 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Dennis, you are insane, but that has nothing to do with the exhaust - shall we call it... journey .

I'd be happy to help with whatever course of action you want to take from here - let me know.

I think the resonator in line would help, but Graham has tried this plus changing the heat shielding and states that while reduced significantly, the "drone" is still there. Graham, care to input some more on the results?

If it comes down to it, I think you should ditch the exhaust (I'll take it back) and go with the pulley install. This of course would void the warranty, but the performance gain is VERY noticeable, and the cost is similar to the QS. The pulley doesn't drone - I guarantee it .

Let me know. I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime - honest!

Randy

Click It!

Old 03-07-2003, 08:53 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis, I left you a PM with my phone number. Let's talk about the QS.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:00 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Way to go D, and I'm waiting for the spring thaw report.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
Dennis, sorry the QS did not work out. You may recall that I have the same high sensitivity to drone/resonance as you so I was hoping that you'd like it. Bummer. So far, I'm convinced that there is no better exhaust for me than stock. Oh well.

If it makes you feel better, I went through the same thing as you with two other cars. In both cases I went through 3 mufflers before finding one that didn't kill my ears from drone/resonance; all of them clamined to not drone/resonated! Go figure!

Do yourself a favor and do the intake and pulley :smile:

Old 03-08-2003, 04:00 AM
jlm
6th Gear
quit complaining, d-minero! here is what I went thrrough (and I do all the work myself);

bought and installed the Rogue, but it didn't fit, hitting the battery box, so I added a 1-1/2" section to lengthen it. Went to the dragstrip, endured the drone on the hiway and stock Et's (with minimi s driving as well). Bought a Supertrapp, built a nice mandrel bent connector, went to the drags, similar drone, a bit louder and snappier tone, Et's ere a bit worse than the Rogue.

Fitted a quick change section that would accomodate Rogue, Supertrapp and stock and went to Helix. Ran each exhaust on their dyno, found a very minimal increase with the Rogue; droned on home. Sold the suppertrapp.

Rebuilt the Rogue Y-connector to make a satisfactory flowing joint, went out to visit
Rogue Engineering. They gave me two tiny trumpet inserts, fitted them and the drone went away. The biggest sound limiter now is the excess richnes in the air/fuel mix which takes the crispness out of the exhaust tone, but the loudness of the sound is just fine. The drags are just opening their season, so I haven't been back yet and a few other changes have happened anyway (pulley!!!), quaife, lightened flywheel, so I have alot to play around with and will be autox-ing. I may even fit a trailer hitch.

I also fitted a much better sound system, so the last thing I want is the dreaaded hiway drone.

I'm older than you anyway, never had a Cobra, but I had, and extensively re-built, an XK-120 and many, many motorcycles. c'est la vie.

Old 03-08-2003, 06:34 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
Somewhere in all the posts about exhaust drone there was a comment that the stock exhaust drones too. Does it? I've forgotten in the 6 weeks that I've had the QS. With two resonators and some sound deadening in the tunnel under the car, my MCS is fairly quiet with only a mild drone at highway speed. The exhaust noise is quickly replaced by intake noise during performance driving. A sound for the ears! I have Randy's airbox mod. I hope this helps. Dennis, I'm at home this morning so call me if you like.

Old 03-08-2003, 06:39 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>Somewhere in all the posts about exhaust drone there was a comment that the stock exhaust drones too. Does it?

There's a slight drone in a stock MCS. There's also a nice exhaust burbling noise after lifting the throttle.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:01 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
OK, I'm going to try and find a stock ride today and compare. The burbling on lifting the throttle is quite pronounced in my car and I can't say I remember hearing it at all before. Another thing is that the tip noise is very pronounced (as opposed to the dreaded drone) when you step on it. I can hear the tip noise coming through the rear hatch and I like that.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:10 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>burbling on lifting the throttle is quite pronounced in my car and I can't say I remember hearing it at all before.

It's subtle. Then again I can hear rattles in the stereo system that others cannot.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:22 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Morn'n all,

The saga continues....

6AM went to ..muffler world ...lol

Had my buddy ...take out the middle section of the QS ...(so not to ruin it), and had himbuild a new section and add a resonator. As it was early in the AM 2 cops decided to visit the garage as we were making a bit of noise. Funny thing is that they loved the MCS and asked if they could take it for a ride.... go figure...:smile:
Interested parties ...please give me a call.
Sooner is better.......than later

As my nature is to never quit until a problem is solved..my initial path is to wait on the touted....."drone free" from UUC system, and probably give it a shot when it's ready for shippment.

If the UUC people read these posts.....which I assume they must.
I'm available for "testing".....representing the "older" demographic .

I'm not quite ready for pulley and/or ecu chip upgrades quite yet,as the warrantee isuues are ...severe IMHO.

As always.....thanks for listening.....hope this helps by presenting yet another...opinion

Peace,
D

BTW..... Randy please give me a hollar today

Old 03-08-2003, 03:10 PM
mikehome1
3rd Gear
Quicksilver arrives Monday,install appointment Thursday.I'm have even older ears,they are both 55.My mcs is my only car,and if I had others I'd probably drive it anyway.
Continued comments seem to indicate that the qs isn't quite the stock bolt on as described;and my excessive freeway driving makes even any"drone" intolerable.
I assume the advice would be to not unwrap it and ship it back.Or if anyone wants it I live in Cincinnati.
I have installed the Rouge intake and am very pleased.I was attempting to do only those mods which wouldn't move the car out of stock glass for autocrossing.
Please advise before i go to the trouble and expense of installing. Mike

Old 03-08-2003, 04:29 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Mikehome1. Well I'm happy with mine. If you like I'll talk to you offline so you can ask all your questions. Just send me an email.

Old 03-08-2003, 11:18 PM
fms
5th Gear
d-mini-ero: it's not in the same class as the Borla, Magnaflow, Rogue, or Quicksilver, but the Remus exhaust DOES have a very nice sound-no rasp, doesn't drone at speeds, and adds a bit of business-like deeper burble at low speeds and idle. It's not a cat-back, but it is supposed to add a small handful of BHP. Has anyone done a dyno on this exhaust yet? I got it installed w/ delivery, so I've never had a stock system to compare for seat-of-the-pants performance response, etc. I DO very much like the extra presence it has, sounds very British- it's hard to ignore

Old 03-09-2003, 02:57 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
fms,
thanks for the info...i'll certainly look into it.
i feel this ....pull towards the uuc system...time will tell
peace,
d

Old 03-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Morales
4th Gear
>>fms,
>>thanks for the info...i'll certainly look into it.
>>i feel this ....pull towards the uuc system...time will tell
>>peace,
>>d

Dennis,
My $.02, but that UUC exhaust sounds very Magnaflow-ish in the video clips.

Seriously, I do hope it meets up to your expectations.
Good luck.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:58 PM
wrbrady
1st Gear
I also have the QS and it is a bit loud. You might see if someone can get you a small resonator that you could have installed between the muffler and the cat. You will not lose much if any power, will still have a sporter exhaust, but will be more to your liking. By the way, I am 58.

So far I have a Mini-madness intake, Evotech ECU and the QS exhaust, I am next going to do the supercharger pulley and than possibly a larger intercooler.

Old 03-09-2003, 04:23 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hello wrbrady,

1st let me welcome you to MCO...
It's a terrific place to talk to fellow mini enthusiasts :smile:
Take a look at my prior post....Mar 08, 2003 - 11:22 AM
I've tried that..unfortunatly to no avail

Peace,
D

Old 03-09-2003, 05:57 PM
0wen0
3rd Gear
>>So far I have a Mini-madness intake, Evotech ECU and the QS exhaust, I am next going to do the supercharger pulley and than possibly a larger intercooler.

Hi! I have almost the identical setup you do. I am thinking of doing the EVOTECH ECU. Do you like it? Did it make a difference? Have you had any problems with it? I'm very curious what people think of it.

Cheers,
Owen

Old 03-09-2003, 07:09 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>>>So far I have a Mini-madness intake, Evotech ECU and the QS exhaust, I am next going to do the supercharger pulley and than possibly a larger intercooler.
>>
>>Hi! I have almost the identical setup you do. I am thinking of doing the EVOTECH ECU. Do you like it? Did it make a difference? Have you had any problems with it? I'm very curious what people think of it.
>>

Yes I'm interested also! Please do tell.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:22 AM
districtofc
1st Gear
i installed the quicksilver and it is kinda loud, compared to stock that is (btw im 20 years old :smile. i would probably stick with stock if i had to do it again but couldn't be happier with the exhaust, it more than meets my expectations.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:20 AM
seemunkee
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear the QS didn't work out for you D. I may not be quite as old at 46 but after 15 years as a cabinetmaker I have lost some hearing and have tinnitus. The QS drone doesn't bother me all that much. Maybe the drone is in the frequency range that I have already some lost or the ringing in my ears masks it, but I'm happy with it. Hope you find a solution.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:44 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
d-mini-ero,

Have you thought of having a muffler shop weld custom tips in place of the tips on your stock exhaust? That should give you a sporty look with hardly any change in sound.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Morales
4th Gear
Dennis,
You could always go out and get one of those electric powered autos. I understand they don't drone at all.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:26 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>i installed the quicksilver and it is kinda loud, compared to stock that is (btw im 20 years old :smile. i would probably stick with stock if i had to do it again but couldn't be happier with the exhaust, it more than meets my expectations. >>>

So let me get this straight - If you had to do it all over again, you wouldn't do it. But it more than met your expectations and you couldn't be happier! Are you seriously contradicting yourself or is it just me????

Quick Reply: Drivetrain QuickSilver Exhaust Install-d-mini-ero