Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercooler difference 02-03-04 vs 05

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler difference 02-03-04 vs 05

I might be wrong about the 04, but I know the 02 and 03 sit about 1/2 inch lower than the 05. I discovered this difference today at the San Antonio dealership. So who cares, right? Wrong. What I want to know is if the difference is simply the engine mounting or more importantly the two "C" vents that connect to the intercooler, SC and head. If they are different, does the additional height translate into more distance between the IC and the engine, for better airflow and less backpressure? If that is the case, I would like to change my 03 parts for 05 parts. Obviously MINI is not that worried about debris damaging into the IC as it is more exposed now than in the older models. Would somebody check part numbers between models to see if the relevant parts are the same or not? Thanks.

Somebody else pointed out that the old models have 4 bars across the hood grill, versus the 05 model that has only 3, for better airflow. Maybe I should take 2 bars from my 03.

Bomboasy

Old 08-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interresting!

Keep us posted, easy small improvements that have "Mini" stamped on them sound good. Let's hope they didn't change for cost savings at the price of performance.....

Let us know what you dig up!

Matt

Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
obehave
6th Gear
That would mean the hood diverter would be different as well.

I think measurements are in order here. Are the monting bosses different? Rise height from the block or intake. Standing height of the IC inlet/outlet horns would be an easy measurement..

Interesting.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
The most interesting part is that the rubber piece that directs the air, just behind the plastic opening of the hood scoop is different also. The lip of the rubber piece is at the same level as plastic cover of the IC. That curved piece that is at the middle of the IC cover ends at the middle of the opening, really working as it should, in the 05. In the 02, 03 and probably the 04, that curved piece is below the lip of the rubber piece at the end of the opening of the hood scoop. That is because the rubber piece in the 03 is longer and angled up. That angled piece does not exist in the 05. To make things simple, if you have an 05, please post a picture, with flash, of your hood scoop opening, with hood closed. If you have an 03, please do the same. My 03 hood scoop is modified and does not represent the stock setup. I cut the rubber piece angled up. It will all make more sense if we have pictures, so grab your camara and get some shots. Once you see the pictures, you realize that they are night and day. Maybe this is where the 05 picked up some of those 5 HP.

I do not have access to an 05 to make caliper measurements of the horns. I live in Austin, 80 miles away from San Antonio, the nearest dealer. I am very curious to see if they are different. They could have to be less bent in the middle. That would be good for airflow. A more gentle turn for the air to get to the IC. A good indication of this would be if they have different part numbers. I do agree, measurements are in order.

Bomboasy

Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did side by side comparisons. The differences are: the hood scoop rubber threshold on the early models as opposed to the plastic rigid cutout threshold on the 05 models and the shape of the under hood diverter. The new intercooler cover screws are silver instead of black.

The intercooler is in the same position on both models.

I see and advantage to having the original rubber piece when it fits correctly and I can see a possible advantage to having the airflow redirection found on the new under hood diverter. The new plastic scoop-opening piece by virtue of its cutaway juts the front squared edge of the intercooler cover into the flow path, which may be counterproductive.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
I see that the air duct (under hood piece), the hood insulation and the grill trim ring have changed part numbers after 10/04. According to RealOEM.com the hood, air inlet trim ring (scoop) and hood grill have not changed part numbers. To my eye the headlights on the 05 look more upright than earlier models.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:55 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
It seem so obvious that the IC in the 05 sits higher than the others. I am glad that some of you have looked and found some differences in the area. I was also able to do some side by side comparisons at the dealership on Friday. I am going back to San Antonio probably Wednesday to pickup my car. I am taking my Calipers with me this time and will talk to the service men about it. Sounds like my eyes are playing tricks on me, but will let the Calipers do the talking. If any difference really exists, it is very important for me for a project that I am working on.

Bomboasy

Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't measure the heights of the brackets, but the '05 and '03 look the same to me:

'03:

'05:

Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
OK, I spend a good 2 hours at the dealer in San Antonio looking at every single available MCS' hood scoop. There is a differences in height between samples in regards to the intercooler and the hood diverter. It is not model dependent, as I suspected, and the mechanic could not explain it. It can vary 1/2 inch up or down. Not sure how this is possible, but it is clear that it is not a design change.

Also, there are 3 different versions of the hood diverter. 02 to 03 have a rubbery soft hood diverter that has an angled flap that goes upwards and overlaps with the IC cover. 04 and 05 have a plastic hood diverter that has no angled flap. It does have two cutoffs at the edge close to the IC cover, but it does not touch it. 05 has a plastic hood diverter that is even shorter than the second version, in its distance to the IC cover. That means the gap is bigger. This third version is what is available for replacement at the part department, only.

This case is closed. thumbsup:

Bomboasy

Originally Posted by k-huevo
I did side by side comparisons. The differences are: the hood scoop rubber threshold on the early models as opposed to the plastic rigid cutout threshold on the 05 models and the shape of the under hood diverter. The new intercooler cover screws are silver instead of black.

The intercooler is in the same position on both models.

I see and advantage to having the original rubber piece when it fits correctly and I can see a possible advantage to having the airflow redirection found on the new under hood diverter. The new plastic scoop-opening piece by virtue of its cutaway juts the front squared edge of the intercooler cover into the flow path, which may be counterproductive.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
I found the reason the intercooler appears to be taller on some cars and just right on others, it’s the hood/bonnet latch adjustment .

Old 09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
OK, I'll buy that and next time I see you I will buy lunch.

Bomboasy

Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bomboasy
Maybe this is where the 05 picked up some of those 5 HP.
I don't think so. I think I've read in several places its all in the different software?