Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Borla Race to Quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Borla Race to Quiet?

I’m a lucky guy.

Finding our exhaust way to quiet for our “sports car” background, we bit the bullet and got a Borla Race (aka “aggressive”). We drive home from the dealer, and this is SO COOL, my wife shuts of the XM radio (which she listens to constantly), rolls down the windows and says "Make this thing sing" which is her way of saying "get over 4500". And so we drove home, with the radio off, the windows down, just listening to the low burbling, the mellow tones, and the SC whine.

How cool is that? I'm a lucky guy.

So we're driving along and I ask is this too loud for her. You know, the dreaded "drone" thing? Her answer: "Is that it? I thought it was going to be loud ... isn't this about like how all our other cars sounded?" To put this into perspective, we’ve driven maybe 40K miles cross-country in both a supercharged and turbocharged MR2 and you aint heard "drone" until you've heard it for 12 hours straight with not only the exhaust 2.5 feet behind you but the SC constantly whining a foot from your ear behind the firewall.

As we get home, she says: “I guess I’m not listening to XM anymore” (it’s her car).

Burble Burble.

Is that a cool wife or what?

On a serious note, it really is nowhere near as loud as I expected. Maybe we’re just used to loud cars. It does have a nice deep tone though! No, I don't want a supertrapp, LOL. We're used to Supersprints.

Plz note I’m not trying to imply anything here. Just my opinion and I’m sure there are many lucky guys out there and many women who love their cars too!!! And I'm sure there are other exhausts out there that make more HP or whatever ... Tone is all a personal choice.