Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Intake Dyno tested by Mini Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:28 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The end is nearing, and the project is almost done. Will be sending to someone for dyno testing. Not sure if he wants me to say who, but if he wishes to chime in, by all means go for it. Hopefully will pull some good dyno numbers, and save the mini community some dough to put into more mods!!!!. Will post pictures when I get my new Digital Camera in a day or 2.

Mini Intake Project

Old 03-03-2003, 09:39 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say that looks very professional. To a normal person it looks like the Madness intake. I would be interested in purchasing this for under 200.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:44 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Nice job with the photo-documentary! Even though this is obviously not suitable for the non-S Cooper (which I drive), it was interesting to read through your chronicle of the development of the filter and housing.

Also, the obvious reason that the other available systems are "overpriced" is that very few people have the time and resources and desire to do what you have done, and create this project from scratch. Most are more than happy to pay $150 or $250 and be done with it. I have the Moss MINI intake ($120) on my Cooper, and love it! Great sound.

Good luck with your enterprise! I'm sure that many people here will be interested.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:55 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>The end is nearing, and the project is almost done. Will be sending to someone for dyno testing. Not sure if he wants me to say who, but if he wishes to chime in, by all means go for it. Hopefully will pull some good dyno numbers, and save the mini community some dough to put into more mods!!!!. Will post pictures when I get my new Digital Camera in a day or 2.
>>
>>Mini Intake Project

Sure, I'll chime in! I've been happy to assist MiniPilo in this project. He has had some good ideas, and with the new filter and some revisions, I'm really anticipating doing the comparo.

Randy

Old 03-04-2003, 06:28 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
>>>>The end is nearing, and the project is almost done. Will be sending to someone for dyno testing. Not sure if he wants me to say who, but if he wishes to chime in, by all means go for it. Hopefully will pull some good dyno numbers, and save the mini community some dough to put into more mods!!!!. Will post pictures when I get my new Digital Camera in a day or 2.
>>>>
>>>>Mini Intake Project
>>
>>Sure, I'll chime in! I've been happy to assist MiniPilo in this project. He has had some good ideas, and with the new filter and some revisions, I'm really anticipating doing the comparo.
>>
>>Randy
>>

The new filter ships out to me on wed, and it's only coming from 1 state away. I expect it this week. If I get it, it will be shipped out to you on monday!

Old 03-04-2003, 09:18 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Check this out. I've always known that these products exist, but never stumbled across them. Seems like it would advance the idea of using additional ducting to get air into the filter chamber.

Auto Ducting

(I can just see everyone running out to Home Depot to pick up some plumbing pipe to add another inlet

Jeff

Old 03-04-2003, 10:04 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Randy, this is what I was talking about for forced air into the air box. If a hood scoop could be found, we would have it.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:03 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Yep, that's what I thought you were talking about. A NACA duct - the precursor to NASA. They developed the design and it can be found at any racing supply store in any number of depths, sizes and variations. This would work great, but again the drawback would be cutting the bonnet.

Randy

Old 03-05-2003, 06:17 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Just got the new filter, Will be updating the site tonight! Did a quick test drive and sounds and runs nice. I'm going to send randy both the KN and the Green filter to be dyno'd and the higher performing will be included in the kit. I have to say though, I really like the look of the Green Filter, it stands out and say's "Look at me, I'm aftermarket "

Old 03-06-2003, 03:23 PM
rrmixn
2nd Gear
Have you checked out the Accel air filters? They are similar to the K&N and Green but come in a cool blue color. Would you be willing to sell just the metal part of your air cleaner? That way the ****-retentive ones could color co-ordinate the air cleaners to their cars. Just a thought. Check out mrgasket.com Thanks

Old 03-06-2003, 03:56 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
If people wish to buy just the heat shield, that would be something that you would have to work out with the retailers. I do not see any issue with that, but here is a better idea, Buy it with the green, get a KN filter, and an Accel Filter, and Color Coordinate with your clothes, for less than all the other intakes on the market!!!!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Slant
1st Gear
MiniPilo,

I'm trying to save a few bucks too... Without having to remove the stock air box in sub-zero Cdn weather, can you tell me what is the diameter of the stock rubber/plastic air intake hose which connects to the air box? Also, is the end of this hose (the point that attaches to the air box) made of soft rubbery rubber or hard plastic?

Old 03-06-2003, 06:30 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
it's a 2.5" hose, but can stretch to 2-5/8 (which is the opening that I use to help shove more air in it's throat. And I guess that it answers your second question, it's rubbery

Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Any dyno results on this yet? I think foam might be the way to go as long as you keep the filter oiled but I am somewhat concerned about long term deterioration of the foam. Who is selling this now?

Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Dyno Results

After several runs today, I finally have the numbers for the MiniPilo intake. With the Green Filter UK filter element, we saw some consistent numbers.

6-7 horspower
3-5 lb/ft

$145

This unit was a prototype, so the finish wasn't production quality, but that will change with production. What I mean by that is the first working prototype had no battery terminal holder and the intake tube was not part of the heat shield. The additional cost of making the intake tube part of the heat shield is not raising the cost, and the terminal connector was always part of the original design.

The Green Filter unit just looks trick, and the quality is very high. They have an outstanding product - check out the website at http://www.greenfilterusa.com .

They will be available through MINI-Motorsport in the near future after the production run has been made. Pictues of the prototype unit are in this thread above - the pictures of the first production units will follow shortly.

Feel free to contact me or PM MiniPilo if you have any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Click It!

Old 04-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Antranik
4th Gear
How is this intake different from mini madness's product?

Old 04-05-2003, 03:05 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
well, what you can do is line the inside of it with 100 One Dollar Bills from all the money you save. But really it is similar in concept, different Filter Element though. HP marks are right around the same.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:50 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
MiniPilo,

Kudos 2u mi amigo.......

I've been following your progress...from almost day one as you began posting here.

It looks terrific, the HP gains are absolutely in line and the cost is ...outstanding.

You win....and thanks to you we all win.....

All who purchase your product will win !!!!!!!!

Your entrepreneurial spirit.....deserves a round of applause

Peace,
D

Old 04-07-2003, 03:01 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to send me a pre-production intake, I'll slap a magnehelic on its ***.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:41 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>If you want to send me a pre-production intake, I'll slap a magnehelic on its ***.

I'm convinced Andy gets more fun out of his little tools and what have you than actually driving.

Andy, throw the car in a wind tunnel and come up with a defuser of some kind that will stop the back of the car getting so dirty.

Paul

Old 04-07-2003, 04:57 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
>>If you want to send me a pre-production intake, I'll slap a magnehelic on its ***.

Andy,

PM me if you would like to work something out.. I will be getting production units in about 2 weeks

Old 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
Looks good MiniPilo! Congrats on the results.

Old 04-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
>>>> I will be getting production units in about 2 weeks
<<

So Pilo: Two weeks and two days later, what's the news?

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 04-23-2003, 05:12 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Ryan,

I'll be carrying and distributing these for minipilo. We just talked to the production house today, and it looks like early next week the production units should be ready.

So far, I only have two preorders - David T. and Chris S. If you want to get one of the first (15 will be the initial run) just give me a call to get on the list.

The cost for these is $148.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 04-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Strad
1st Gear
Randy-

What are your feelings on the MiniPilo intake vs. the others that you carry -Mini Madness, Pipercross and BMP? Looks to me like by far the most bang (or gulp...) for the buck is the Mean Green Pilo Machine. Would you concur?

Geoff Stradling
aka Strad

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New Intake Dyno tested by Mini Motorsport