Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Accommodate for 19%

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:02 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodate for 19%

Ok im thinking about going to the dark side and putting in a 19% pulley.

for this iam planning on:

19% pulley + belt
MTH software
380cc injectors
Denso Ik22 plugs

is there much else i should include to accomdoate for the 19% pulley? Pls let me know if i missed out on something else

Thanks in advance

Old 08-02-2005, 04:44 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Though there are detractors, I think an upgraded intercooler would be a nice addition to those mods. More boost = more heat. The upgraded intercooler purports to handle the extra heat, resulting in less loss, allowing you to keep more of your gain.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:51 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing needed with the 19% pulley is the appropriate size belt.

Colder range plugs are a good idea.

The larger injectors with a program designed to manage them correctly, if you want to make a little more power and add some extra margin of safety.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may think about doing 17% on the S charger and a 2% on the crank. Most belt breakage on the 19% has been blamed on the smaller diameter radius. That's what I'm going to do.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
bouray
3rd Gear
Agree with k-huevo. We ran the 19, plugs, and 400's(which are coming out for 440's soon) for quite a while before getting a remap. AFR's with the stock ECU were quite good (dyno'd stock ECU vs remap). The remap made a little more hp and tq, by leaning out just a bit and raising the redline (within vendor claims). So you are ok if you wanted to hold off on the remap. If I had to do it again, I think I'd have skipped the remap and gone straight to the apexi to dial in the entire AFR vs rpm for my exact car and mods keeping the stock ECU. The car is not tracked and never broke a belt with a 19.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bouray
Agree with k-huevo. We ran the 19, plugs, and 400's(which are coming out for 440's soon) for quite a while before getting a remap. AFR's with the stock ECU were quite good (dyno'd stock ECU vs remap). The remap made a little more hp and tq, by leaning out just a bit and raising the redline (within vendor claims). So you are ok if you wanted to hold off on the remap. If I had to do it again, I think I'd have skipped the remap and gone straight to the apexi to dial in the entire AFR vs rpm for my exact car and mods keeping the stock ECU. The car is not tracked and never broke a belt with a 19.
The experiences with the 19% or 15% SC 4% CP are very different. Mine because I live in TX? I have the 15/4, alta IC, AFC, Plugs, stock injectors. The car runs so lean that at 5600 rpm we've had to add 12% back to the fuel and it needs more. With the 12% the car is throwing a P0108 code i.e. Map sensor high. I'm now hopefull that Franz can rewrite my MTH to get me enough fuel so that the adjustments we make to the AFC keep the car from throwing codes.

We are pulling 16.5 psi of boost but the whp is way below what we were lead to believe.

If I were just starting this series of mods again, I wouldn't. Not without clearly understanding that I was creating a money hole that would never get filled up.

Just my .02c

Bob

Old 08-03-2005, 08:52 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by synergy1
The experiences with the 19% or 15% SC 4% CP are very different. Mine because I live in TX? I have the 15/4, alta IC, AFC, Plugs, stock injectors. The car runs so lean that at 5600 rpm we've had to add 12% back to the fuel and it needs more. With the 12% the car is throwing a P0108 code i.e. Map sensor high. I'm now hopefull that Franz can rewrite my MTH to get me enough fuel so that the adjustments we make to the AFC keep the car from throwing codes.

We are pulling 16.5 psi of boost but the whp is way below what we were lead to believe.

If I were just starting this series of mods again, I wouldn't. Not without clearly understanding that I was creating a money hole that would never get filled up.

Just my .02c

Bob
The "code" you are seeing is not because of improper tunning or lean AF. It is because the factory sensor cannot read boost levels that high.

I have a similair setup to you, except for the header, and with the 19% pulley without the crank pulley I have pulled 200whp. I feel like this was a very good number. What numbers did you see? Do you have your AF charts?

Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
The "code" you are seeing is not because of improper tunning or lean AF. It is because the factory sensor cannot read boost levels that high.

I have a similair setup to you, except for the header, and with the 19% pulley without the crank pulley I have pulled 200whp. I feel like this was a very good number. What numbers did you see? Do you have your AF charts?
Sorry, meant to say that the code comes because we have to adjust the AFC to provide 12% more fuel to "take it out of the lean condition". I know this because when the AFC is set to zero across the board no error code. It only come into play when we make adjustments in excess of 10%

Best whp is 194. AF without AFC set was 16/1 15/1 14/1 at 5600 rpm.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Sorry, meant to say that the code comes because we have to adjust the AFC to provide 12% more fuel to "take it out of the lean condition". I know this because when the AFC is set to zero across the board no error code. It only come into play when we make adjustments in excess of 10%

Best whp is 194. AF without AFC set was 16/1 15/1 14/1 at 5600 rpm.
Ahh... I see that makes since. The AFC modifies the MAP signal. By richining the mixture you are making it read more boost.

Your AF is terrible. Put some injectors on that thing before you melt a piston.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
Ahh... I see that makes since. The AFC modifies the MAP signal. By richining the mixture you are making it read more boost.

Your AF is terrible. Put some injectors on that thing before you melt a piston.
I'd love to put injectors in but I've run out of money. So I'm going to have to rely on Franz setting it up for me.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
I have the 15/4, alta IC, AFC, Plugs, stock injectors. The car runs so lean that at 5600 rpm we've had to add 12% back to the fuel and it needs more.
Bob
I'm not aware of anybody that runs a 19 with sock injectors. I would not think this is a typical setup that many (any?) would recommend. My point was that with the larger injectors that are essential when running the 19, depending on your mods, the stock ECU might do ok and it may be advisable to put the car on a dyno so that you can decide if, based on the AFR's, a remap of any sorts can get you much. That's all. I agree with Spillman, man get some bigger injectors in that rig .

Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 19% pulley with stock injectors and stock program. I’m alternating between stock and Shark Injector and can’t tell the difference. With the 15%, the Shark made on and off throttle much smoother. With the 19% pulley, the reaction to throttle inputs and acceleration is more linear, much like Shark + 15% pulley but, of course with more zip. I’m data logging and don’t see any negative effects from using the stock stuff. I pull the plugs and everything is ok. I live in Texas too; the car on the 19% runs better than 15% back in colder weather. Once I figure how I can do without my car for a few days, I will send the ECU off to have the flash and will install larger injectors because; I prefer to have some headroom. However, at this point I’m not experiencing any downside.

There must be other factors at work with those other folks having so many problems. The 19% pulley is getting a bad rap and I don’t agree based on what I’m driving.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:05 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm not aware of anybody that runs a 19 with sock injectors. I would not think this is a typical setup that many (any?) would recommend.
Until GIAC developed it's map for the 19% pulley and larger injectors, most people ran a 19% pulley with stock injectors and map

Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
interesting feed back - keep em coming

Old 08-03-2005, 04:54 PM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
I have a 19% pulley with stock injectors and stock program. I’m alternating between stock and Shark Injector and can’t tell the difference. With the 15%, the Shark made on and off throttle much smoother. With the 19% pulley, the reaction to throttle inputs and acceleration is more linear, much like Shark + 15% pulley but, of course with more zip. I’m data logging and don’t see any negative effects from using the stock stuff. I pull the plugs and everything is ok. I live in Texas too; the car on the 19% runs better than 15% back in colder weather. Once I figure how I can do without my car for a few days, I will send the ECU off to have the flash and will install larger injectors because; I prefer to have some headroom. However, at this point I’m not experiencing any downside.

There must be other factors at work with those other folks having so many problems. The 19% pulley is getting a bad rap and I don’t agree based on what I’m driving.
Has your car been dyno'd? That's where we saw the A/F issues. You may want to get yours done as soon as you can. I don't know that you have issues but it's possible if your ratio's were as bad as mine that you could have detonation.

Bob

Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM
bouray
3rd Gear
Other vendors had injectors and maps that provided good AFRs before the GIAC setup. And those that cared enough to run a dyno and look at AFR's warned against an overlean condition at higher rpms with stock injectors and a 19. Definitely this would depend on how severely the car was modified to increase the airflow. For third and last time I'm simply suggesting that you get the AFR data and make your decision based on how your car handles the mods. I don't know many butt dynos that provide that data .

Oh and by the way, 19 is the only way to go for street driving. I'd never bash it.

Originally Posted by MINIAC
Until GIAC developed it's map for the 19% pulley and larger injectors, most people ran a 19% pulley with stock injectors and map

Old 08-03-2005, 07:21 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
I'm not aware of anybody that runs a 19 with sock injectors. I would not think this is a typical setup that many (any?) would recommend. My point was that with the larger injectors that are essential when running the 19, depending on your mods, the stock ECU might do ok and it may be advisable to put the car on a dyno so that you can decide if, based on the AFR's, a remap of any sorts can get you much. That's all. I agree with Spillman, man get some bigger injectors in that rig .
I had the 19% with stock injectors forever. Probably 30k+ miles, I'm not sure. There's no problem with it - it runs safe and it runs great (power-wise). The GIAC and injectors make it even better and absolutely knock your socks off in the extreme heat.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Other vendors had injectors and maps that provided good AFRs before the GIAC setup. And those that cared enough to run a dyno and look at AFR's warned against an overlean condition at higher rpms with stock injectors and a 19.
That was just vendor hype. I saw several 19% dynos and none showed an overlean condition.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:42 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
When mine was dyno'd with 19%, it produced AFRs in the low 12s to high 11s, from 4500 all the way to redline. And I am still using the old Webb/Powerchip ECU.

15% for 20,000 miles, 19% for 30,000 miles, several trackdays, many auto-xs, lots of hard driving, no problemo.

I did change the belt every 10K miles, whether it looked bad or not (it didn't).

Now using 16% with 3% Alta crank pulley for the same effect as 19%. 6,000 more miles on the clock (66,000 total). Still using Webb (which leans out the car over stock), still no problems.

I do have M7 400CC injectors.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:06 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
Now using 16% with 3% Alta crank pulley for the same effect as 19%. 6,000 more miles on the clock (66,000 total). Still using Webb (which leans out the car over stock), still no problems.

I do have M7 400CC injectors.
This is the combo I'm moving toward, except I'm thinking of JCW injectors. What redline do you observe?

Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Although the Webb will go to 7250, I try to obey a self-imposed 6500.

At some auto-x events, I may get higher, but only for a moment.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Other vendors had injectors and maps that provided good AFRs before the GIAC setup.
Which vendors?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
If you're in CA (the land of crapola 91 octane gas), I'd be leary of putting on a 19% (especially on an 05 or newer MINI). The car will run great, but you'll get a whole lot of ping, ping, ping...

Old 08-04-2005, 09:41 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
Is there any way other than the dyno to determine A/F ratio's? How can you determine if the dyno machine is reporting A/F's correctly? I'm seeing answers all over the block on dyno's with a 19% configuration. My own negative experience and the guy from New Jersey who's experiences are great.

Is there an engine error code that would tell you if the car is running too lean? I know you can blow the car up but short of that.

Bob

Old 08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
spillman
5th Gear
You don't have to go to the dyno to see if the car is running lean. Find yourself a wideband 02 sensor and put a load on it and watch it as you go up through the rpm's.

However you could spend a day at the dyno for the price of one of thoose little beauties.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Accommodate for 19%