Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Porting a Eaton M45 SC. Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:04 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porting a Eaton M45 SC. Can it be done?

Just was reading another thread from back in 04. Any news since then? What can be gained by doing it? What is involved? How is the hp gain? How does it sound?

Chili

Old 11-21-2005, 09:36 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I'm no expert at this but is that similar/same as what M7 offers?

http://m7tuning.com/products/sc.html

Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This has been covered extensively so it won’t take much effort to extract the info using the search function. In a nut shell here are the two main modifiers: http://www.theoldone.com/components/...ead_modifi.htm and http://www.stiegemeier.com/index1.html

How does it sound? Second hand reporting on the Stiegemeier version is “effortless”; I would interpret that as quiet/non-obtrusive. First hand on Endyn’s version with a 19% reduction pulley; subdued whine up to hellish shrill depending on the intake, exhaust and belt.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theoldone's work is beautiful. If the money was available his parts would be on my MINI.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-huevo
Second hand reporting on the Stiegemeier version is “effortless”
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was/is my first-hand reporting on my ported supercharger from M7. The charger spools much easier and nicer, from my experience, hence "effortless." The sound is totally different- wish I could capture it on file... I'll get on that.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was/is my first-hand reporting on my ported supercharger from M7. The charger spools much easier and nicer, from my experience, hence "effortless." The sound is totally different- wish I could capture it on file... I'll get on that.
is there any #s on this...like intake temp differences and ofcourse I am interesting if there are HP gains...in the end I know every little bit adds up...I am just curious if there is any data...

Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
is there any #s on this...like intake temp differences and ofcourse I am interesting if there are HP gains...in the end I know every little bit adds up...I am just curious if there is any data...
Honestly no. I didn't have the funds or time to pursue data logging at the time since it was not in any way going to affect the development of my car. The dyno that did my initial runs could not/would not do torque and A/F logging, [and they nearly allowed my friend's car to jump off the rollers not long after I got my baseline runs in], so I was not in the mood to take any chances with dynoing locally.

I aplogize for this fact, but I don't have a job and so I have no stable source of income. If I was closer to someone with telemetry equipment, I'd offer my car for testing. But, no one around here is very serious into that, that I have met at least. Thus, I can only speak from my experience.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Honestly no. I didn't have the funds or time to pursue data logging at the time since it was not in any way going to affect the development of my car. The dyno that did my initial runs could not/would not do torque and A/F logging, [and they nearly allowed my friend's car to jump off] the rollers not long after I got my baseline runs in, so I was not in the mood to take any chances with dynoing locally.

I aplogize for this fact, but I don't have a job and so I have no stable source of income. If I was closer to someone with telemetry equipment, I'd offer my car for testing. But, no one around here is very serious into that, that I have met at least. Thus, I can only speak from my experience.
it's all goood...if anyone in AZ is going to do this PM me...I'd get a basline and then follow up after the port and polish. yes yes..chances are I'll have to do it my self...LOL...YAY!!

Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
it's all goood...if anyone in AZ is going to do this PM me...I'd get a basline and then follow up after the port and polish. yes yes..chances are I'll have to do it my self...LOL...YAY!!
Thanks Tuls :smile:. You are a good man. If the opportunity arises, I'll jump on it. Things are a little crazy right now, so I can't make any promises on delivery.

PS: If you're ever coming to Florida, I'll trade you room and board for the logging .

Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Thanks Tuls :smile:. You are a good man. If the opportunity arises, I'll jump on it. Things are a little crazy right now, so I can't make any promises on delivery.

PS: If you're ever coming to Florida, I'll trade you room and board for the logging .
no prob...

Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I totally forgot about M7. Never heard of theoldone.com though. I would love to see numbers on this and a intake manifold mod.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Minirowski
2nd Gear
Theoldone.com did a fantastic job, it looks like a mirror.

Does anyone have an idea how much HP actually we can gain after this mod?

I'm not talking about making intake valves bigger just to take out the roughness on the block and the head.